Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRIVIA QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 9:33pm
But no one did in fact 'Agree or Disagree' 
Seems your getting a bit soft Louis Wink

But our thanks to your Trivia questions.

Cheers,
CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Well, if I'm incorrect then so was the Basic field manual published by the war department in 1942.

Smokpole, don't think anyone is doubting what is written in your 1942 manual. As time goes on procedures get evaluated and revised. 
For instance, FM 23-7 dated May 1942 says to clean the carbine immediately after firing with "warm soapy water", try and find that written in a later dated manual.

@Charlie, I agree with the way I was taught. Big smile
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 10:46pm
I hear you Wayne and fully understand, just poking with Louis.
I know Jim's Dad was a Glider. I looked up the June 15, 42 copy of FM23-30 it say's what he pretty much posted, but like you've pointed out they changed out quick. That one was revised a few months later.

Section II Throwing Techniques Sec (C) Page 12 is bottom link

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2023 at 9:12pm
Just to add a little info: hand written at the top of the cover....
Hq. Co. 2nd Bn. 193

At that time he would have been in the 82 Inf. (AB) 
He enter the service before the 82nd changed from Infantry to Airbourne.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 3:31pm
U.S. MILITARY HAND GRENADE TRIVIA
Why does this U.S. hand grenade have a yellow band at the top of the grenade?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 4:41pm
Getting too easy on us Louis, three in a row that I didn't have to go look up, going to sit this one out.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 5:14pm
HE

Thanks Wayne for giving us a chance.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 5:16pm
The yellow band indicates high explosive.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 6:45pm
Louis's post about the yellow stripe on HE ordnance reminded me of a funny story. I have a friend who was stationed on Okinawa in the early 1980s, and he enjoyed looking for war relics with a metal detector (as do I.)   One day he was on a grassy hill very close to his house.

He lived in a US Military family housing area that, in the 1960s, had been built upon the epic USMC "Sugar Loaf Hill" defensive complex battle area. This area had been cleared and groomed "above ground," but not below ground. In fact, my friend found a US frag grenade when he dug a garden in his back yard there.

Anyhow, one day in 1981, his metal detector got a strong hit on this grassy hill and he dug up a partially-intact US steel ammo can, and there was a US frag grenade inside. Finding US and Japanese hand grenades on Okinawa was not uncommon, but this particular grenade was in really good shape. The pull-ring and "spoon" (safety lever) were rusty, but the cast iron body was in great shape and portions of the yellow stripe remained. My friend had never found a grenade in such nice condition.

But when he picked it up to examine it closely, the cotter pin on the pull-ring fell apart and the "spoon" fell to the ground! He instinctively threw the grenade as hard as he could and went prone awaiting a possible explosion.   After several minutes of silence, he got up and walked over to it.

It was then that he realized that the striker spring was also rusty and never swung around to strike the primer and begin the 5-second sequence to detonation. He unscrewed the fuze assembly and poured out the yellow TNT. After he drilled out the fuze train, rendering it completely inert, he gave it to me. I replaced the cotter pin with one from a hardware store. Unfortunately, after more than 40 years of sitting on a shelf, only a few small fragments of yellow paint remain. The paint has mostly flaked off.

I'm glad I wasn't with him that day, as I probably would've wet my pants. Although I too did some foolish things with ordnance I found, when enthusiasm overcame common sense. Thankfully, both my friend and I retired from the service without any injuries. And since then, I've come to the realization that I'm NOT immortal. Better late than never!

Be careful out there!

Regards, mb
Marty Black
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Getting too easy on us Louis, three in a row that I didn't have to go look up, going to sit this one out.

Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

HE
Thanks Wayne for giving us a chance.

Originally posted by Marty Black Marty Black wrote:

The yellow band indicates high explosive.

Regards, mb
The three of you are correct, the yellow band indicates a high explosive filler. It should be noted that prior to 1943 the entire grenade body was yellow, no olive drab, the yellow body being a target for the enemy to aim at, thus the yellow band.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2023 at 9:21pm
Fragmentation grenade....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2023 at 1:53pm
U.S. MILITARY HAND GRENADE TRIVIA
If you agree or disagree with the following statement, explain why.
If it weren't for the United States Navy, this hand grenade wouldn't exist.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2023 at 3:42pm
Ahh yes! John Paul Jones: "Surrender?! Hell no! I have not yet begun to fight!"

"Able Seaman Losi, go below decks and bring up a case of hand grenades!"

True story....mb
Marty Black
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2023 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Marty Black Marty Black wrote:

Ahh yes! John Paul Jones: "Surrender?! Hell no! I have not yet begun to fight!"

"Able Seaman Losi, go below decks and bring up a case of hand grenades!"

True story....mb
You are correct, Marty, it was the United States Navy that adopted both the MKI(MarkI) and MKII(MarkII) hand grenades. Any military item the U.S. Navy adopts first will have U.S. Naval nomenclature beginning with MK or Mark. Why would the U.S. Navy need hand grenades? Well, you have to remember the United States Marine Corps is part of the U.S. Navy and it was the USMC the hand grenades would be the recipient of. In 1945 the nomenclature was changed to MK2. The U.S Navy adopted the MKI hand grenade in 1917 but it was problematic and by 1920 the MKII hand grenade was being used. Other weapons to be first adopted by the U.S. Navy is the MKI Model 1903 Springfield rifle that used the Pedersen Device and the 7.62 NATO conversions of the M1 rifle, the MK2 Mod0 and the MK2 Mod1, the MK1 being the 1903 Springfield rifle used with the Pedersen Devive.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2023 at 1:00pm
U.S. MILITARY M16 RIFLE TRIVIA
Why is there a protuberance beneath M16 magazine locking slot?

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2023 at 1:53pm
A stop to prevent jumping the catch?

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2023 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

A stop to prevent jumping the catch?
Incorrect answer.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2023 at 9:13pm
Must have something to do with the bolt release....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2023 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Must have something to do with the bolt release....
Incorrect answer.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2023 at 6:38am
To index the magazine to the mag-well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>