Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Rockola Flip Sight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2022 at 4:57pm
Yep, I got them saved, along with several others. I have one carbine with real GE-Q I can study and get "hands on" with. 
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2022 at 5:21pm
I’ve maintained photo folders on my computer and phone for over a decade. Anytime I come across a good example of something on a forum, ebay, gunbroker, etc it gets saved. That practice has helped me tremendously over the years.

In recent times all these RTI carbines coming in from Ethiopia have provided some good content as far as original rear sights and interesting parts.
dnewsom89 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote dnewsom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2022 at 12:13am
For the sake of the information in this thread, I am going to post the pictures I included in the auction. Hopefully this will help in the future as a reference to a fake. I did some more reading on other posts in various locations, as I should have done in the first place, and have found that this sight is consistent with those made by the infamous "George" of Riverbank Armory. They are all made the same way in regards to machining and staking of the pivot pin, and only vary in markings. This isn't the first time his crap has fooled me. I did not buy this sight from him and, while I don't recall where I got it, I was under the impression it was real. Never the less:

Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2022 at 1:58am
I think many of us have been fooled at one point or another. We all learn, sometimes from other's mistakes and often from our own. I too, have a small collection of fake flip sights that I bought from an early and prominent member of the Carbine Club who first lived in Michigan and later moved to Florida. His initials were F.P. He told a believable story about carbines that were stuck in Puerto Rico that couldn't be brought into the mainland, but small parts like flip sights and early barrel bands could be mailed in. I fell for the story early in my collecting career and bought a few flip sights and barrel bands.

I don't think George of Riverbank Armory actually makes his flip sights, I think they probably come from China or India. Perhaps the various markings are stamped here state side, but likely not.

All the real flip sights don't look alike, there were different suppliers in WWII. Fortunately, most of the repro flip sights fall into a few different varieties that often only differ by the stampings on the base and aperture / leaf.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2022 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by dnewsom89 dnewsom89 wrote:

For the sake of the information in this thread, I am going to post the pictures I included in the auction. Hopefully this will help in the future as a reference to a fake. I did some more reading on other posts in various locations, as I should have done in the first place, and have found that this sight is consistent with those made by the infamous "George" of Riverbank Armory. They are all made the same way in regards to machining and staking of the pivot pin, and only vary in markings. This isn't the first time his crap has fooled me. I did not buy this sight from him and, while I don't recall where I got it, I was under the impression it was real. Never the less:

And once again, as we've seen before with other M1 Carbine parts on eBay that were said to be fakes, buyers either think said parts are not fake, they think they're "close enough", or they just don't care.

Either way, kudos to dnewsom89, you did your due diligence in the description.  
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2022 at 5:47pm
But at least it went for the right amount of money that a reproduction sight should, between $145 to $165. If that were a real Rockola sight, the bidding would have been at $400 Plus
Rezin777 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rezin777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 8:23am
Rezin777 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rezin777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:11am
Same seller has another.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:24am
Rezin, I also saw them and Have asked Tenocee about them. He stated he cannot tell by the pictures required. Personally, they dont look like the fakes I have seen but the GE-Q does not look like the GE-Q example I have. Anyone else have any idea? 
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:41am
Since the one on your carbine rebel has been declared real and if those on ebay don't match the one on your example with the exact same letter stamping, then I would lean toward fake but I am no expert on these by any means, just my guess. You have a great tool at your disposal having a known real one already in your possession
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 10:46am
I will take some clearer pictures of my sight when I get home. I got a new handy magnifying glass that makes stuff super clear. I will post the pictures around lunch! 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Jond41403 Jond41403 wrote:

Since the one on your carbine rebel has been declared real and if those on ebay don't match the one on your example with the exact same letter stamping, then I would lean toward fake but I am no expert on these by any means, just my guess. You have a great tool at your disposal having a known real one already in your possession

Not true in all cases though. For example I know of two distinct styles of legit GE-Q lettering. There's also oddball stuff, I remember a member having an IN-B that didn't fit the norm but it sure looked original and there's no way I would have changed it. Sometimes markings are stronger, weaker, partial, etc. It's one indicator not a blanket judgement, IMO. Happy hunting.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 11:33am
That's very true, that's why it's always a great idea to keep a picture montage if you're going to be buying these things.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 12:10pm
To me that sight looks like a real base combined with a fake aperture. That dark finish is throwing me off.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2022 at 1:59pm
Rezin777 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rezin777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

He stated he cannot tell by the pictures required.

I bought the sight. Here is a link to some more pictures. (Pics too large to upload here.)

Edited by W5USMC - Aug 27 2022 at 3:35pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2022 at 3:51pm
I don't see any problems. But it's the other one that I couldn't see well. My phone screen is shattered and the eyesight is poor now. 
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2022 at 4:53pm
That sight is interesting. Compared to the two GE-Q sights I have, your base sure looks like it’s been media blasted and reparked. Both of mine have unmarked apertures. I can’t say I’ve seen a BR marked aperture on a GE-Q base. 
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2022 at 5:07pm
the base is USGI, The Aperture is repro
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2022 at 8:20pm
agree with CK, base looks refinished. And the pin was out based on the left side pin hole + staking deformed.
agree with RC45, peep looks repro. Here's a side by side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>