The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Day at The Range. Commercial mags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Day at The Range. Commercial mags
    Posted: Jul 24 2021 at 7:13pm

Took my "HowaChester to the range today. I swapped stocks on it and wanted to test a couple new KCI mags with M1 followers.

150 rounds at 50 yards, 75 per bench resting. I had 1 FTE on the KCI mag the 1st 10 round test then that mag ran 120 rounds 10 and 15 rounds like a top. I figure stiff spring.

Never did test the 2nd mag Big smile

I also ran 150 rounds through a AR and 50 rounds through my Beretta 92 Inox, I felt like a shooters Jeff Bezo's today Big smile

Edited by New2brass - Jul 26 2021 at 10:53am
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2021 at 9:18pm
Don,
Are the KCI mags the same as Donnie and I bought that came in the paper wrappers and pictured here?
The magazines themselves are stamped with a U.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Don,
Are the KCI mags the same as Donnie and I bought that came in the paper wrappers and pictured here?
The magazines themselves are stamped with a U.

They were paper wrapped like that/ I just checked 4 of them (I have 15 still in the paper wrap). 2 have M2 style followers, 2 M1 style. I got them from Outdoor Limited

Of the 5 I opened that were paper wrapped 4 are marked "U", and 1 "RO". The RO has a M2 follower and 2 of the U marked ones have that also, the other 2 have M1 style followers

The rest of my KCI mags I got from AIM Surplus, they always came in plastic bags and had the M2 style follower. I've got 15-20 of those, most still in the plastic  
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2021 at 10:39pm
Don, so one of your KCI mags is marked "RO"? Can you post a pic of that one?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 12:02am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Here youse goes

Not sure which wrapper it came out of, I just opened both of those tonight to check the followers when I saw that post about the paper wrapped ones having a M2 style follower.

All my other KCI have the U markings, and all the ones in plastic bags have the M2 style follower. That's why I ordered the Outdoorlimited batch, those were supposed to have the M1 style and so far all the ones I had opened and used the past few range trips had the M1 follower.

Go figure
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 7:58am
I can't speak for Donnie but the seller of the paper wrapped ones I bought did not name them as KCI.  I wonder if KCI is not a manufacturer with its own facilities.   I traded for a couple of M1 followers and then bought some from Numrich or Sarco so now all of mine are M1 type.   So far they have run flawlessly but I haven't loaded them with more than 7 rounds.   I really appreciate that you gave them a full workout.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

I can't speak for Donnie but the seller of the paper wrapped ones I bought did not name them as KCI.  I wonder if KCI is not a manufacturer with its own facilities.   I traded for a couple of M1 followers and then bought some from Numrich or Sarco so now all of mine are M1 type.   So far they have run flawlessly but I haven't loaded them with more than 7 rounds.   I really appreciate that you gave them a full workout.

I normally load 5-10 rounds in a Carbine mag when I shoot but always run a couple 15 round tests to see if I'll have problems with these KCI mags. 

I'd read where the ones with the M1 follower didn't FTE on the last round and when someone told me those outdoor limited mags had that I ordered some but only opened a couple up to use as shooter mags.

The only reason I "loaded" up on so many was our current potato head "president" is a gun banner and I figure better get some while I can. I figure 40 some in the wrap plus 15-20 shooting mags will do me for awhile LOL  
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

hey Wayne, I recently took snapshots of a 30 round magazine that was auctioned off on eBay marked RO but on the 30 it was R-O . I had never seen that marking before on a 30, especially since it had USGI cuts on the split back. Do you think there could be a connection of it being Korean as well?

Edited by New2brass - Jul 25 2021 at 7:07pm
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 4:39pm
I have the snapshot pics but haven't learned how to upload pictures to this forum yet but if anyone is interested in seeing them, I can easily email them to you. I just thought it was so odd and I had never seen or heard of that before so I just remembered keeping the snap shots to it and then reading this thread joggled my memory

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6484/Mag30rR-Ob.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6484/Mag30rR-Oa.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6484/Mag30Rr-o.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Jul 25 2021 at 7:21pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 6:16pm

I first saw these 2 years ago at a gun show. Seller claimed USGI and would not let me take a photo.

Check out this listing!

Since I have seen the 30 rounder with small and large RO markings

Same seller now has these Maybe Rockola made for Winchester? LOLClown

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 6:28pm
Here is the 30rd mag Jond41403 was talking about.

Edited by W5USMC - Dec 29 2021 at 11:52pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 6:38pm
Sold for $158....... LOL
The ones sold back on May 30 more like it for $35
2 current listings by this seller, 2 would cost in the low $40.00's

I remember walking away from gun show sellers when they starting wanting $15 a piece.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 6:56pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 7:30pm
Nice, listed in WW2 original period items, However in the description lists some of the items as reproduction.

I wonder it the TB is a copy of the CMP modified TB?

Edited by New2brass - Jul 25 2021 at 8:31pm
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Nice, listed in WW2 original period items, However in the description lists some of the items as reproduction.

I wonder it the TB is a copy of the CMP modified TM?

The TB is a repro.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 9:03pm
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 9:49pm
I had a cerebral flatus and ordered magazines from Gunmagwarehouse.com. They came in clear plastic bags with the BHO (M2?) follower, which in my opinion are a worthless the proverbial mammary glands on a boar hog. Re-ordered 5 from Outdoor Limited and they arrived in the paper wrapper, four with normal follower and one with a BHO. Strange.
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

I had a cerebral flatus and ordered magazines from Gunmagwarehouse.com. They came in clear plastic bags with the BHO (M2?) follower, which in my opinion are a worthless the proverbial mammary glands on a boar hog. Re-ordered 5 from Outdoor Limited and they arrived in the paper wrapper, four with normal follower and one with a BHO. Strange.
I'm with you on the BHO followers, I just have no use for them and use the regular M1 followers in all my 30's that I shoot through. I don't own any of the Korean magazines though and have no experience with them
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

I'm like you, I prefer the M1 style follower mainly because it's less wear on the bolt. The ones I was using as range mags with the M2 follower worked ok as long as you don't load 15 rounds in them.

I might cruise AIM Surplus next Saturday if I get time and order 5 more 15 rounders from them just to see what I get. It's strange Outdoor Limited did the same with your order as mine, mixed followers. I've still got 10 in paper wrappers I haven't opened yet but figure leave them be.

I'd love to find some M1 followers I could swap out all the ones I have with the M2 one but it doesn't look like anyone has any in stock. I figure their stash mags anyway, if they ever do get used it's Zombieland/SHTF time anyway and odds are I'll be using my SHTF AR anyway (gasp, the horror Big smile )
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2021 at 11:32pm
@DonFlynn,
My apologies if I dragged your topic off in to the weeds. It wasn't my intention.
I do appreciate your review of the Korean mags.
The description of your shoot and how they worked for you is helpful.
Even to those of us who don't own them. 
Looks like your 'HowaChester' was printing well.

What ammo did you use today ?

Thx Don,
Charlie-P777

PS: I see a Painting project in your future Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>