The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from West Georgia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member from West Georgia
    Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 10:42pm
New member from Carrollton GA about a hour west of Atlanta. 

Have a few WWII items, but not what you would call a collector (unless we count my S&W revolvers). Got an M-1 Garand and a Remington Rand 1911, but picked up my first Carbine this week. 

Nice but worn early Winchester M1 from the Midway sale, serial number 11530xx, best guess is mid-43 based on production number, but only a guess, appreciate any info you might have. look like it’s mostly Winchester, the barrel, receiver, hand guard, hammer, and several other parts. The lower stock looks like a Q-RMC which I believe is a Quality Hardware for Rockola, and an IBM Type 3 rear sight. 

I downloaded and am working on a data sheet but haven’t stripped it down yet. Figure to do that when the new Wolff spring set arrives. 

Glad to be on your forum, a true wealth of information for us new to this beautiful rifle. 
Danny Fowler, NCCS, USN (Retired)
NRA Life Member

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 9:06am
Welcome. Sounds like you're seeing a marking of IRco on your rear sight? It's not IBM.
The stock sounds like you have it figured out.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 9:26am
welcome. Did you post this on Facebook, I think I remember seeing it there but can’t remember which group it was in 
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 10:08am
Thanks, the rear has I.R.C.O. with 7160060 underneath that on the right side, by Craig’s book that appears to be an IBM, or am I misreading that?
NRA Life Member

NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 10:09am
No sir, wasn’t me on FB.
NRA Life Member

Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 10:12am
someone with a similar S/N posted one then 
NavySCPO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySCPO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Welcome. Sounds like you're seeing a marking of IRco on your rear sight? It's not IBM.
The stock sounds like you have it figured out.

Sorry, realized I should’ve have hit the quote button to respond correctly.

BTW I’m an East Tennessee Boy myself, born and raised in the big city of Ducktown many, many moons ago.
NRA Life Member

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by NavySCPO NavySCPO wrote:

Thanks, the rear has I.R.C.O. with 7160060 underneath that on the right side, by Craig’s book that appears to be an IBM, or am I misreading that?

The International Register type 3 sights were a generic part, not specific to IBM. Some original late IBMs can have that sight.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 2:28pm
I.R. CO. type 3 sights were also used on a multitude of rebuilt and upgraded carbines. You can find them on any carbine.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2021 at 4:40pm
Yes, not an IBM sight. They were used on very late IBM.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply