The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If your were looking to buy where to go?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhoges17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If your were looking to buy where to go?
    Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 3:06pm
I'm hooked I purchased an IBM from Royal Tiger. Its got a SA barrel and stock. The barrel was unfired from 1951. Thinking about getting another. This one I would want it to be cleaner with more finish left. What would you do? Where is a good place to look? Worried so many of these are parts guns built at home.
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 5:49pm
Depending on how far you're from gun shop, get your cash together and drive around. 

I was out with a friend and we happened upon a Quality Hardware in great shape at what was a good price at that time. 
David Milisock
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 6:00pm
 Most of them are parts guns. The one you purchased from Royal Tiger is a parts gun.  A rebuild is a rebuild , or parts gun , which ever you want to call it.  Correctors swap parts all the time.  They buy  rebuilds for parts they want and swap them out. If you are looking for a factory  original carbine it can be difficult as a beginner.  There are  dishonest basement builders out there, and quite a few of them. You have to know your stuff.  Over time you learn to identify the good from the bad .  Get the books , look at carbines , ask questions.  Nothing wrong with a rebuild , I probably bought 20 or more of them before I purchased my first original.  The books will help you, *Riesch and War Baby, but only experience will sharpen your eye.  Welcome to the sickness 😷 
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 6:07pm
 Forgot this, you can start by looking here to purchase from other members or the CMP forum.  

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by chipins chipins wrote:

Forgot this, you can start by looking here to purchase from other members or the CMP forum.  

Those do work.  Might want to start by posting a WTB.  That will give you offers to more leisurely consider rather than worrying someone might buy it before you do.  Or worst have buyers remorse.  Get plenty of pictures and ask all the questions you want.  If you have any doubts about particular features/parts consider asking the folks on here about it.  Also I recommend a 3 day (or more) non-firing inspection period for returns.  If you want to start adding several more you might want to get a C&R if you don't have one.    
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2022 at 11:35pm
I just so happen to know a guy looking to sell an Underwood. Haha... shameless plug! I kid, I kid.

Good luck in your search! I know how difficult it can be trying to find an honest carbine. As others have already mentioned, I would absolutely utilize the "WTB" section/sub forum. Every once in a while your post will be spotted by an avid collector who isn't earnestly looking to sell, but he'll take pity on your plight and offer to part with one.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2022 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Pro Libertate Pro Libertate wrote:

Every once in a while your post will be spotted by an avid collector who isn't earnestly looking to sell, but he'll take pity on your plight and offer to part with one.

Pretty sure that's how I got my S'G'.
M274A4 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M274A4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 4:47am
well, we have had very good luck when going to the local gun shows.   And yes, most can be parts guns, but have seen 90% same manufacture,  whether original or ‘corrected’, unknown.   But, they are all good shooters, excellent condition, and priced right for the times.  
Getting a bit harder to find these days, but are still out there.  And, CMP is a very good place to start too.  Lot of members on there, selling carbines, so if you’re looking for a specific one, good to look there. 

Good luck!
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2022 at 6:24pm
I see them all the time at the shows I attend. Prices range from very reasonable to outrageous and conditions from well worn to nearly mint. You gotta be picky and ready to negotiate.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2022 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

I see them all the time at the shows I attend. Prices range from very reasonable to outrageous and conditions from well worn to nearly mint. You gotta be picky and ready to negotiate.

Don't forget be ready to buy. I've was at shop where a buyer said he wanted to think about it, the next guy in looked at it, took it apart, put it back together and bought it. The next day the first guy returned to an empty space on the shelf.
David Milisock
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2022 at 10:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply