Birch IBM stock, yea or nay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2022 at 7:41pm
Jamestown used birch and cherry as well. The straight grain looks more like cherry to me.

Keep in mind that many wood species have sap wood and heart wood that have noticeable color differences.

Somewhere on these forums is a picture of a stock that one half it sap and the other heart
PingCMP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingCMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2022 at 6:57pm
I'm almost ready to submit a data sheet for my 3.855xxx IBM (Bavarian/Austrian) and have just one thing I want to run by you all. The stock (which is marked with the last 4 digits of the S/N) is very light colored when compared to all my other carbines and I'm wondering if it could be birch? It's marked JLB in the slingwell, and from what information I have, if birch it should be marked SCB (Sprague & Carleton, Kane, New Hampshire)
However, the stock compares closely in color to member Da1Chief's IBM, "Blondie", which is an SCB & might be birch, so I'm curious enough to because if it is, I want to include that info on the data sheet.

Here's a couple pix, one with it alongside a walnut stock that apparently hasn't been touched by RLO or anything else for several decades for color comparison. I haven't put anything on the IBM stock, which I bought about 13 or so years ago, I believe it came from the CMP.
Thanks in advice for any input you can give.

Charlie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12