FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ammunition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ammunition
    Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 12:35pm
Hornady 86-grain SP/RN 30 Mauser #3100G.

Privi Partizan loaded with this style is quite common.

For 85-grain bullet, Hodgdon has a start of 16.5 and max of 17.5 grains H110. I load W296 the same way. 16.5 chronos around 2400-2450.
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

First off...35Whelen builds some beautiful ammo and I don't suggest anything taking away from that....I wish I had his patience.

As an alternative to rolling-your-own hollow points, I just wanted to show what I am loading and shooting with very good results. The weight of any spec. 30-carbine 110-grain FMJ projectile filed, cut or drilled is going to reduce the weight and likely down close to 100-grains or less. These are 85 to 90-grain .308 Mauser projectiles for which Hodgdon publishes carbine load data for. They are FAST, safe and will open-up any armadillo-sized varmint. Projectiles are starting to drop back toward affordable prices and maybe taking this option can be more time-saving and cost effective as opposed to altering a FMJ bullet. The base is completely jacketed and speeds above 2,000fps are not going to present a leading issue. Profiles other than flat-nose HP's will reliably feed.

Good Lord...you're not taking anything away from what I do. I'm here to learn and thoroughly enjoy these posts detailing others ideas and experiences!! 

Those look like some wickedly explosive little bullets. What brand is the lead round nose? I don't think I've ever seen it.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 12:14pm
First off...35Whelen builds some beautiful ammo and I don't suggest anything taking away from that....I wish I had his patience.

As an alternative to rolling-your-own hollow points, I just wanted to show what I am loading and shooting with very good results. The weight of any spec. 30-carbine 110-grain FMJ projectile filed, cut or drilled is going to reduce the weight and likely down close to 100-grains or less. These are 85 to 90-grain .308 Mauser projectiles for which Hodgdon publishes carbine load data for. They are FAST, safe and will open-up any armadillo-sized varmint. Projectiles are starting to drop back toward affordable prices and maybe taking this option can be more time-saving and cost effective as opposed to altering a FMJ bullet. The base is completely jacketed and speeds above 2,000fps are not going to present a leading issue. Profiles other than flat-nose HP's will reliably feed.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2021 at 9:06am
I'm glad you mentioned twistig on magazine feed lips. That could be a REAL problem. I think I'l not make the saw cuts as mentioned. Thanks.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 3:47pm
A little light for heavy work but I load 85 and 86 grain .308 Mauser bullets in soft-point or hollow-point profiles. You can find published recipes, one I use is 16.5 grains H110 or W296 for a MV of around 2400. 

If you have any feeding issues, a black polymer Universal/Iver Johnson mag will feed anything. It’s a single-stack and places the bullet right in front of the chamber. Can’t do anything but poke in. Capacity is only 4-rounds, which is usually legal and plenty for hunting. I know….the word Universal is distasteful to most, but it works on flat-nose projectiles and beats grinding up feed-ramps or twisting on magazine feed-lips. 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

This one was given to me by my son so I can't say.
After studying the differant styles of HPs, I'm going to make a gig to, with precision, make very fine cuts with an exacto saw after boring the hole.
I started out in my  teens reloading 30 30s for my Winchester with good results except for slight lead fouling.
Compaird to todays prices, it made no sence.
When I fill a 15 round mag, I will go to the NRA range to see how acucurate they are.
My 70 odd year old lady can put them in a 4" group at 50 yards so I am anxous to see what she can do with my home made HPs.

It may work, who knows? My case trimmer can be used to HP bullets in loaded cartridges, I may try it myself and shoot some into water jugs.

The bullets pictured above, and all but one type of cast bullet I cast and load, are of the gas check variety. I have run them all the way up to 2000 fps without leading. Typical velocity however is a little over 1900 fps.

If a fella wanted some HP loads without loading from scratch, he could buy some of the Speer 110 gr. HP component bullets, pull the FMJ's from loaded rounds, then seat the HP's in their place. I've loaded and fired quite a few of these and they're quite accurate. I had the occasion to dispatch a possum in the chicken coop, made quite a mess.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2021 at 8:34am
This one was given to me by my son so I can't say.
After studying the differant styles of HPs, I'm going to make a gig to, with precision, make very fine cuts with an exacto saw after boring the hole.
I started out in my  teens reloading 30 30s for my Winchester with good results except for slight lead fouling.
Compaird to todays prices, it made no sence.
When I fill a 15 round mag, I will go to the NRA range to see how acucurate they are.
My 70 odd year old lady can put them in a 4" group at 50 yards so I am anxous to see what she can do with my home made HPs.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2021 at 4:36pm
Did they test these HP's made from FMJ's? Expanding bullets are designed with the jacket the thinnest at the nose of the bullet. FMJ's, being as they are designed to penetrate and are formed by a lead core inserted from the rear of the bullets, have jackets that are thicker at the front.

I make my own HP's Wink-

Regardless, I'd like to see the article. Is the publication in question available at book stores?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2021 at 4:01pm
I am gathering the nessary meterals to transform some FMJs to HPs and will let you know how it goes if you like.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

ranzuly View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranzuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2021 at 1:10pm
The latest one i have is volume #26, i will have to get #28, Thank you for info and reply, Randy
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2021 at 8:46pm
Volume # 28 page 84. Hard Tmes Hollowpoints 
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

ranzuly View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranzuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2021 at 8:10pm
Which volume number are you referring to ?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2021 at 1:47pm
For those of you who do some hunting using HP ammo, you should pick up a copy of DIY GUNS.
There is an artical showing how to make your own HP ammo saving a ton of money.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply