The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stripper clip mag issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripper clip mag issues
    Posted: Aug 01 2021 at 8:11pm
Hello everyone,

Just used some Korean surplus ammo that I got from SG Ammo that came on the 10 rd stripper clips.  Had a problem with a few magazines after loading them using the stripper clips.  The mag would jam after a couple of shots and what I found was the left round in the mag would try to ride up over the round on the right.  It would have to be pushed down to get the round on the right to set correctly.  I have used these mags for quite a while and never had an issue with them but they had always been hand loaded.  I have also used stripper clips with other types of rifles and never had this happen but then again I may have just been lucky.  Oh forgot, these are 15 rd mags.  I did not top them up to 15 rounds.  To keep it simple I was just loading them with the 10 on the clips.  Anyone else encounter this?  
LT
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2021 at 10:08pm
I can't say I've come across this issue yet in using Korean surplus ammunition with supplied stripper clips in tandem with my GI mags. I hope someone chimes in that can shed a little more light on the issue and hopefully provide you with a solution.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2021 at 10:59pm
I'll be honest, while I've shot 1000's of rounds of the Korean surplus I've always taken it off the stripper clips.

That's because I've gotten enough of it that I questioned that I felt better inspecting every round.

1 can of 1080 i had to clean dirt or mold off of 40% of the rounds and tossed 80 rounds away to be safe
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2021 at 11:33pm
I've used about 2 1080 round cans of the Korean surplus, 15 round mags loaded from the strippers. No issues. Some of the spoons have been bent a bit but will fit. Off hand, I'd think that once the ammo is in the mag there's no difference than if you'd hand loaded it - the rounds fit in the mag the same. Two things you might want to check, excessive wear on the two nubs that engage the mag catch, and the direction of the mag spring.
Pro Libertate View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pro Libertate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2021 at 11:47pm
Good call on checking the "nubs". I discovered one of the surplus GI mags I ordered from Midway had been sheared almost completely off-- darn thing sliced my finger as I was handling it. Bodily hazards aside, that could certainly cause feeding issues.
Eric
NRA Life Member
NRA-Certified RSO
Project Appleseed “Rifleman”

When asked by the wife, "Just how many guns do you need?" the answer is always, "Just one more, honey... just one more!"
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2021 at 11:54pm
My experience with the Korean surplus has been positive. Most all of the stripper clips seem to load into the clips pretty smoothly. I did have to manually load probably 4-5 out of the ~1k rounds I have shop in the past year or so. I didn’t really pay close attention to why- but will check going forward as this is my standard ammo.

APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2021 at 8:26pm
Thanks for the replies and ideas.  I will double check the magazines.  Just very strange.  Never have had a problem with the mags I was using though, and I have been using them for a while.  As far as the ammo, this is the first of the Korean surplus I have used.  3 duds in the bandolier.  Otherwise it was fine.  Held good groups and was good with my zero.
LT
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2021 at 8:13am
Originally posted by APD642 APD642 wrote:

3 duds in the bandolier.

Wow, I think this is the first report I've heard of duds. Good primer strikes? I had one can of 84 where I experienced a few blown primers and some that backed out slightly. Otherwise, of the years/lots I've sampled it's been great. What year/lot number was this?
APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 7:52pm
Looked at each of them and all had good strikes.  Was surprised myself.  Will be interest to see how the rest perform.  Do not know year and lot.  These were bought by the bandolier.  They did not have entire cans at the time.  But, the ammo looks good and relatively bright and clean.  The magazine issue still has me stumped though.  Checked the mags as well as their spring install and all looked good.  Kept track of them so going to do some experimenting with hand loading them and using strppers to see what happens next time.
LT
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 8:11pm

Do not know year and lot.   
The year of the lot is on the head stamp of the casing. ie PSD 85, PS 80, K1 80
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2021 at 10:29pm
Date/Lot code will be printed on the bandoleer too, bottom line in between the Korean characters.
APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2021 at 5:14am
I will look and post it.
LT
APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 3:24pm
The cartridges are marked PSD 86.  The  number on the bandolier is 86D110-084
LT
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 3:59pm
Thanks for the report of the date/lot code. I have a can of PSD 86 / 86D110-082 but I have not shot any of it yet. My note on the can says bright/shiny/no corrosion. I'm shooting up the tarnished stuff first, then moving from the oldest year up to the newest.
APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 5:22pm
All of mine looked good and did well except for 3 rounds.  No compliants with that really especially given its age, and who knows what conditions it has experienced in that time before SG got ahold of it.  I know I have certainly gotten some miles on me since the eighties.  Heck, I took my daughter to the range earlier this year and picked her up a box of 50 American Eagle 40 SW and it had 3 duds in the box so no grumbling about 3 in a bandolier of eighties surplus from the other side of the world.  The mag jam issue is what bothers me.
LT
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2021 at 7:34pm

The cartridges are marked PSD 86.  The  number on the bandolier is 86D110-084

That would seem to be from the same lot I have.  Only difference might be the storage conditions.
Mine came from LG and were/are still in the original steel ammo can with seal.
So far used 203 rounds with no failures to fire.

Primers can degrade in particularly high heat.  In another life I worked at a company where this was a concern.  Although not specifically this primer, but in general the primers could not be relied upon if they had been subject to continuous temperatures over 100 something deg F.  I dont remember the exact number but I think it was around 120plus, and this was over a period of several weeks.

APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2021 at 7:35pm
Identical to mine.  There is no telling given the age.  I have a few more bandoliers.  As I use it, I will update with lot numbers and performance.  Has anyone tried the 30 cal from Lax?
LT
 Post Reply Post Reply