The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howdy from Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howdy from Texas
    Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 8:17am
Another new old guy here. 

One caveat, I'm more of a shooter than a collector. 
But I have always enjoyed military firearms and among my veteran military rifles I have an Underwood M1 carbine born in 1944.

I ordered it through shotgun news ($139.95) and took possession of it March 17, 1990.
It's a parkerized Blue Sky (the horror of it all Smile) brought back from Korea. 

Honestly, I never gave the carbine much thought, Just enjoyed shooting it. 
I never found it to be particularly accurate, but with the advent of the internet and reading the stories of Blue Sky, I chalked it up to a heavily stamped barrel or one that was just worn out.

The barrel and receiver appear to be original to the carbine, but most everything else looks to be a  hodgepodge of manufacturers. 
I am currently working my way through completing the Carbine Club form. 

My Carbine is still pretty much "as received".
I remember stripping and oiling the stock as it looked pretty horrible. 
I wish I had some photos, but I wasn't really documenting my life back then. lol.
I added a sling and a magazine pouch. 

Now that I'm retired, I have more time to do some shooting and reloading. 
I finally got to the M1 a couple of weeks ago. After reading an article on the CMP website about accuracy of the M1 Carbine, it turns out, my accuracy problem has been the recoil block all these years. 

5 rounds w/iron sights @ 70yds. 
I am not unhappy with these results after tightening up the recoil block, even with the flyer. 

Edited by JohnnyDollar - Sep 21 2021 at 8:34am
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 9:06am
Welcome!  That’s a beautiful rifle.  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 9:29am
Welcome, nice group. I'd say you have the accuracy problem sorted out now. Did you replace the recoil plate with a better fitting one or adjust it?

One of my best shooters has a small CAI import stamp on the bottom of the barrel. It doesn't know the difference ;)
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 10:04am
Hello- welcome to the club. I too value shooting my carbines and never let an import stamp stand in the way. Nice job getting the carbine shooting a nice group.
JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Welcome, nice group. I'd say you have the accuracy problem sorted out now. Did you replace the recoil plate with a better fitting one or adjust it?

One of my best shooters has a small CAI import stamp on the bottom of the barrel. It doesn't know the difference ;)
I beat it into submission per the CMP guidelines.
Except no brass hammer, so I used a block of wood and a steel hammer so as not to destroy the parkerized finish. 
You really have to hit that sucker hard to bend it, I was afraid I would break it, but then my army days kicked in and I thought, well, it don't work now, so, if it breaks I'll buy another. 

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 5:11pm
Welcome, from a fellow Texan, Carbine shooter, Carbine handloader, and Carbine collector (pretty much in that order, too).

That's a pretty nice group, glad you got your accuracy issues sorted out. 
JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

Welcome, from a fellow Texan, Carbine shooter, Carbine handloader, and Carbine collector (pretty much in that order, too).

That's a pretty nice group, glad you got your accuracy issues sorted out. 
Thanks.  
I only wish my hand loads were that accurate, but I just started this week.   
That is actually some HSM 110gr FMJ ammo I bought at Cabelas years ago.  I don’t even see that they make it anymore.   
It’s more accurate than Winchester Q3132.  

Post Reply Post Reply