Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Inland
    Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 8:09pm
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 8:15pm
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 8:18pm
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 8:22pm
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 8:23pm
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2022 at 8:25pm
Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 9:41am
Beautiful unit anyone would be proud to own!!
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 9:47am
I know inland was the most prolific manufacturer but I love them and WRA thanks!
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 12:06pm
A super nice early Inland carbine!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 12:38pm
Agree very nice. Can't make out the full serial# is it a 200K? how about the barrel date?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 2:25pm
Inland made the most, and the best! Don't let anyone tell you differently! Fine looking early inland you got. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2022 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Garandy Garandy wrote:

I know inland was the most prolific manufacturer but I love them and WRA thanks!

Very nice Inland.
And thank you for using the WRA moniker and for not using the offensive term, 'Winnie'. Smile
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
M1Dude View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2022 at 12:59pm
Beautiful Carbine,  gonna guess 2-43 for the barrel date.  Would love to see a better pic of the marking to the left of the bolt.  
Bob-K- View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-K- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2023 at 6:30pm
Very nice looking carbine.
Freedom View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2023 at 6:12pm
You have a fine carbine. I have had seven Inlands in the past. Now I have one good shooter left. All but two Of the seven carbines  were great shooters. 
Garandy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2023 at 8:24am
you mean in the wood rail a symbol?
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 11:45am
serial number 208499, barrel 2-43. I have other photos of this carbine.

Every original Inland with a 2-43 barrel or earlier has a black oxide/blued finish. Every original Inland with 4-43 and later barrel has a phosphate finish. At least, that has been my observation.
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 2:33pm
"Every original Inland with a 2-43 barrel or earlier has a black oxide/blued finish. Every original Inland with 4-43 and later barrel has a phosphate finish. At least, that has been my observation."

It was brought to my attention that the above statement does not exactly align with the article I wrote in newsletter 346 back in 2008. In the article I mentioned an Inland SG carbine that had a 5-43 barrel and a black oxide finish (serial number 702458). That carbine was a COM in Newsletter 229 (November, 1995). In the notes it was reported that "the rear half of the barrel, encased in wood, is blued. The lower part of the receiver, encased in the wood, is blued." This observation was made before it was understood that Inland used a black oxide finish in early production and changed to a phosphate finish at some point in the Spring of 1943. What I take from the notes is a carbine with a black oxide finish that has been grit blasted on the exposed surfaces to dull the finish. I looked through my records and found photos of another Inland SG carbines with a 4-43 barrel that also has a black oxide finish. At any rate, it does appear that a few carbines with 4-43 or 5-43 barrels will have a black oxide finish.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Garandy Garandy wrote:

you mean in the wood rail a symbol?

Hello Andrew,
Was that marking ever determined if it was a Inspection mark applied on some pre-250,000 Inlands, the Ducks Foot or the Eagle Head?
Similar and different versions have been seen on other Carbines, M1 Garands and 1911's.
I've had your picture saved since 2010 

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2023 at 8:56pm
5-42 Inland SN 3xxx
In the slingwell: Inspection, Ducks foot, Eagles head ? 

1-43 Inland

M1 duck foot.jpg

???

IMG_8955-1.jpg

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>