The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spare Parts to keep on hand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2021 at 10:52am
I figured after seeing the price. Any website I may not have discovered yet, or is GB, eBay about my best bets?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2021 at 11:10am
Both places, as well as other auction sites and WTB\WTS sections of forums, are good places just to look-and-learn what things are selling for. For sure, stay current with the marketing (for sale) section here on this forum. You will usually get an honest deal from a forum member.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2021 at 2:07pm
if you're going to be doing a lot of shooting, I would also suggest a spare sear. When they get worn, problems start. Would also invest in a couple recoil springs. The best place to get the recoil springs is on eBay from fellow member Ric player who is a great trusted seller and will be guaranteed original usgi. I would also invest in a nice L-shaped chamber brush because you want to keep the chamber especially clean.hth
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2021 at 3:59pm
I do have a 90 degree chamber brush and several recoil springs 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2021 at 2:19pm
I am so impatient, I have been scouring the web searching for a spare bolt. Cheapest bolts I can find are around $150. Is that about the "Going" Rate? And I can use the type 6 (or as the listing site says, "M2 not M1") slide with my m1 carbine, correct? I have found a couple of the type 6 slides for around $80
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2021 at 2:32pm
Yes a type 6 slide will work with an M1 carbine. Bolts are usually priced according to manufacturer and condition. $150 for a complete bolt sounds about right. You should be able to find a stripped bolt a bit cheaper. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2021 at 4:03pm
It seems the only ones I can find are complete bolts or uncomplete but a similar price. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 2:33pm
Update, I have a field gauge and spare bolt on the way

I cant seem to find clear instructions on proper usage.

Do I want the Field gauge to close, or not close? Seems to be an elusive topic unless my google skills are lacking. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:03pm
The action should not close on a field gauge. Using a gutted bolt of course, unless you obtain a gauge modified for use on a loaded bolt.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:05pm
Remove the slide, leave Bolt in the receiver in open position, insert the field gauge into the chamber, attempt to close the bolt on the gauge, it should Not lock closed on the field gauge.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:08pm
Yes, i ordered the Forester Field so it can be tested while the bolt is intact. as long as it doesnt go all the way into battery I am good? Or do I not want it to even begin to rotate downwards? 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:09pm
thanks. as long as it doesnt go fully into battery is considered "Passing?" or what exactly? 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:13pm
Yes as long as it does not completely close. Also see below picture.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:16pm
You will feel much better if it doesn’t try to rotate. Pressure is a subjective quantity when it comes to head spacing. Slight-pressure to rotate can mean different things to different people. If it tries to rotate with little or no thumb-assist, it’s on the edge of failing.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:25pm
excellent, thank you. What are the odds of the bolt I purchased not headspacing properly? Just curious. 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:28pm
okay sounds good. so I actually just want it to touch it without beginning to rotate. think I understand. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:49pm
"If it tries to rotate with little or no thumb-assist, it’s on the edge of failing."

Having just done this using your tape method, that's a great description.
I cheated a little. First I used masking tape as it let me get close the go/no go range to something like 2.94 to 3.04"   Then redid it using a stack of scatch tape starting around 2.94   and by 2.97 it wasn't going to fully rotate even with moderate pressure.

It will make sense when you do it. 

Odds of it passing?  I bet the odds are heavily in your favor unless mating surfaces are really worn.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 3:52pm
guess i need a caliper for the tape method?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 4:00pm
A Harbor Freight model is inexpensive and good enough. Different brands of tape may vary in thickness, but most I have measured are like 1.5 thousandths.

I considered the use of tape pretty cheesy, until I watched a video of a Smith head spacing a bolt-action target rifle using the same technique. And he was after 1-2 thousandths of space….not 22. 

There are other ways to perform the measurement. You can do it like you would measure an M1 or M14. Feeler gauges between the rear of the right lug and the recess wall added to your case length.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 4:02pm
Yes.
Not knowing how much the tape compresses, I measured before and after.  Didn't seem to change much.

If it wasn't mentioned, for the tape method the bolt needs to be disassembled.  That way the extractor is not trying to grab a thick rim and also you won't be fighting the ejector. 
I did it because I wanted an answer right away and I have everything needed on hand.
Having a machined gage that allows measurement with the bolt assembled could be real handy in any number of situations where bolt disassembly isn't practical.  I wouldn't feel bad about that purchase at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>