The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spare Parts to keep on hand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 4:37pm
6 in. Composite Digital Caliper (harborfreight.com) 

is this the el-cheapo you had in mind? anything that price has me curious. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 5:18pm
That is cheap!

I use a vernier caliper. LOL  I think dad bought from Sears in the 70's.
Never looses calibration if treated right and no batteries to go bad etc.
All it needs is a good eye, or these days for me that means a magnifier or at least reading glasses. LOL

I'd be Ok with a cheapy like that if I had something of known thickness to compare with ever so often. 

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 5:24pm
unless someone (Floyd, you, or anyone else) shows me a better alternative, I will probably end up buying a somewhat nice one instead of buying a POS and having to buy another one to check it with. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 5:37pm
Oh I didn't mean another caliper, I meant something that could act as a gage block. Or if you have a friend nearby who has a gage block.   I can't think of anything common off the top of my head but maybe someone will. 

Also I may be more picky than others.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 5:45pm
Certainly nothing wrong with buying a better quality tool. There is a tolerance to about anything. A couple thousandths off one way or another is not going to matter in this case. These are what I use for everything, even reloading. If all you plan to use it for is checking head space on occasion, these are fine. Now, if I were a gunsmith or machinist I’d probably toss them in the trashcan. You can read where guys have measured their head space gauges and find them off by a tad vs. the published dimensions. The craftsmanship of the gauge and tolerance of the measuring tool are at work. Then you have human error. When you get down to measuring in terms of ten thousandths or even thousands, how tight to fit the instrument can vary and any two times you measure the same thing may be different.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 7:22pm
I've got a Hornady branded caliper that I think I paid close to $40 for, it is made in China, it works fine but is probably made in the same place that the Harbor Freight caliper was.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2021 at 4:32pm
OK. I don't know where my brain was the other day.
If you ever changed your own spark plugs then you have some sort of half decent feeler gages.

When dealing with a caliper or micrometer of uncertain calibration.
a) clean the jaws with a piece of paper.
b) check the zero measurement.
c) check the measurement against a feeler gage.

I don't know what the tolerances are with a digital caliper but my guess is any offset will be either the same or linear.  In other works if it reads .001" closed (zero), then it will probably read .036" on a .035" feeler gage.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2021 at 7:11am
I prefer dial calipers. They are easy to check the zero on and adjust when needed. Plus they are easier to read with a good sized dial.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2021 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

I don't know what the tolerances are with a digital caliper but my guess is any offset will be either the same or linear.  In other works if it reads .001" closed (zero), then it will probably read .036" on a .035" feeler gage.

Just out of curiosity I grabbed a handful of feeler gauges to check my cheap Harbor Freight $10 digital calipers. Spot-on with the feelers. Couple of times a gauge would read off by .0005 (.0235 vs .024 feeler), but most of the time the reading matched the gauge. WAY better than government work.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

6 in. Composite Digital Caliper (harborfreight.com) 

is this the el-cheapo you had in mind? anything that price has me curious. 

Nope….mine are stainless steel and in a hard case. I don’t know if I would trust those plastic ones either? Maybe I gave a little more than $10, but it was not much more. My wife gives me $20 and takes my wallet and credit cards before she allows me to go shopping.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123