Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Win. stock question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win. stock question.
    Posted: Jul 31 2022 at 5:51pm
HI. I have a 5786xxx Winne with a stock that I have not seen before. It is heavy and tighter grain. It's marked W in well and is flat bottom. I have not seen a stock with grain like this before. Can anyone tell me why the grain is like this and are there many out there like this.
   Thanks for your help.

u

Edited by New2brass - Jul 31 2022 at 7:29pm
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2022 at 5:59pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2022 at 7:06pm
Not trying to be cute here, but the pattern in the piece of wood they used will dictate the looks. There is no special way they could prepare a blank of wood to look like that on purpose….it just turned out that way and it could have been a limb for all we know.

My 2-cents and that might be all it’s worth.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2022 at 7:59pm
How it looks depends on how the blank was cut and how straight the original log was. Personally I like quarter sawn logs for the nicest grain.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2022 at 10:13pm
I've got an oval high-wood Inland stock that has the same thing going on that yours does just aft the cartouche with what looks like two different textures of wood. Mine looks very similar in that the rearmost section of the stock behind the cartouche is a smoother grain fingering out forward. Mine has never been repaired or sanded so like floydthecat and smokepole said, it's just the luck of the draw- or maybe, the saw!

John

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2022 at 8:42am
If you go to the lumber yard and look through the boards you'll see a lot of flatsawn which results in grain getting exposed like you see on that stock.  Quarter sawn reduces that. 
Here's a illustration from Les Paul guitar forum showing how the cuts effect the grai figure on the surface.

and this one from Highland Woodworking which better illustrates the realities of sawing a log.

Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2022 at 8:50am
Thanks everyone for the great information. I have not seen that texture on any other carbine stock and I was sure you guys would know.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2022 at 3:00pm
Depending on the size of the Walnut log that your blank was cut from, the smoother and darker cut is from the heartwood of the tree, and the transition to sapwood is lighter in color and will not finish as smooth, which is what you are seeing in your photos.
The sapwood can range from almost none on slower dense growth, to a few inches in faster growing trees say in an open field.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2022 at 6:37pm
Thanks to everyone. I know more now than before.
 Post Reply Post Reply