Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Midway mags

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midway mags
    Posted: Jun 02 2022 at 5:14pm
Just for the heck of it, I ordered a half dozen Standard Products grade 3 mags. I figured they should at least be functional; at least I hoped so. They arrived today and boy! was I surprised. Only one was what I figured a grade 3 would look like. It was well used and had some rust pitting and around 50% blued finish. The other 5 were decent looking mags with around 95% blued finish with minor wear. One had a small ding that doesn't effect function and another had a bas plate that was slightly bent. I would have to rate them at 8-9 out of 10! Over all, I'm very pleased with what I received. Price-wise, they cost me about the same as the few that I see these days at the gun shows, but in general were in better condition.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2022 at 5:35pm
I also bought a grade 3 but only one, I was just looking for a S'G' marked mag that I did not have. Ended up with a J.L. Clark (C with the upside down T) S'G'. The overall condition was far better than I expected. No regrets on this one.

What SP markings did you end up with Smokpole?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2022 at 9:24pm
SL and S-JLC
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2022 at 4:18pm
When they dropped the price I rolled dice on a few grade 2 SG and U.

What I got was OK.  Some could be considered grade 2.5 or better than average 3.   One had  the base plate half out, half in and upside down.  Another was slightly compressed near the top causing the follower to hang up.  The rest were physically fine.  Some light scratches and small finish wear on all.

All needed a cleaning of dried cosmoline or similar.  Kerosene got some, mineral spirits got almost all of the rest.  One had a residue that required acetone and pressure with a cloth to lift.
 Post Reply Post Reply