The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to Reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Reloading
    Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 2:57pm
OK guys, sorry If this has been posted, but after searching the forum I have not found what I am looking for exactly. I also looked on the CMP Forums for it as well. 

I have never reloaded any ammunition before, but as much as I shoot my carbines, I decided now was the time. I have accumulated all components required to reload. Hand Press, dies, ram prime, 110gr fmj projectiles, w296, cci SRP, scales, caliper, funnels and am borrowing a buddy's case tumbler/cleaner or whatever the proper vernacular is. 

Someone please explain to me things to be sure of when I am reloading, such as case trimming (I have seen some say the carbine doesn't require it and others say You have to, or you will surely perish), lubrication, etc.

Can someone explain this to me like I am a 5-year-old? Let me know of the do's/don'ts, the must and must not's. I am a professional plinker, and just want reliability and a way to lower the cost of my plinking addiction. I have watched on YouTube, but the videos I have stumbled upon appear to be at a higher level and are not specific to the carbine. 

ThanksBeer Gentlemen. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 3:42pm
Update: I was able to find something helpful on youtube. Thanks anyways. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 4:09pm
I’m your Huckleberry…….and you are my neighbor anyway😁.

Different loaders (the person) might have little tricks they use, so some of this stuff can vary and get rather lengthy. Some folks dress up in a hazmat suit (practically) and were a respirator. People like me sit around in their underwear and do it. 

My suggestion is that you go watch your buddy load a few of his calibers and maybe load some carbine rounds for you as you observe. Another option is to offer to buy me lunch and I might come help you.

I have a good record. Still got 10-fingers, 10-toes, 2-eyes and one nose. Have never blew-up a pet or damaged my wife in the process.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I’m your Huckleberry…….and you are my neighbor anyway😁.

Different loaders (the person) might have little tricks they use, so some of this stuff can vary and get rather lengthy. Some folks dress up in a hazmat suit (practically) and were a respirator. People like me sit around in their underwear and do it. 

My suggestion is that you go watch your buddy load a few of his calibers and maybe load some carbine rounds for you as you observe. Another option is to offer to buy me lunch and I might come help you.

I have a good record. Still got 10-fingers, 10-toes m, 2-eyes and one nose. Have never blew-up a pet or damaged my wife in the process.

I will have to take you up on that offer, I know of a good place in Tylertown to get some grub, but I don't think they serve lunch and you had better like fried fish to go there (I am sure you know what I am talking about, but I cannot think of the name of the place). I think you and my buddy are in the same camp of not trying to make it too scientific, and he also used the analogy of having all of his fingers, except he added a statement about still having two of something else, however.  He is also wanting to put a night vision scope on his pellet gun to kill rats at nighttime (he aint right I know) on his farm so he is a little out there on the fringes of society. He has reloaded everything you can think of except a carbine. 

I got a Lee hand press, so my 100% intentions are to do it in my underwear, you read my mind LOL. Some things I have read have made me think I was joining a bomb-squad, while others make it seem like a very simple cartridge to reload. I would like to meet up and pick your brain on it and see if after we eat if there isn't a range around. Neighbors in rural south Mississippi is still an hour haul one way Wink  
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 4:36pm
It takes a little effort to blow your hand off, or blind yourself, but it’s possible. A hand-press comes in handy in more ways than one and goes well with either boxers or briefs.

Be savin’ your brass and after these holidays and get-togethers, we’ll meet. I do like fish!
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 4:41pm
Stogner's, that's the name of it. And sounds good, I won't let you forget. 

And I have been saving my brass since I started shooting, so I have more brass than my 1,000 count of primers will allow me to reload. If you want some brass or if your supply is low on 30 carbine brass, I will for sure let you have some because I definitely have more than enough. Considering I also have at least 4,000 rounds of loaded Lake City/Korean surplus now. Would like to reload primarily so I can keep the good surplus ammo in reserve!  

Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 7:14pm
You fellas reloading in your underwear is not a mental image I want to have!ShockedConfused
GSMC(SW),USN
2/77-11/89
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

OK guys, sorry If this has been posted, but after searching the forum I have not found what I am looking for exactly. I also looked on the CMP Forums for it as well. 

I have never reloaded any ammunition before, but as much as I shoot my carbines, I decided now was the time. I have accumulated all components required to reload. Hand Press, dies, ram prime, 110gr fmj projectiles, w296, cci SRP, scales, caliper, funnels and am borrowing a buddy's case tumbler/cleaner or whatever the proper vernacular is. 

Someone please explain to me things to be sure of when I am reloading, such as case trimming (I have seen some say the carbine doesn't require it and others say You have to, or you will surely perish), lubrication, etc.

Can someone explain this to me like I am a 5-year-old? Let me know of the do's/don'ts, the must and must not's. I am a professional plinker, and just want reliability and a way to lower the cost of my plinking addiction. I have watched on YouTube, but the videos I have stumbled upon appear to be at a higher level and are not specific to the carbine. 

ThanksBeer Gentlemen. 

First and foremost, anyone with a YouTube account and a means by which to make videos are instant experts. So as they say, "Trust, but verify."

Someone teaching you as FTC has offered is wonderful, but it's still not a bad idea to own a manual as they all have good step-by-step instruction sections. The Lyman 49th is a really, really good one and they can be had for around $25 on eBay. So, a few pointers-

The .30 Carbine is a pretty simple round to load. You will need to watch case length, but they stretch pretty slowly. Max case length is 1.290", so I keep a caliper set at 1.285" on my loading bench. If AFTER SIZING, the brass won't pass through the caliper, they get trimmed and reamed, otherwise, they get loaded. Again, size your brass THEN measure its length.

Since the cartridge headspaces on the mouth, a taper crimp is best, and I use a separate taper crimp die for this caliber. Some use the 

I've found that small pistol primers and small rifle primers may be pretty much interchanged where this cartridge is concerned. I've chronographed this cartridge extensively with both primers in standard and magnum variety, and there's not a nickels worth of difference in velocities between any of them. 

I've been loading the .30 Carbine for almost 2 years now and I think what I appreciate most about it, is it shoots cast bullets marvelously. The cast bullet loads I use easily match and in many cases exceed the accuracy of that obtained with 110 gr. FMJ's. I use AL2400 and AL410 for my cast loads. If you want to really shoot on the cheap, Bayou Bullets offers a great bullet for the .30 Carbine for less than 8¢ apiece. With 13.0 gr. of AL2400 I've run them a bit over 1900 fps with zero leading. While they're not very accurate past 100 yds., from that distance and under, they great bullets for plinking. 

So there are some pointers, but again, get a manual.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 9:01pm
One thing you didn't mention having is case lube. You will need it. Even if you have carbide dies, you will need it, just not as much. Carbine cases are not straight walled. They have a small taper. Believe me, you don't want a stuck case. Its not impossible to remove, but it is a pain in the backside.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2021 at 11:18pm
Another thing not mentioned on the OP's current "have" list, is a case mouth chamfering tool.  This hand-held tool de-burrs the inside and outside of the case mouth after trimming.  There's lots of machining done to this slug that justifies its $25 price. 

I do trimming with a Lee tool.  They are sold in two pieces:  one piece is the cutter, it accepts the OAL stem gauge.  The case goes into a holder that can be chucked up to a drill, and the other part of that purchase is the OAL stem gauge.  Its threaded end is split and oversized, meant to allow for careful threading into the cutter from "no-go" to "go" cutting lengths. Don't get carried away as you thread the gauge into the cutter, lest you bottom it out and trim your cases too short.  

If you have your cases chucked up in a drill as with the Lee trimmer, you may as well take advantage of that.  Use a .30 cal brush on a pistol rod and spin the case around that a few times.  Then use 0000 steel wool and spin the case inside that, briefly.  

A flash hole reamer is a nice but not necessary thing to have.  A hand-held tool costs $15, and you only have to use it once per case, once and the job is done is forever- but hey we're talking .30 cal carbine here, perhaps consistency of ignition through the flash hole is not such a critical thing.  
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2022 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Quietus Quietus wrote:

Another thing not mentioned on the OP's current "have" list, is a case mouth chamfering tool.  This hand-held tool de-burrs the inside and outside of the case mouth after trimming.  There's lots of machining done to this slug that justifies its $25 price. 

I do trimming with a Lee tool.  They are sold in two pieces:  one piece is the cutter, it accepts the OAL stem gauge.  The case goes into a holder that can be chucked up to a drill, and the other part of that purchase is the OAL stem gauge.  Its threaded end is split and oversized, meant to allow for careful threading into the cutter from "no-go" to "go" cutting lengths. Don't get carried away as you thread the gauge into the cutter, lest you bottom it out and trim your cases too short.  

If you have your cases chucked up in a drill as with the Lee trimmer, you may as well take advantage of that.  Use a .30 cal brush on a pistol rod and spin the case around that a few times.  Then use 0000 steel wool and spin the case inside that, briefly.  

A flash hole reamer is a nice but not necessary thing to have.  A hand-held tool costs $15, and you only have to use it once per case, once and the job is done is forever- but hey we're talking .30 cal carbine here, perhaps consistency of ignition through the flash hole is not such a critical thing.  

I have purchased all of these. Thanks. I went ahead and reloaded the ones that fell under the max trim length of 1.29. So far so good. 

And 35 Wheelen, have you used the Bayou bullets with any other powders, if so, how were the results. I have a somewhat good source for 296 and H110
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 3:10am

I have purchased all of these. Thanks. I went ahead and reloaded the ones that fell under the max trim length of 1.29. So far so good. 

And 35 Wheelen, have you used the Bayou bullets with any other powders, if so, how were the results. I have a somewhat good source for 296 and H110

Having already established AL2400 and AL410 as my cast bullet powders in my carbines, I have not tried the Bayou bullet with any other powders. I have however used H110 and W296 with my own cast, gas-checked bullets and they worked fine. I'd suggest keeping velocities not much over 1900 fps, which would probably require about 14.0 grs. of either of these powders.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 2:56pm
Thank you, I will give them a try and start off on the low end of the powder charges and see how it goes! cannot beat that price. My wife is thrilled I have taken up reloading as its much cheaper than my other habits LOL
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 3:10pm
What she don’t know can’t hurt her!
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

What she don’t know can’t hurt her!

Thats true but it seems everytime I have a big order come in she beats me home to find a tiny box on our front porch that weighs 20 pounds and she has figured out by now whats in those little heavy boxes 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2022 at 8:25pm

Thank you, I will give them a try and start off on the low end of the powder charges and see how it goes! cannot beat that price. My wife is thrilled I have taken up reloading as its much cheaper than my other habits LOL

The only thing better than that price, is the price of casting your own. I have narrowed down my casting to two different moulds; the RCBS 30-115-SP (L) and the Lyman 311576 (R). 

Both molds are rather difficult to find, but both drop bullets that are very accurate.

davevella View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davevella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2022 at 3:53pm
Ditto on the youtube comment. I have watched a bunch of those, and while I appreciate the effort folks go through to provide us info, a bit of that info is, shall I say, questionable. Maybe it's because people make money off these things and are in a hurry to put out as many as possible, I don't know, I just get disappointed sometimes. The problem is if you are just learning, you won't recognize the issues until it's too late, so be careful.

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet... many surplus rounds come with a crimp around the primer. I haven't started reloading carbine cases yet, but this is true for many other calibers. I'm sure many of the folks here will be able to clarify that. If the carbine cases have a crimp, this will have to be removed. I used to just use the pointy end of the case neck reamer/chamfer tool, but now I use a Dillon Super Swage.

Also, I try to prime all of my cases with a Lee Auto Pime hand priming tool. I just like to feel the primers go in. Under different circumstances, I keep a primer pocket go/no-go gauge handy. The story behind that started when friend #1 gave a bucket full of brass to friend #2 to reload for him. Friend #2 used a progressive reloader. Turns out a couple of the cases had oversize primer pockets and the loose primers caused a bit of a problem. 

I also like to use a case gauge. After resizing I just drop the case in the gauge and I can tell instantly if it has been sized and trimmed properly.

Lot's of little things you will pick up as you go. If I was a little closer, I would join you and FTC at the loading bench. Having a buddy to walk you through the process is a big bonus. 
Dave
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2022 at 4:21pm
Yes I was told to look out for the primer pocket. I have not ran into any of them yet and most of my ammo is a military surplus. Maybe the 30 carbine surplus ammo does not have the swaged primer pockets? Or maybe the lots i have just do not.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2022 at 5:33pm
Crimped primer pockets are fairly uncommon in .30 carbine rounds. I've been loading them for many years and have only seen a very few. Those were some strange foreign cartridges.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2022 at 7:25pm
okay thanks smoke. I had bought the stuff expecting all my milsurp to have crimped primer pockets, but never ran into one. All my ammo is either lake city/Korean with a few commercial mixed in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>