Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Presentation carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

no need for serial if never had one, need if it has been monkeyed with or removed, then you need a new serial. ATF has to give you new serial once you apply for it unless they can prove was used in a crime. To be safe simply remove barrel and take in then. It takes about 6 weeks to get new serial, then you have to take in and show them the applied serial number. They will not give you a email or letter-is all done with recorded phone conversations.

Who determines if it ever had a serial number or if it has been monkeyed with or removed ?

I've seen some highly skilled removal jobs. Just curious Ermm

Thanks for quick reply to my mail MR. Any use for some lightly used Raptor parts ?  Evil Smile

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2021 at 8:17am
is this highly skilled?

another of interest

then there is the old acid test. X-ray, electron microscope, electron backscatter diffraction technique.

the problem with messing with a serial number is it is spelled out in the law. As it has been posted the campble soup gang works very hard to create a national registry. When they track it back as far as they can some peoples lives are gonna have difficulties, especially if it was used in a crime.

It has however been pointed out that there is a path to getting a new serial number.

Lets not confuse the above with a pre-68 firearm that has never had a serial number

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2021 at 1:35pm
Looked Censoreding highly skilled enough that it sold!

Like the 2 consecutive Un-Qualities in Larsons book that were shown by Horner with stake marks and mixed parts.
I have the before pics and copies of the parts listed that were on them when they were in Horners shop.
Before they were 'Machined and Restored' by Larson's shop.
Now they're in the book described as:

"The rarest of all full production carbines and prized by collectors" 

Let me know if you need pics of Horners work order and pictures of both with the adj stake marks.
Or the pics of the after products when Larson was done with them.
That information passed to me by Tommy Horner..........Wait, I believe that you Dan were also sent that email that includes the Fax from May of 1997 with CC Data sheets included.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2021 at 6:13pm
you are being mean--Roger does great work-I had him do couple projects for me-at end of day he works magic with rare stuff that needs restored--like the Turnbull of winchester and parker and now 1911 fame-he redid #1833 for me and a Inland-Underwood lineout and couple others--some will lose their lunch over this but if I ever sell any of them I will tell whoever buying what was done--I have kept before and after pics-is amazing what can be had for a price today. Roger told me if it looks to good to be true it may not be! I am a believer in that for sure today. Go to Vegas and bid on a collector car--not much original left on them. Is same for a lot of guns now showing up at auction houses so in real world buyer beware and hopefully sellers are honest folks. Now that said we know what awaits the collector world. I am one who feels a registry should be set up so collectors can have a so called "history" of a gun. Reason I say this is RIA--rock island auction-not armory is selling for a multiple time Rockola presentation gun-alas consecutive serial to another Rockola on same auction. For whatever reason they have not hype the consecutive serial rarity of but then again how rare will consecutive serial presentations be??? I know I have seen same Rockolas sell multiple times now on the auction circuit just like the car auctions or farm equipment auctions. At end of day auctioneers never lose, remember that.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2021 at 6:17pm
I forgot to add the two consecutive UN-Qualitys were missing a gun serial in between 10 yrs ago--maybe he found but if so would be a trifecta
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2021 at 8:26pm
Marcus! You shattered my faith! RESTORATIONS! Really??? *LOL*
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2021 at 11:05pm
well--annealed,rewelded, ground, blasted, heat treated, reparked-I guess I would call it "restoration"--personally I always like "resortation" if of real parts, orig finish and wear patterns--yes I have resortations, originals and a few restorations. All are special in there own way.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

does great work at end of day he works magic ....

Yep, There are some highly skilled people out there.
And there are those, not so much.

welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2021 at 7:19pm
about the acid testing for serials==they have to contract that work out now--is probably thousands of $$ per receiver, they do not do them selves as all those employees got let go in the people reduction in the 90's. No budget $$ for a random test--now if it was used to kill someone they would run a test on but any other purpose I don't think they could get authorization to do or spend the $$ for--economic reality we live into today when all operating on a budget
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12