The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carbine, New issue (to me)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 9:02pm
ok, I got it to do it with Korean army surplus cycling in my home

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 9:42pm
Swap bolts with your other carbine and see if it still does it. Is your extractor plunger installed correctly? Is your chamber pitted?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 9:54pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 9:55pm
it should be. The slot on the plunger fits in the slot on the extractor. Let me know if I have been doing it wrong all along. I don’t think I have tho 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 9:58pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 10:01pm
That is correct, can you pry up on the extractor lip, it should move and the plunger should move inward.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 10:12pm
WHAT IS GOING ON THIS JUST HAPPENED WHILE CYCLING MY ROUNDS ARMSCOR AMMO

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 10:14pm
yes. I tried the spare bolt I just got, and I cycled the rounds fine until I literally had a bullet come unseated. See the picture I just posted 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2021 at 10:25pm
chamber is not pitted, bore is like a mirror. Tried with new bolt. Went well until I had a bullet come unseated. See my picture. Feel free to share my plight with other experts. I am at a loss been around firearms my hole (short) life. Never seen that. Or heard of it. These aren’t reloads. Ordered from Palmetto (armscor) a couple months ago. I cycled my Korean surplus with my spare bolt through it fine. Had issues with the original quality hardware bolt. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 6:05am
It would be understandable for the spare bolt to run, it might be slightly shorter lengthening head space. If one cycles a round long enough, it’s possible to pull the bullet if it is being slightly grabbed by the rifling, or rough handled. Case tension can loosen by handling the round.

I know you are gathering the stuff you need to make some measurements. Discovering what’s going on with head space and brass length will help us determine what’s going on here.

I think Wayne was inquisitive about the extractor as I was. If it is somehow not installed properly, it might interfere with closing by not jumping over the rim. If it can be manipulated freely with a punch or screwdriver….should be good. Jumping back off the rim as you tried to extract it can be caused by the round being driven into the chamber (tight head space). I know I sound like a broken record, but checking that is the first step.

Edited by floydthecat - Oct 19 2021 at 6:22am
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 8:28am
ok thanks Floyd. My caliper comes in tomorrow. Will check it out tomorrow and report back. Thanks y’all, for helpin a rookie out
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 8:35am
yes I can pry the extractor , but it is quite stiff compared to my inland bolt. Should I change the extractor spring out?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 8:41am
Sometimes it might feel like we beat things to death and drone-on, but in the long run….others that watch learn in the process. The carbine is a wonderful little piece of machinery. Most problems can be solved by the knowledgeable forum members here that have been there and done that. I am confident this one will be corrected too.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

yes I can pry the extractor , but it is quite stiff compared to my inland bolt. Should I change the extractor spring out?

You can measure your spring length. Anything down around .380 can be too weak and much above .420 could be too stiff. There could be some difference in the “feel”, but the test is, does it work and if it does, spring length won’t matter. Lets solve one problem at a time.😁
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 9:22am
A slight aside.  I bought dummy rounds (aka snap caps) to cycle and dry fire practice (has a rubber primer).  After a number of cycles the bullets started to  get pulled out.  I noticed it first when they didn't easily load and unload from the magazine.  Being empty cartidges I just squeezed them back in with a vise.  Obviously or maybe not so obviously don't do that with a live round.

My points are that its not unusual for the bullet to get yanked a little when cycled without firing. 
And if you want rounds for cycling there are people out there selling dymmy rounds and snap caps.
The dummy rounds made for the US Military may be more durable ???? in terms of cycling without pulling apart.  
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 10:06am
Another aside….the ogive of the bullet can vary among manufactures. Some broader nosed projectiles might be more apt to stick in the rifling. Some shooters have reported their carbine will only feed USGI spec ammo. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 10:27am
Yessir, I hope so. I would like to be able to solve this while maintaining the bolt since it is the correct one for the model. But If i cant shoot it, I will obviously swap bolts. If headspace is indeed the issue, what (if anything) can be done? 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Another aside….the ogive of the bullet can vary among manufactures. Some broader nosed projectiles might be more apt to stick in the rifling. Some shooters have reported their carbine will only feed USGI spec ammo. 

I had issues with the Aguila, and then Armscor. I thought it was all aquila, but then realized the other mag was loaded with armscor. After i noticed that ( I was out of the aguila), i looked through the remaining armscor rounds I had and sure enough, almost every single round has the bullet seated at different depths and the projectiles are 100% more round/fat than the military surplus I compared it against. The rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper for me. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 10:33am
well that makes me feel better. I have cycled plenty of rounds (safely, of course) and hadn't had the issue. But I primarily shoot usgi/korean surplus ammo, but decided I would shoot up all the commercial ammo I have first (other than my softpoints) and hold on to the surplus for a rainy day. It seems the only commercial ammo that has not given me any issues in the short time (about 7/8 months) I have been shooting and learning about carbines is the Freedom Munitions/LAX ammo. But I will check my firearms headspace first before I arrive at my conclusion. 

Something else that makes me think the firearm may have a bug in it is that my inland shoots the commercial ammo just fine. I am confident with all of your help I can get this figured out.

The bugs I had with my inland when I first got it were Failure to Feeds, and I was able to figure that one out on my own. This one is a new one to me. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2021 at 2:55pm
If it makes any difference, this is a quality hardware, therefore it has the spring tube receiver. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>