The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: Feb 05 2022 at 6:49pm
This is my first post. Greetings from Arkansas!  

I have 43 Underwood that I purchased several years ago. My question is what exactly does the stamp under the receiver on the left mean?  The stamp on the right I believe means it is an original Saginaw stock. I guess the left is Springfield post war rebuild??

Thanks in advance,
Jay

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2022 at 6:54pm
Stamp on the left is a Springfield Armory rebuild stamp.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2022 at 6:59pm
welcome aboard!

That stamp is indeed a Springfield rebuild marking. Applied in the early postwar years, I believe 46-47.
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2022 at 7:26pm
Thank you!

That was what I believed to be true. I was unaware of dates.  I guess the adjustable rear sight and bayonet front band would have been added at that time as well?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2022 at 8:28am
Was that one of the CMP lottery carbines?

Yes, updates were done at rebuild
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2022 at 2:45pm
Ok, great flow chart and info. I need to break it down and study the individual parts closer to understand the extent of the rebuild. The barrel receiver assembly is definitely underwood. The stock is definitely Saginaw. Thanks for the info!!!

Jay
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2022 at 4:01pm
Datasheet may help you to go through to find what to look for and record you parts.

I am particularly interested in hearing what hammer is in your carbine as well as any of the SA marked parts
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 9:49am
I'm in the process of filling out a data sheet.  So far the only SA marked item is the barrel band and the SA stamp on the Stock.  The hammer is Saginaw.

This is what I know so far:
Barrel/Receiver:  Underwood (Stamped 43)
Stock:  Saginaw  RSG
Handguard:  IBM  JLB
Trigger Housing:  M1 Inland
Slide:  Rock-Ola
Bolt:  A. I.  (I have not attempted to take apart yet)
Hammer:  Saginaw  S.G.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 7:34pm
How is the Inland logo oriented on the trigger housing? Upright, on its side or upside down?
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2022 at 10:19pm
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2022 at 3:45pm
Early trigger housing....
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2022 at 8:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image