The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this doing in my Carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this doing in my Carbine?
    Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:08am
Greetings carbon based life forms, 

A little back story: I got my first carbine from the Midway batch whenever that was, I think last summer. Its an Inland, 3.07. Interesting mix of parts (type one band, type 2 bolt with type one firing pin and a type of 3 adjustable sight). Anyways, I have had the gun since then, and have shot several thousand rounds out of it. Well, I finally got around to filling out the data sheet and submitting it to Dan Pinto, and he pointed something out to me. I had put that it had the bushing in the rear of the receiver, and he states it should not. Well, upon closer inspection of the " bushing" i discovered I could PUSH the "bushing" using a punch small enough to get into the hole in the back of the receiver. I wondered if I could get it out to see what it was, and I did. I found a ROCK, that I will include a picture of. Now, I have not shot the carbine since removing the rock, or as I first thought, "bushing", but have noticed that the slide seems to not have as much "oomph" when released. 

My question, what in tarnation is the rock doing in it! I am tempted to put it back in. "If it aint broke dont fix it" LOL

I mean, I have shot it (my most reliable shooter with the rock in it), taken it apart and cleaned it dozens and dozens of time (more than necessary) and it has always remained in place until I decided I needed it to come out and see what it really was.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:16am
My guess is somebody might have tried to add some strength to the operating spring….the economical way. Or, it got in there by complete accident when it was being cleaned or disassembled for some reason. I think it’s pretty hard to figure it just fell in by accident though. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:47am
If you look at the rear hole in the receiver, you can guess as to why I thought it was some sort of bushing! 
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:58am
I believe Floyd nailed it and that is someone's attempt to get more life out of a worn out spring. To get a rock in there one would have to hammer it in I would imagine so an accident is unlikely in my opinion. It's even flat on the end the spring would rest against so I believe it is definitely intentionally inserted. I would keep the Rock with your carbine items though if it were mine because that is part of its history. Someone did that out of country since that's where the Midway carbines came from
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 11:15am
While they may not have had to pound it to get it in there as I was able to push it out with a little pressure, I think you may be correct. 
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 11:23am
When you go to shoot it again rebel, you may want to take along a spare New Old stock usgi recoil spring with you because it very well may start hiccuping if you use the same spring without the rock now. Or it may very well chug right along as if nothing happened but I would take a spare new spring just in case.hth
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 11:37am
I think you should put the rock back in - without it it's not a rare "ROCK"-ola . That would be a great GunBroker description...
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 12:20pm
Jond, yep, I have already thought about that. Only problem is, NOT ONE OF MY "NOS"  Recoil springs measures 10.25!!! Dont even get me started about how much that drives me nuts.. they are all shorter. 

GotSnlB28, yeah, its not a line out, its a rock-out Big smile
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

Jond, yep, I have already thought about that. Only problem is, NOT ONE OF MY "NOS"  Recoil springs measures 10.25!!! Dont even get me started about how much that drives me nuts.. they are all shorter. 

GotSnlB28, yeah, its not a line out, its a rock-out Big smile
If it's a shooter get a Wolf Springs spring kit, I believe about $18.00
David Milisock
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 12:42pm
Aren't the wolf springs all extra power though? I've heard mixed reviews on them that it makes some carbines run good and turns others into jamimatics. I've heard their magazine springs are all excellent though
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 1:10pm
After close inspection, The rock is unmarked and I believe it to be a reproduction. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 1:54pm
Ethan, are you sure it is just a rock and not a raw diamond or a rock of crack? Maybe that is how the Italians smuggle stuff.LOL
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Ethan, are you sure it is just a rock and not a raw diamond or a rock of crack? Maybe that is how the Italians smuggle stuff.LOL

Now that you mention it, I did get really jittery after handling it. I will send you a sample for "testing" 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Jond41403 Jond41403 wrote:

Aren't the wolf springs all extra power though? I've heard mixed reviews on them that it makes some carbines run good and turns others into jamimatics. I've heard their magazine springs are all excellent though
They have both standard and extra power recoil springs. I believe the spring kits are extra power recoil springs and the standard power is sold individually but I'm not sure. I always get the kits as they have all the springs for the rifle for peanuts.

What I can tell you is that I've installed dozens of the extra power recoil springs in 30 Carbines without any issues. I own 2 shooters myself an Inland and a Quality Hardware. All springs and complete bolts replaced, they shoot like it's 1943.
David Milisock
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 5:30pm
Thank you for the feedback, I have been on the fence about them. I may have to give them a try
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 5:48pm
If in doubt buy the kit and a standard power. I buy the extra power because it reduces the force that the slide has at the extremes of it's travel. I do what I can to reduce wear on the receivers. They are getting up there in years. Mine are 79 years old but new bolts fit like a glove.
David Milisock
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 6:48pm
If the spring is weak couldn't ya simply stretch it to give it more tension?  Ethan you being a fisherman you probably have a fish scale on your boat.  You could figure out how to measure the stretch tension w/ it.  Compare tensions of all your carbine springs?
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

If the spring is weak couldn't ya simply stretch it to give it more tension?  Ethan you being a fisherman you probably have a fish scale on your boat.  You could figure out how to measure the stretch tension w/ it.  Compare tensions of all your carbine springs?

I'm an advocate of that in critical cases of collector grade rifles so the originalspring is there. If the problem is that the spring is a bit short or weak.

However the springs are so inexpensive it makes no sense for a rifle that gets shot regularly, a single recoil spring is $15 and the entire kit with an extra power recoil spring is just $18.
David Milisock
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 7:34pm
Many of these imports were likely in places where parts and support could have been scarce. Maybe they used what they had and rocks are generally plentiful everywhere.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Many of these imports were likely in places where parts and support could have been scarce. Maybe they used what they had and rocks are generally plentiful everywhere.

I was thinking something very similar that maybe it was a case of no recoil springs to be found for whatever reason (which there could be many). I wonder how long a worn out spring could keep running by adding a rock to make up the length difference as it weakens further and further? Three rocks in and she's still running haha!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>