The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose handguard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 2:43pm
it will get under the lip of the band, but not much of it is contacting it. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 3:03pm
That is a better picture and it’s obvious now there is a considerable gap between the spring heel and the front of the band. The band is going to shoot-forward under fire.

The thing is, you are not going to be able to just purchase another guard and guarantee it might be a little longer. You really need access to several you can try. When you have more than one carbine, you can often switch guards around. The one that don’t fit that one might work on another one and vice-versa.

People have recommended:

Build up the nose-lip with a wood filler.
Add a fabric, rubber or leather shim at
   the front of the nose.
Customize the band spring nose by welding
   material and reshaping the heel.
Plug the band leg hole and move it rearward.

OR….get a longer guard. My experience with band springs is they are all the same.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 3:13pm
how tight does the barrel band screw need to be under normal operation? Does the sling swivel need to move freely, or can it be so tight it doesn’t move? 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 3:42pm
I just got my 2nd carbine last night, and it’s handguard does Fit it perfect. And I mean the screw on the band, not the retaining spring. Also, would I shim between barrel and handguard, or between the band and handguard?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

how tight does the barrel band screw need to be under normal operation? Does the sling swivel need to move freely, or can it be so tight it doesn’t move? 

Welcome to the good, the bad and the ugly.😁

The reason they updated the T1 band to the T2 at first and then T3 for the bayo lug, was to improve the strength of that connection point. The T1 band was/is prone to movement.

The good is that the T1 was the original band and is highly desired. If you have the original T1 band that came on the carbine….that’s the good. The bad is it’s inferior in terms of securing that connection. I don’t think you can tighten it enough to improve things without bending it or binding the swivel. If the band was properly engaging the spring, different matter, but yours isn't. For that matter, if the T2 or T3 does not lock into position on the spring heel, they won’t stay put either, but they will tighten-up more securely.

I’d put my T3 on it and see if it mates with that guard and shoot the thing. That T1 band can be worth north of $125.00…..put it in the safe!
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 3:58pm
Floyd. not all band springs are the same length. I just replaced a short one with a long one because the short one didn't hold the barrel band in place. The long one did snap over the band. I can tell you for certain that there are different lengths of springs.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:06pm
can someone show me how it’s supposed to look?? I am losing my mind. Still lots to learn. Thanks 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:10pm
That notch on the band should just barely go past the edge of the band, right up against it. There should be no gap between the back of the notch and the band. Yours shows a big gap. I think the round head springs are the shorter ones. The difference is only a few thousandths, but it makes a big difference in how they hold the band.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Floyd. not all band springs are the same length. I just replaced a short one with a long one because the short one didn't hold the barrel band in place. The long one did snap over the band. I can tell you for certain that there are different lengths of springs.

I stand corrected, but it was just my personal experience. I have sought different springs, but never came up with one shorter or longer enough that made a difference. You don’t find them listed in any particular size….just band springs. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:19pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:20pm
I just posted my 2 side by side 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:47pm

I just posted my 2 side by side 

There’s your comparison. The band on the left butts right up against the heel (flat) on the back of the spring. The one on the right clearly shows the gap between the band and the heel.

Band noses can have a couple different configurations. Switch band springs and see if fitment improves. They tap out from the small hole on the left side of the stock.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:48pm
do the metal tab at the rivets have to go all the way under receive lip? 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:51pm

do the metal tab at the rivets have to go all the way under receive lip? 

As long as the guard stays on…no. Maybe you are thinking about shimming that area? It’s possible.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:54pm
yes. I put a very oily piece of a rag under the rivet, and it causes the handguard to try to stand up at the nose end, do you think that will help it engage the barrel band and the shim will hold the handguard in place? It looks promising to me but I am just beginning 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:56pm
and on the side by side pic I posted above, do I want the band/retaining spring to fit like the carbine on the left?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:23pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:25pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:27pm
I just put a piece of cloth greased up and put it under rivet so it would be really snug, pulled it out from the receiver the tiny amount you can see in the pic, and it gave me the result I just posted pertaining to the band/retaining spring assembly. Is that what I want it to look like? And will that hold up? I’m gonna test it, but would like to know if I’m pissing in the wind. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:33pm

and on the side by side pic I posted above, do I want the band/retaining spring to fit like the carbine on the left?

Yes, like the one on the left. If you are trying to shim something, it has to make the guard shift forward the distance of the gap. Just place something like a pipe cleaner, rubber band or string across the top of the rear tab so it will prevent the guard from going all way home. As long as enough of the tab is under the lip, it should stay. Refrain from prying or mistreating that lip, they can be damaged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>