Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRIVIA QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Pinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2023 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Louis Losi Louis Losi wrote:

Clue to solving the trivia question. Not a lower assigned number.

IHC was given more number than they delivered. 

With the M1 carbine there were scrapped receivers which required the manufacturer to reuse numbers which was time consuming. Ordnance started giving out more numbers than required for the contact to allow for scrapped numbers. 

5211254 was the highest reported IHC number by a IHC collector group. dated information because a Duff article has a picture of one about 5k higher. Then there were the receivers supplied to them. 

To add to IHC production troubles the factory was sold by the IHC parent company before they finished their contract. They had I believe 2 months to try to complete some 100000 against their contract which was not possible. They had to buy out their contact for coming up short. 

If I am understanding Louis correctly it is a number beyond their assigned range. Or not an assigned number. 

I question if the serial in question did not go to ordnance as they plenty of numbers left. Would it be a presentation or some other reason to have a special serial number?

Did IHC send receivers to anyone else?

Interesting stuff, but I will stick with the quirky carbines. 

Edited by Dan Pinto - May 20 2023 at 12:13am
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 2:04pm
I was also thinking something along the lines of maybe a presentation piece of some sort but I wouldn't have any idea what the number would be. This is a head scratcher for sure! Hopefully someone can get it
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 2:31pm

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 2:34pm
Above is the best I can find via IHC collectors PDF
Ch-P777

** Couldn't Edit**
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 3:35pm
My last guess...... 5,217,065
Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Jond41403 Jond41403 wrote:

I was also thinking something along the lines of maybe a presentation piece of some sort but I wouldn't have any idea what the number would be. This is a head scratcher for sure! Hopefully someone can get it
No, not a presentation M1 rifle. What I will state, the answer will be a head scratcher.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Ch-P777

Above is the best I can find via IHC collectors PDF
Ch-P777

** Couldn't Edit**

My last guess...... 5,217,065
Incorrect answer. The final clue to solving the IHC trivia question is, the answer is the next serial number after all blocks of assigned serial numbers.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2023 at 9:27pm
IHC Serial Number 6,034,229 assigned to replace duplicate number 4,460,786
Source: American Rifleman 1960, Vol 108, Issue 7, Page 66

Charlie-P777
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 6:56am

IHC Serial Number 6,034,229 assigned to replace duplicate number 4,460,786
Source: American Rifleman 1960, Vol 108, Issue 7, Page 66
Charlie-P777
You are 100% correct. Unrelated information will be found in the text.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2023 at 5:16pm
THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN TRIVIA
From the introduction of the Model 1921 Thompson and ending with the WWII M1A1 Thompson, how many different types of Thompson magazines were produced? 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Louis Losi Louis Losi wrote:

THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN TRIVIA
From the introduction of the Model 1921 Thompson and ending with the WWII M1A1 Thompson, how many different types of Thompson magazines were produced?
The answer to this trivia question is 6. I'll supply 4 of the answers. 1. 50 cartridges cal. .45 ACP drum magazine. 2. 100 cartridges cal. .45 ACP drum magazine. 3. 20 cartridges cal. .45 ACP box, stick, magazine. 4. 30 cartridges cal. .45 ACP box, stick, magazine. What are the 2 remaining box, stick, magazines? 
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 9:00am
The two remaining types of stick/box magazines other than the 4 you have listed are:
1) 20 round blank magazines
2) 18 round magazines for shot cartridges
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

The two remaining types of stick/box magazines other than the 4 you have listed are:
1) 20 round blank magazines
2) 18 round magazines for shot cartridges
You have correctly identified one of the two remaining types of Thompson box, stick, magazines trivia. You have correctly identified the Thompson shot cartridge magazine. The overall lenght of the Thompson shot cartridge is longer than the standard 230 grain ACP cartridge but has the same cartridge case length and functions in all Thompsons except the Models M1 and M1A1 Thompsons. The shot cartridge magazine is identical to the 20 cartridge Thompson box, stick, magazine except for the front to back lenght to accommodate the longer shot cartridge. It is designed to hold 20 shot cartridges with a paper jacket containing 129 #8 shot. Testing revealed the top two shot cartridge paper jackets were "not tough enough to withstand the loading and firing forces of the spring". Twenty shot cartridge magazines were subsequently marked "FOR 18 SHOT CARTRIDGES". Thompson used the same magazine for the Thompson Model 1923 submachine gun chambered for the .45 Remington Thompson Military cartridge. This cartridge had the same overall lenght of the Thompson shot cartridge but a longer cartridge casing. This cartridge would not function in standard .45 ACP chambered Thompsons but the magazine could be loaded with .45 ACP cartridges for use in .45 ACP chambered Thompson except for the M1 and M1A1 Thompsons. Jamming was possible due to the extra distance required to chamber a cartridge.
Your second response "blank magazine" is incorrect. There are no original Thompson manufactured magazines that fired blank cartridges. "Blank magazine" is a collectors term used to identify Thompson magazines without any markings to indicate the manufacturer.
A clue to identifying the last Thompson box, stick, magazine trivia is the entire production run went to Britain and none were of a capacity previous mentioned. 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 4:12pm
Louis....are you referring to the BSA 1926 and 1929 Thompson's?

The M1926 was .45 and, from what I've read, only accepted a 20 round magazine.  The 1929 model was available in multiple calibers and only a few were ever made (9mm Para and 9mm Bergmann, .45, and 7.63 (.30 Mauser).  Can't locate capacities for the multiple caliber 1929s.

Or are you referring to British-made magazines for US .45 cal Thompson's?
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

Louis....are you referring to the BSA 1926 and 1929 Thompson's?
Or are you referring to British-made magazines for US .45 cal Thompson's?
BSA produced Thompsons, in my opinion, aren't true Thompsons. The trivia question is only related to U.S. manufactured Thompsons and magazines. 
Another clue to solving the final Thompson box magazine trivia is the 50,000 U.S. manufactured box magazines were purchased by the British for U.S. produced Thompson submachine guns previously purchased by the British.   
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 7:42pm
Knowing the Brits, it was probably something like a 75 round drum. *LOL*
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Knowing the Brits, it was probably something like a 75 round drum. *LOL*
Your humor allows me to give a final clue. The British also purchased 50 cartridge drum magazines from the U.S. The box magazine, trivia answer, contains less than the 50 cartridge drum magazine but more than the 20 cartridge box magazine. I believe that leaves two choices, the obvious choice being incorrect.  
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 8:33pm
40?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

40?
Incorrect answer.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 9:46pm
All I have found is that the Brits had 20 round magazines, which has already been accounted for.  30 round box/stick mags and 50 round drum mags have already been accounted for.  It is not 40…..so I will say they got some 25 round stick mags made special for them.
Chad
USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>