The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member with Rock-Ola carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member with Rock-Ola carbine
    Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 9:15am
New member from Louisiana.  An elderly friend recently gave me several guns.  They had belonged to his brother in law who had brought them back after serving in the Philippines in WW2 .  He has no heirs and wanted the guns to go to someone who would appreciate them.  One of them was this Rock-Ola M1 carbine.  It was very dirty but cleaned up nicely.  I hit the internet and tried to find out more about it.  The serial number puts it in the first batch mfg from Nov 42 to Nov 43.

It has the L sight, type 1 barrel band, straight high wood stock with I cut recess, early handguard, early bolt and push safety.  From what I can tell, it seems to be all Rock-Ola parts.  Someone may be able to tell me more about this gun.  Needless to say, I am very excited about owning this piece of history.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 9:23am
Nice looking carbine you have. Welcome to the forum. Greetings from Hattiesburg MS. Where about are you located in LA?
Oldboy53 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 9:35am
Welcome Proppa. Great looking RO, spreadsheets on here puts that one at Sep 43 'probable made by date'. Congrats!
GSMC(SW),USN
2/77-11/89
HammerGrunt View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 10:01am
Welcome to this awesome group of carbine collectors and enthusiast. You’ll be able to find quite a bit of information about your RockOla here. 

Congratulations! You have a very special historic early RockOla. I have one thats just about 14,000 numbers earlier than yours so they would’ve been made very close together.

That’s the first time I’ve seen that Circle B/R stamp on your type 3 hammer. It’s interesting.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 11:57am
Unfortunately, many think that the R means Rock-ola.

CCNL 372 shows that The B/R hammer is a replacement hammer made by Brunner Ritter. The B/R is the company logo

proppa View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 12:35pm
southwest LA, Lake Charles
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 12:54pm
Proppa, welcome to the forum. That is one very nice Rock-Ola carbine. I used to live in Lafayette, LA back in the 80"s. Great food.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 1:43pm
this is the type hammer RockOla was using when your Carbine was made.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 2:15pm
A 170xxxx is in the transitional area, it may have had a dogleg or fatboy hammer.
The trigger housing, if original to the carbine will tell the story if it once wore an earlier hammer

there are a few RO guys that may have more info on just how late we have seen earlier hammers
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 2:23pm
I looked at about 7 different RockOla Carbines that were in within 15,000 numbers earlier than this one and they all had this type of Type 3 marked hammer in the pictures that I saw. 

I didn’t realize that Type1 dogleg hammers were still being used in this Serial number range. That’s interesting.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 6:28pm
do you know if the carbines you looked at were restored or originals?
Could it be those doglegs on observed carbines in the stated range were from the bottom of the bin and finally got dug out?

Lots of things going on.

Let's think about this one, it appears correct but it has a replacement hammer. 

Was the hammer swapped? If so why? Was it to replace a dogleg?

Was it an incorrect restoration based on incorrect info?

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HammerGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2021 at 7:49pm
All excellent points.  I just sent you a PM letting you know where the other six RockOkas came from that I was referring to in addition to the one that I have.
 Post Reply Post Reply