The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loose handguard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loose handguard
    Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:09pm
so far I’ve been dealing with it, and even tried putting a greasy cleaning path between handguard and barrel, But it’s driving me nuts. I don’t believe that the GI’s just dealt with the possibility of the handguard flying off after shooting several dozen rounds. What remedy is there to this? Would a shim work? If so, where would you shim it? I know it’s supposed to be “loose” so I’ve heard and read, but I can’t believe they didn’t have a way to remedy this. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:55pm
The fitment of the guard could have a lot to do with the fit of the barrel band. They don’t have to be lose and I won’t tolerate anything lose. Does it seem to be too short? The tab on the rear can be tweaked a bit if it helps? Is the band fitting snugly on the nose of the guard? Is the band spring solidly “clicking” into the band notch or is it out of position. 

All USGI guards are suppose to be the same, but some will fit a carbine different than others.

You can slightly deform the lip on the rear of the band a bit to grab the guard nose.

There could be several things amiss….just have to find out. The guard itself might be too short. Is the guard marked?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:01pm
handguard marked “IO” and is the 4 rivet version. 

Barrel band is type 1A. 

My band spring has good tension. 

Rear of handguard can go all the way under to the receiver slit, but I feel as if I can see some of the “nose” of the handguard where it slides over the band. It does “snap” when I slide it on however. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:17pm
That being an original 1A band….I would not be bending on it too much either, but you can “slightly” deform the lip inward at the corners. You could come-by a type III or even a cheap commercial or repro TI for a shooter band and maybe tweak it to fit.

If you had a friend with lots of stuff, you could try other guards for fitment. Commercial guards generally run a little longer. I have an unmarked (presumed commercial) 4-rivet on one of mine that really fits good and matches my stock.

What you can do with it depends on if it’s just for looking at (collector) or a shooter. You can take more liberties with a shooter.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:23pm
this is my shooter. I have a spare Vietnam era type 3 band and the tools needed to remove my sight. But really like how it looks as is and am having a hard time making my self change it... are you talking about bending the band it’s self? Would bending the metal end on the handguard at the receiver up so it catches the lip better help any? And no, I have no friends who share this hobby. I’m a “millennial“ (Gosh I hate that) so I’m pretty much a rarity.  Handguards look to be a lot cheaper than a type one band haha

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:29pm
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:36pm
from the picture it looks to me that the head of the retaining spring is sitting too far forward of your front band and when it fires it's letting the front band slide forward ever so slightly releasing your handguard to fly off. Maybe a trick of the lighting in the picture, but it looks like that retaining spring head should be closer to the band if that makes sense.hth
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:41pm
Yes….it can be common-practice to bend the metal tab ends on the rear of the guard to tighten that area up a bit, just lift the outer edge a tad. 

You have one thing going for you, an Inland hand guard is about the most common one, so you can replace it fairly easily. You know I would have to actually see whats going on with it before I shoot my mouth off about what you need to do.😁 

Remove the band spring and slide the band back against the nose of the guard and see if it tightens-up. If that helps, the hand guard is likely too short or the band spring is slightly out of position (the mounting hole).

About the only good remedy for that is a longer hand guard or bending the lip (ledge on the rear of the band) over/in a little to contact the hand guard. I absolutely do not tolerate a lose guard and I don’t prefer shims, plastic wood or glue on a gun. I have read where some shortened, reshaped and fashioned the band spring nose to allow the band to slide back farther against the guard and properly engage the band notch. As I look at the picture of yours, I think slightly bending the ledge on the back of the band might just tighten you up. You could put a piece of leather, cloth or rubber over the guard recess and see if it tightens up…..if it does, a little bending might just solve your problem.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 5:36pm
On second look….I blew your picture up and think I can detect some space between the heel of the band spring nose and front of the band. That being the case, the band will shoot loose until it contacts the heel of the spring nose.

There in lies your problem. The fitment in that area is usually not that sloppy on GI carbines. Typically sloppy on a commercial.

I would measure the length of that guard from the rear to the front of the nose and shop for one longer. Nothing wrong with asking a seller to measure it. The usual GI guard is close to 8-1/8th. I have found some commercial guards to be 8-1/4.

I have a spare I think….I will measure it.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 5:45pm
ok sounds good. I’m gonna measure mine when I get back home and post an update. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 6:06pm
I am pretty sure mines USGI. Just crappy quality control of it is indeed  short?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 10:04pm
I just went and picked up my 2nd carbine, and WOW. Got my collector one outta the way. I field stripped it, and all the parts are appear to be correct for a mid 43 QH. I’m gonna check it’s handguard (2 rivet, marked RMC) against the one in question. My inland (the one with loose hand guard) is my first true love and my shooter. Will keep you updated. Also, let me know if you end up having a spare you don’t mind parting ways with. From the looks of the way the QH type 1 barrel band fits on its handguard, I do think mine is somehow short. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 5:57am

Measure yours like this. This is an unmarked one I have lying around.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 10:54am
are you measuring from the end of the metal rivet plate, or where the wood and rivet meet? I stuck my rock ola one on my inland last night, and it fit perfect so I definitely believe it is something with the handguard dimensions. Wife has me out going to barn sales (I’m looking for stuff to at them) so will have to measure when I get home. But this morning when finishing up cleaning my new QHMC, I noticed I could not get the gas piston to move, even after flooding it with hoppes, and even tried to move it with a pair of tweezers. Gun has 0 carbon build up anywhere, seems like it hasn’t been shot in a long time. Even ran some patches through the bore and did not get anything. Any tips on what’s going on? Or do you think it just needs to be shot to free it up?
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 10:57am
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 11:10am
Do not include the metal tab, measure from wood-to-wood. Sounds like you're onto just a short hand guard. 

Shoot the carbine. If that don’t free it you will have to pull it. Shooting will usually do it.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 1:36pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 1:38pm
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 1:49pm
I do think its a tiny tiny bit shorter. I mean a 1/16th of an inch 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 2:26pm
It doesn’t take much to make a difference. With your screw just loose enough to slide the band, if you press it against the guard then slide it forward to touch the band heel….can you feel or detect some slack?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>