The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to Reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

update:

Reloading has went great. I thought it would be cheaper, but all it has done has increased the amount i shoot LOL Have learned alot from you guys, thanks again. Have loaded up around 1500, shot about half of them. Have learned some things about my carbines (i.e. that some are picky and prefer the COL on the short end of 1.64 and others will digest them up to 1.68). 

I also have my Bayou Bullets coming in tomorrow that I ordered in January that I am eager to try out. Even though they are 115 grain vs 110, still load 14grains of 110 or 296? I think 35whelen said something to that effect. 

I haven't messed with H110/W296 and cast, I save those powders for jacketed bullets. But undoubtedly 14.0 gr. of either will be fine with a 115 gr. cast bullet.

Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

I've been reloading for 36 years.  I am new to 30 carbine reloading and am on the learning curve as I write this.
Here are some Pearls to consider.
Case length is more critical than most think.  Consider this: Does it take more energy (pressure) to propel a bullet out of a 1.290" length case than a 1.280" length case?  You bet your boots it does.  That difference affects accuracy.
Reloading ain't fun if your looking at shooting 100 rounds in 1 plink session.  I reload everything in my gun safe save for the rimfire stuff so I treated myself to an RCBS Trim Mate case prep. machine.  (Google Youtube RCBS trim mate and watch the videos)

With that machine properly furnished w/ trimming equipment one can run a de-capped, sized case: 
1) trim to 1.280 using the Lee Case length gauge (Google it up),
2) clean the primer pocket by using the RCBS small pocket reamer (which reams to a finite depth then only cleans the crud outa the pocket afterward)
3) chamfer the mouth of the casing
 all in <8-10 seconds per case!

Give it a try.  I told my guru reload friend about mine and he scoffed and laughed, "Smith you and your stoopid ideas"
I bought him one, delivered , set it up and demonstrated it.  "It's all yours idiot, for the welding job you did on my stealth hunting golf cart." He tried it out and you'd think I had just handed him a sack of cut diamonds.   "Hey, this works!" I convinced him.

I'm quite interested in learning how to process a .30 Carbine case, start to finish in 8-10 seconds, but I'm not following how you're doing it.

Unless I'm missing something, the RCBS Trim Mate machine doesn't actually trim, it only chamfers, cleans primer pockets and inside the necks. But you are using it to trim? Other than that, I pretty much understand the rest.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2022 at 7:38pm
I use a Lee trimmer. It has a base that you can clamp in a drill and a shell holder that screws on. The cutter head has a tapped hole that the trimmer pilot screws into and automatically sets the trim length. Just put the case into the shell holder and tighten it down then stick the pilot into the deprimed case and start the drill turning. The cutter will remove the excess brass and stop cutting when the case is fully trimmed. If it doesn't need trimming, the cutter won't take anything off. After you trim, just take a couple of quick turns with the chamfer tool  inside and out and you are done. Takes about 10 seconds to complete the trim job; less if it doesn't cut anything because you don't need to chamfer the case unless it is cut.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2022 at 7:56pm
Yep.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2022 at 9:15pm
smoke pole that is what I have been using! Works good, but my driver isn’t big enough, and have to use a drill and sometimes the cutter would come out of the drill. I started to tighten it with channel locks tho so that works. Or I could buy a bigger driver 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2022 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

I've been reloading for 36 years.  I am new to 30 carbine reloading and am on the learning curve as I write this.
Here are some Pearls to consider.
Case length is more critical than most think.  Consider this: Does it take more energy (pressure) to propel a bullet out of a 1.290" length case than a 1.280" length case?  You bet your boots it does.  That difference affects accuracy.
Reloading ain't fun if your looking at shooting 100 rounds in 1 plink session.  I reload everything in my gun safe save for the rimfire stuff so I treated myself to an RCBS Trim Mate case prep. machine.  (Google Youtube RCBS trim mate and watch the videos)

With that machine properly furnished w/ trimming equipment one can run a de-capped, sized case: 
1) trim to 1.280 using the Lee Case length gauge (Google it up),
2) clean the primer pocket by using the RCBS small pocket reamer (which reams to a finite depth then only cleans the crud outa the pocket afterward)
3) chamfer the mouth of the casing
 all in <8-10 seconds per case!

Give it a try.  I told my guru reload friend about mine and he scoffed and laughed, "Smith you and your stoopid ideas"
I bought him one, delivered , set it up and demonstrated it.  "It's all yours idiot, for the welding job you did on my stealth hunting golf cart." He tried it out and you'd think I had just handed him a sack of cut diamonds.   "Hey, this works!" I convinced him.

If I could afford that thing it looks awesome but I’m just poor white trash LOLLOL
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2022 at 5:17pm
To clarify: Lee Case Length Gauge- it screws into the RCBS Trim Mate mechanism facilitating easy case trimming (2-5 seconds to) 1.280" each time I prepare a sized case for reloading. The next station is the primer pocket reamer/cleaner, the next 2 stations are the case mouth chamfers and your finished.

RCBS Trim Mate:  Amazon $166.97 (that's a hunnerd and 20 less than I payed for mine 4-5 years ago).  If you are not an Amazon member become one, get one of their credit cards which usually allows 25% off first purchase PLUS you can pay it out interest free over 6 months.  Tell your wife it's your Christmas present from her.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2022 at 8:30pm
SMOKEPOLE, Why does mine occasionally cut my brass way to short? I’ve had some be trimmed to 1.25! Luckily I measure after I trim each one, wish I didn’t have to. 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2022 at 3:16pm
Sounds like you got the case off center. Too much wobble will cause a short case. BTW, I use a B&D drill for mounting my base. Plenty of power for the cutter. I'm sure the Trim Mate works well, but $10 vs $170? And for a savings of just a couple seconds per round? I'll stick with the Lee trimmer.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2022 at 3:51pm
I have never been able to get consistent or comfortable with those drill-motor mounted trimmers. Ruined far too many cases before I trashed it. Must have been my fault I guess. I think all the cases have to be sized just right or the case will wobble on the pilot resulting in a ruined case. I just use my trusty ole Forrester hand-crank.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2022 at 5:15pm
I took Smokepoles advice years ago on trimming- to use a screw gun (Thx Again Jim). I was using just the hand trimmer, then tried the screw gun, which works good but gets heavy. I ended up laying a 1/2" chucked electric drill on its side in a wood workers vise mounted flat on the bench. By sliding a radiator hose clamp over the drills trigger I get the speed adjusted. Power cord is plugged in to a multi plug with on/off switch. Insert the trimmer and trim away with the cuttings dropping down in to a waste pail. 1 set of calipers is locked in at 1.285 clamped on the bench for quick length checks. After doing all my trimming I pull the trimmer and put the chamfer/deburr tool in, quick work. Chuck in the primer pocket cleaner , then a brush to burnish inside the cases. By having the chuck of the drill and inserted tool hanging off the end of the bench, I'm able to set directly over it and see I'm holding the brass in at a straight / square position. Drill runs fairly slow speed, so I just hold the case rim with gloved hand. By using just the screw gun (battery) I'd get to wobbling around as it got heavy or fingers cramping.
It works very well, cost is cheap since most have a 1/2" drill, radiator hose clamp and power strip around. Vise could be homemade, I just happened to have some laying around.

*I highly recommend a gloved hand on shorter cases or you'll get bit.*
** Also set the clutch very light in case you get your glove tangled up**

Ch-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2022 at 5:51pm

Fast and easy-peasy and unless you somehow manage to get the case in wrong, you can't trim it too short, so long as you set the trimmer up right to begin with.

I chuck the chamfering tool in my drill press which also makes that job quicker. I thought about buying one of the chamfering "stations", but I have too much stuff already. Primer pockets get cleaned during the wet polishing/cleaning.

David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2022 at 7:40am
I have no idea what I paid for it but I have an RCBS case trimmer, its spring loaded, it works well. If your doing a volume of cases it's boring work but you get great results.
David Milisock
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2022 at 6:28pm
I did 1500 cases recently. Took me 2 days, but then I was working in an unheated garage in freezing weather so I couldn't work all that long on either day. But I can tell you, that is a lot of cases to trim!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2022 at 7:43am
I'm of the opinion that case trimming to at least half way between minimum and maximum is a good idea for reliability. 
David Milisock
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 4:25pm
Ok Fellers, another Question for the reloading Guru's

How many times on average, can you reuse the same brass? I think I have seen where it depends on the brass used, but I mainly have:

Lake City
Korean surplus
Commercial (Armscor and Freedom munitions)

what are yalls answers? 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 10:30pm

How many times on average, can you reuse the same brass? I think I have seen where it depends on the brass used, but I mainly have:

Lake City
Korean surplus

what are yalls answers? 

I've well over 1000 rounds of handloaded M1 Carbine. I typically process a batch of brass and reload it over and over. I've lost exactly one to a partial head separation and any others, which are maybe a couple dozen, to split necks.
  So to answer your question, well, it's hard to say, many times!
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 10:52pm
Is the head separation and split necks something you noticed while collecting your brass, or how did you discover it? Was it when you went to reload them again? Just trying to picture what it looks like
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2022 at 11:02pm
I usually noticed the problems when I went to reload them. 

So my MO is to sort by headstamp then size, trim, wet clean then load them. After each subsequent firing and sizing, in order to remove the lube, I throw them in a vibratory cleaner with corn cob. Once a batch of cases has been loaded/fired enough that they're dirty and need to be wet cleaned again, I switch to another batch that have been trimmed and wet cleaned. In doing this I occasionally find the odd piece of brass with a split neck, but it's really quite infrequent. And as I said, I've only seen one head separation, and it was partial, and for all I know, it was a piece of brass that had been loaded more than once before I bought it.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2022 at 7:43am

Lake City
Korean surplus

what are yalls answers? 

Talking 30 Carbine here!

The amount of reloads you get from brass has so many variables it's impossible to judge. I know I have some that have been loaded 10 times others crap out in 4 or 5 loadings. 

I advise you check each piece of brass for length and structural integrity before each loading.
David Milisock
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2022 at 9:21am
   Just like to throw my two cents in. Each step in the reloading process should include inspection. I don't know about the fellas that use the progressive, automated presses that are available today, but for me, on my old Lyman turret; after tumbling, before sizing/decapping, after sizing/decapping, priming, and  bullet seating/crimping, all these steps provide opportunities to inspect your brass for signs of fatigue or actual failure. I, like 35W, have reloaded a lot of 30 carbine, and failures are few and far between.

So, all that being said, just keep an eye out for signs as you reload your brass, and above all, have fun!    
GSMC(SW),USN
2/77-11/89
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>