Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRIVIA QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Louis Losi Louis Losi wrote:

Originally posted by Quietus Quietus wrote:

BAR.  
The Model 1917 Browning Automatic Rifle(BAR) 

But isn't the BAR an M1918?? 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 1:33pm
I recall seeing a discussion of that - prob on Forgotten Weapons or maybe David Albert here?
IIRC the M designation system came later, and was the not the originally adopted designation.   

Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Originally posted by Louis Losi Louis Losi wrote:

BAR.  
The Model 1917 Browning Automatic Rifle(BAR) 

But isn't the BAR an M1918?? 
I apologize for my error, it is the Model of1918 BAR.   
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

I recall seeing a discussion of that - prob on Forgotten Weapons or maybe David Albert here?
IIRC the M designation system came later, and was the not the originally adopted designation.  
This can be confusing but if you can remember that beginning on July 1, 1925 the U.S. Ordnance Department began using the M designation with a number, not a year, for newly adopted items, all beginning with M1. What is confusing is there are pre-1925 items with a year designation that were not adopted by the U.S. Ordnance Department that are thought to be adopted. One example is the Model 1921 Thompson submachine gun. It is a commercial, not military, designation. Post 1925 examples are the Model 1928 Thompson submachine gun and Model 1942 Johnson rifle which would have had an M designation with a number, not a year, had they been adopted by the U. S. Ordnance Department. These are commercial designations. Yes, both the Thompson and the Johnson were used in WWII but they were procured, or adopted, by individual branches of the military. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 3:42pm
M3 might have been a good guess, but it’s not a “rifle” either.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

The M3 submachine gun would lose to the M1 submachine gun and both, still, would lose to the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 4:31pm
Figured I was wrong, but fekt like I should contribute anyways…😁. 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 4:49pm

Figured I was wrong, but fekt like I should contribute anyways…😁. 
You did the correct thing, that's the only way information gets out to others.
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 5:43pm
So what do I win?   Maybe an ultra rare SETH-OLA?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 6:02pm

So what do I win?

You win free membership to the Carbine Collector's Club Forum. Thumbs UpBeer
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 6:23pm

In WWII, the T29 was a project to produce the .45 M3 submachine gun with a more powerful cartridge, the .30 carbine cartridge. The project ended with the more advanced development of what would eventually be adopted as the M2 carbine. 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 6:44pm
M2 carbine or the M2 (Hyde) submachine gun?

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2022 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

M2 carbine or the M2 (Hyde) submachine gun?
The M2 carbine. The .45 M3 submachine gun had already replaced the short lived M2 submachine gun.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 10:23am
TRIVIA QUESTION
Although not adopted, the M1 carbine was responsible for the development of what weapon?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 5:45pm
Johnson 5.7mm "spitfire" Carbine
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 6:02pm
I should have indicated my trivia question is related to WWII. The Johnson Spitfire Carbine was an 1960s conversion of the M1 carbine for commercial sales.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 6:17pm
60's yes but reportedly Mel Johnson demonstrated his "spitfire" carbine at Aberdeen in hopes that the Ordnance Dept would be interested.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 6:23pm
I will rephrase my trivia question.
Although not adopted, the M1 carbine was responsible for the WWII Ordnance Department development of what weapon?
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 8:26pm
Could it be a semi-automatic in .50 BMG?   There was a thread and a Forgotten Weapons video over on the CMP Carbine Forum a couple days back.  Didn't watch it.  Thrust of the OP was that it shared some features with the M1 Carbine, and that David Williams had something to do with the design, and that our brothers in the frozen North had tested it as an anti-tank rifle.  Other commenters disagreed on the shared features.  

This is a long shot, indeed.  
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2022 at 8:42pm

Could it be a semi-automatic in .50 BMG?   There was a thread and a Forgotten Weapons video over on the CMP Carbine Forum a couple days back.  Didn't watch it.  Thrust of the OP was that it shared some features with the M1 Carbine, and that David Williams had something to do with the design, and that our brothers in the frozen North had tested it as an anti-tank rifle.  Other commenters disagreed on the shared features.
This is a long shot, indeed.  

No, unrelated to the .50 BMG cartridge or David Williams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>