The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ammo pouch on buttstock. Anyone actually do this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skunk62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ammo pouch on buttstock. Anyone actually do this?
    Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 1:30am
Hey, been away a long time. I have been wondering if many of you actually attach one of those two magazine ammo pouches to your carbine buttstocks? Like they used to do in W.W.II but not so much in Korea because they were using 30 shot mags a lot more. I finally tried that and didn't like it. It imbalances the weapon too much. Was probably handy in real war for the soldiers, but to me it has no advantage at all for modern civilian use. 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 6:49am
I keep a carbine in the laundry room gun rack and it has a pouch on it, it's what I throw in the truck if I'm going to town or to check the cows, etc. I used to put ae pouch on all of my carbines, but like you find it really makes the rifle feel imbalanced.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 8:27am
Got one on my "SHTF" carbine with 2 full mags. I've shot it at the range a bunch of times with the pouch on and it starts to feel more normal. Definitely a nice way to carry extra mags.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 8:35am
I don't but can see its utility. One day might experiment with how it helps or doesn't with cheek placement.

For a study of its historical use during the Normandy Campaign, see #2.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Got one on my "SHTF" carbine with 2 full mags. I've shot it at the range a bunch of times with the pouch on and it starts to feel more normal. Definitely a nice way to carry extra mags.

Me to! 

I let my wife shoot the ones with out the magazine pouch, as it does make it feel like twice as heavy! Amazing how much heavier it makes it feel. But I have gotten used to it. 
pchanu View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 5:34am
I don't... 'Cause I'm leftie... 
skunk62 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skunk62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 7:52am
Ok I got some opinions. I still don't like it different strokes I guess.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 8:35am
First things first, I have shooters only!!

I like my M1A1 alot, handles and shoots like a working rifle should, I keep 15 round mags for it because the 30's make it sloppy to handle. I have 30's in case but not my choice.  

My standard stocked Carbine and I never got along, I'm part ape with arms so long my knuckles drag. I restocked it with a Choate and an M4 collapsible butt. It no longer punches me in the nose and handles well.

When I carried extra mags for a living it was on my belt ot vest, now I rarely have need but whennI do it's in a vest.

Can't stand things that interfere with the rifle.
David Milisock
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 12:56pm
I keep a mag pouch on one carbine just to have the look, but I rarely shoot that carbine. When I’m hunting and have a carbine on me I just stick a mag pouch on my belt 
Freedom View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 6:36pm
Tried it, didn't like it. One magazine is more than I will ever need, I hope.
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 8:54am
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 8:56am
I saw this picture on another forum. Two things of interest; the type 2 rear sight and the magazine pouch. The pouch is backwards from what I’ve typically seen, perhaps a leftie?  

Jay
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 6:05pm
Most likely a left handed shooter

john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 8:47pm
[QUOTE=1st M1 88] Most likely a left handed shooter

Yep, that's how mine look.

Sure would like to have one of those "all you can grab in 5 minute" sprees like they do at grocery stores and such into that pile.
I'm assuming those are prisoners but at least two of them have guns in their hands! After hostilities ended perhaps?

John
thirtyround View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtyround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 9:40pm
I like the look and feel of the extra weight of the stock pouch setup and use it myself. Interesting - The pouch wasn't designed originally for stock use, just another belt pouch. Some enterprising and imaginative individual started doing it and it became a "virus". Mag Pouch on the stock is a classic military setup, to the wartime user it made sense to have the extra ammo "right there", I would imagine boosting confidence to some degree. Both Army and Marines practiced it but was a choice of the user, not ordered. - *Notice the trophy pistol in the carbine man's back pocket. MP44 on the deck in front of his left foot - Photo is Very reminiscent of same activities in closing days of Iraq invasion war campaign in 2003.   
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 11:17am
Could it be possible he had it backwards for cheek weld purposes being a right hand shooter? Left hand shooter makes way more sense but I have never had my pouch on the buttstock of mine so I don't know the feel of one strapped to my stock that way while shooting. In my mind's eye it seems it would be an awkward cheek wielding, but maybe good for some?
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 11:28am
That’s unlikely, the way the mags sit it would cause an odd cheek weld and isn’t very comfortable
 Post Reply Post Reply