Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Family Field Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Family Field Day
    Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 6:43pm
Rained all day here so broke out the Family and wiped them all down with Flax Seed Oil. The wood grain on these Carbines is really striking compared to the other Milsurps I collected in the past. Only the Swede Mausers had as nice of a rich grained wood as these Carbines have.

HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 6:45pm
Here's one of my Rock Olas :-)  Striking straight grained wood from buttstock to front forearm.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 6:57pm
On top is my early Inland built in May-June 1942 and on the bottom is my Winchester built late July 1945, with family members built in 1942, 1943, & 1944 in between.  

So two built in 42, two in 43, two in 44, and only one in 45... Hmmm, am I talking myself into possibly getting a second 1945 built Family member???  Maybe a 1945 built Inland? 

Naaa, no room in the Cabinet :-)
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by HammerGrunt HammerGrunt wrote:

On top is my early Inland built in May-June 1942 and on the bottom is my Winchester built late July 1945, with family members built in 1942, 1943, & 1944 in between.  

So two built in 42, two in 43, two in 44, and only one in 45... Hmmm, am I talking myself into possibly getting a second 1945 built Family member???  Maybe a 1945 built Inland? 

Naaa, no room in the Cabinet :-)

Pssst......over here

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 7:19pm
NICE :-)
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 8:28pm

NICE :-)

That gentlemen is the sound of willpower weakening and another Carbine being added to someone's collection Evil SmileEvil Smile
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2021 at 10:10pm
Would love to say we are a good support group- but in reality we all just as tempted. You never know when the next carbine will join the fold
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 9:22am
At the risk of adding more bidding competition... Lol The very last Inlands are a favorite of mine. They represent the very best incorporating all the latest part revisions and improvements learned throughout production. Because of this, many haven't ever been messed with. Mine are all tack drivers and function perfectly "out of the box". I have a project to own specimens with a barrel date for each month of 1945 they were produced (as well as the "I-BR"). Of course, once you get to ~4-45 this means building an M1 with the later barrel assembly. Remaining: I'm looking for missing 7-45 and 8-45 barrels, and a nicer 4-45 in case a member is able to help me get closer to my goal :) One of these days I'll post a picture of the "45" born family. Inland was an absolute powerhouse in carbine development and production and I've really come to appreciate them over the years.

Add: Beautiful looking collection Hammer! You've picked up some great ones.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Bigheavy31 Bigheavy31 wrote:

Would love to say we are a good support group- but in reality we all just as tempted. You never know when the next carbine will join the fold

Well, stay tuned Big smile I'm waiting for Fulton Armory to send me my NPM back from it's tech inspection (I'm trapped at home right now waiting for the damn UPS truck all day).

Later this week or next week I'll be getting my new production Fulton in. They called me yesterday saying it was ready (I hope, I missed the call of course), so that should be shipped this week.

I'll post range reports on both as I get them to the range. I'm planning on the NPM this week along with my 1943 Inland and I'll get the new FA as I can between next weekend and Thanksgiving weekend 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 10:22am
Awesome Joel, you have given me a great Out in that I can just feel that the gap of a second 1945 Inland produced Carbine is being filled in an Associate's amazing collection in WI Smile

I'd love to see some pics of your 1945 Inlands...
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 10:32am
Its interesting to me that my beautiful grained RMC High Wood I-Cut stock was still good enough for War because this May 44 (last month of Rock Ola production) 6216xxx Carbine was put in a early War type stock, and then even after it went thru its Post War Re-Arsenal process of getting an Adjustable Rear Sight, Type 3 Bayonet lug, Flip arm safety, and an Inland Trigger Housing group, the Government Arsenal left it in this stock :-) 
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 3:04pm
That's a beautiful stock, for sure! The color variations in the grain striations remind me of a Tiger's Eye stone.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 4:16pm

Its interesting to me that my beautiful grained RMC High Wood I-Cut stock was still good enough for War because this May 44 (last month of Rock Ola production) 6216xxx Carbine was put in a early War type stock, and then even after it went thru its Post War Re-Arsenal process of getting an Adjustable Rear Sight, Type 3 Bayonet lug, Flip arm safety, and an Inland Trigger Housing group, the Government Arsenal left it in this stock :-) 

Odd's are since Rockola was winding down production they used up parts and stocks on hand. When it went through rebuild the stock was considered serviceable so it wasn't replaced.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2021 at 10:32pm
Do you mean that after it was rebuilt it wound up in a serviceable stock that was from the same manufacturer

from TM9-1276

With tens of thousands of arms flowing through rebuild programs there was exactly zero interest in keeping parts to the carbine that were stripped off of.
Many of these rebuild programs had civilian workers. No one in the rebuild knew or cared what the markings on various parts were or who made them.

There were ordnance documents that do not even have the correct part markings listed compared to what was actually used
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2021 at 8:33am
"With tens of thousands of arms flowing through rebuild programs there was exactly zero interest in keeping parts to the carbine that were stripped off of. Many of these rebuild programs had civilian workers. No one in the rebuild knew or cared what the markings on various parts were or who made them"

I had always thought my Grandfathers Rock Ola had kept its original RMC stock but had just got the other Post War upgrades when it went thru the Govt Rebuild program after WW2.  If i understand your comment above that's not the case and it actually was just very lucky that it was put into an I-Cut RMC stock from a pile of stocks at the Rebuild site. Wow...

The amazing history and "my luck" in getting this Rock Ola then from my Grandfather 40 years ago continues to compound :-)  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2021 at 3:39pm
Does the stock have a rebuild marking?

Many times they, along with any remains of a CC have been sanded off by an owner

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2021 at 3:53pm
It has RMC in sling-well but I dont see a circle Cannon Cartouche on the right side of the buttstock. 

It does have this 37 (rack #?) and what I assume was a circled P on the bottom of the pistol grip.

Post Reply Post Reply