Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Midway G-VG Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midway G-VG Winchester
    Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 7:16pm
So I ended up buying one of these carbines from Midway, I am a gambler and am not at all bothered by import marks and actually have a long term goal of trying to get a carbine from every importer. 
I ended up buying a Good to Very Good Winchester. 
I received a spring tube 1.09 Winchester in great condition, no rust but covered in grease, it is in a high wood type II Winchester stock with a decent WRA/GHD and CC.
The majority of the parts are Winchester, some are a bit later than they should be.
Has a type 3 W marked TH, W dogleg hammer, 22 coil hammer spring, W sear, type 1 sear spring, RHI trigger, type 3 unmarked safety, plain faced W marked mag catch. 
Bolt is a W flat bolt, W firing pin, IB extractor.
W marked E279 slide with early slide stop.
The rear sight is a stamped IRCO/7160060 and is actually missing the peep aperture, no stake marks on the receiver. 
Front sight is marked with an L on the right side. Thumbnail on top. 
Unmarked type 1 barrel band
More pictures coming soon.

Edited by W5USMC - Jun 12 2021 at 1:10am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 7:26pm
Interesting guns. Really hope more people post pics. I noticed so far that lots of people don't know what is important on Carbines. That's ok with me.

But your description says no staking on receiver.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 8:17pm
Yes should maybe should have said light staking, as in the rear sight was not really held by the staking at all, it was hanging off the right side by at least 1/8 inch and pushed off with thumb pressure. These marks are much lighter than some of the craters I have seen.

Edited by W5USMC - Jun 22 2021 at 12:22pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2021 at 8:19pm
Better pic doesn't look as deep as the other, no.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 8:39am
Not too many posts that I've seen on these so far, but this is the 3rd or 4th spring tube Winchester.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 12:38pm
Nice score.  Thanks for posting.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 3:29pm
Got this thing all cleaned up, data sheet completed and put back together. Couple things, the overall finish is very dark as in black, so I assume this was refinished somewhere. The nice HW Winchester stock actually has a large Dutchman Patch on the fore-end which sticks up enough in the slide well to bind with the slide when it is moving forward (pictures below). Condition wise, I think I made out, muzzle is less that 2, headspace is fine. Much better than any of the RTI carbines that I have seen. 

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 3:58pm
I'm glad an experienced collector got one to evaluate. They bulk of these looks like they weren't stored near the goat pens.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 4:39pm
I think one of the coolest things is a properly installed patch. Done right, it reminds me of a finely inlaid antique coffee-table.
terry_tr6 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry_tr6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 9:33pm
add another spring tube winchester to the midway list.  SN 1.15 and it appears to be almost all correct winchester for that age except the trigger housing( Inland with a brownish finish).  hand guard is early 2 rivet and square front cut correct for early winchester.  Stock is really clean low wood with what appears to be the outline of a cartouche but it is very faint.  metal has very much 99% parkerizing and very sharp lettering and clean right bore.  M2 round says the muzzle is a 1 or 2.  it was a G/VG and i breathed a sigh of relief after seeing some other grades at my FFL
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 9:36pm
Early Win hand guards are called "bull-nose".
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 11:13pm
Great looking Winchester.  I hope some of the others on the forum can talk you into completing a day at sheet for it so that it can be preserved into the archives with many other fins carbines.  Haha.  

Pretty unique goal you have of collecting every importer.  Don’t think I’ve heard of the importer collection.  

Thanks for sharing
 Post Reply Post Reply