Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White Bag Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Bag Winchester
    Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:03am
Recently purchased a “1953 White Bag” Winchester complete with 2003 CMP Shipping box…1953 stenciled white bag and…the best part….Winchester with all Winchester parts. Stock has some dents from rack storage. Based on my 50 plus years of collecting these…I think it is new and unfired …of course I’ve been wrong MANY MANY times before. Not Refinished.Bore measures “00”. Inside no marks on hammer or frame. 
Need additional information from you guys. Thanks!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:17am
Sounds like a nice one. We will need pictures

I'd say it's at least been fired for sight in and function test at the factory.
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:19am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Sounds like a nice one. We will need pictures

I'd say it's at least been fired for sight in and function test at the factory.

This
fourspeed40 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:20am
Will send pictures. One thing: the stock is the worst craftsmanship on a Winchester that I have ever seen….
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:24am
need assistance…I’m a computer dinosaur….How do I attach pictures?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:28am

if you still have issues let us know and you can email them and we will upload
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 10:49am
I uploaded some pictures but get “error” after hitting “Okay”

Edited by W5USMC - Jun 16 2022 at 11:11am
John Leonard
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 11:29am
Thanks for your assistance!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 11:52am
Does the error state what the problem is?

Common error is oversized picture.
Another error is putting a picture in the first space "error inserting location"
If this is the case hit space, or enter, or type a word first before inserting the picture

Nice looking carbine, are the Winchester parts correct for the serial number range?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 1:05pm
The stock looks like some grade school kid whittled it with a dull pocket knife. I’ve had perhaps 50-60 Winchesters over the last 60 years and NEVER have had a stock as poorly shaped as this one. It does have a “W” in the stock well….the Handguard (4 rivet)…is “W” marked as are all of the normal markings…didn’t realize that a 4 rivet handguard went with high wood oval stock. On the inside rear of the receiver…it looks like a “new-born”. I don’t know what the last owner (s?) did with it from 2003 until today. Still has white residue preservative powder in crevices.  The rear sight is NOT staked.At least no one shot it.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2022 at 5:10pm
What's the approx serial range, if you don't mind sharing? Are any of the stakes, proofs, and hardness test punches "in the white"? Blued bolt?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2022 at 12:11am
I apologize for taking so long to respond. S/N 5654XXX.
It has the regular “W” and Winchester proof marks on barrel. Receiver and Round bolt (Parkerized)both have the distinctive punch marks. Later adjustable rear sight with NO stake marks in dovetail.The serial number is marked on the White bag. It came to me with an original tan sling, Winchester oiler and a “BW” magazine.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2022 at 7:48am
I assume the sling and oiler were already installed when you got them are were they in the own smaller white bag along with a magazine?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourspeed40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2022 at 8:56am
Installed.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2022 at 10:42am
Is that a type 4 flip safety and if so how marked?
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image