Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

List of Carbine Books and Manuals in Collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of Carbine Books and Manuals in Collection
    Posted: Jun 04 2021 at 3:44pm
Carbine Club Members,

Some here may know that I'm an enthusiast of firearm related paper items, whether they be books, or military manuals. There are a few firearms for which I have tried to collect as many associated books and manuals as possible. The M1 and M2 Carbines are in that category. Below is a list of the Carbine related books and manuals that I have in my collection. 20 books, 49 manuals. Maybe I missed one or two...

Many of the manuals have not been previously documented, and I believe may be of interest to others to potentially use in research. While I'm not a library, if you are conducting original research, and have a specific request about the content of particular manuals below, I will attempt to help you as possible.

I've commented on each item as to content, but my comments are only glimpses into what is there. Some of the book comments are opinions. The manual comments are intended to be purely factual. I include the book listing because some of them are not listed on the club book listing, but may be of interest.

I find it useful to list manuals, dates, and page totals on a timeline, as it highlights how information grew through the years, and sometimes how disinformation was disseminated. I've written here previously about how flip sights were pictured backwards in some various U.S. Military manuals, and if you've ever thought someone was crazy to tell you that a Carbine was nothing more than a miniature Garand, well that was stated in a USMC M2 Carbine manual from 1952. Some of the information below may prompt further questions, such as why the Army still needed to document 7 different types of .30 Carbine cartridges in its inventory in 1984, or why a Kerr sling was listed as an accessory for the Carbine in 1955.

In any case, I hope that the information below may prove helpful to someone. Any comments are appreciated, and if the club wants to pin this somewhere, that's fine, too. I could also provide the file in Excel or Numbers format.

If you like this post, I hope you will hit the "Thanks!" button for me...

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 7:59pm
David. Thank you very much for sharing this.   Your list adds a level of clarity to the timeline for documents and the type of information within document. 

One clarification it provided for me was that the FM23-7 reprint I purchased is incomplete.  Your 23 April 1944 edition has 209 pages and the one I bought has 57 pages.     I thought that was odd since the pdf of the 20 May 1942 version is 140 pages and includes and index.    Many of the areas that would have reflected changes are not in the reprint.   :(
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 8:20pm
@ Matt_X, are you sure yours isn't the TB, that would be a lot of pages missing from an FM.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 8:21pm
Hi Matt,

I'm glad you found value in the list.

Many of the repro manuals cut out various content included in originals.

There are also some cover changes that happened with different printings, which I didn't document in the list.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

@ Matt_X, are you sure yours isn't the TB, that would be a lot of pages missing from an FM.

I'm not familiar with the TBs.

Top of the cover is TM-114
second line in outline FM 23-7
WAR DEPARTMENT BASIC FIELD MANUAL

I think its an abridged version.  It  was $7 from Numrich.  So its not the money, its that the information I wanted wasn't there and I didn't know why. 
Some of the things I've been interested in are the known distance targets, and training procedures  which I know are in the earlier version.  But was also curious if there was other info added or changed related to handling (tactical) or logistics (such as use PL-S in subfreezing temps or rifle grease in prep for exposure salt spray situations).
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2021 at 5:51pm
I went through my collection again, and realized that I had 13 more manuals or publications associated with the Carbine, so I have expanded the list to a total of 82 resources, with 20 books, and 62 manuals. I have highlighted the 13 additions in yellow.

Based on the original post, I received one very good inquiry from Matt_X, seeking particular information relevant to his area of Carbine study. I can field other inquiries as time allows.

Here is the revised list, which again, I can make available in Excel or Numbers, if you email me privately at the email address listed at the end of this post.

I hope you find this list useful. I think it's an important exercise to put these in chronological order, to aid in better understanding history, and changes that occurred with the weapon during service.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2021 at 9:49pm
David, thank you for making this list. I am sure you invested a great deal of time and effort to organize it. Thumbs Up
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2021 at 9:12pm
Just when I thought I was done, I found 5 more manuals related to the Carbine in my collection. This takes the total to 87 publications, including 20 books, and 67 manuals.

The new items are highlighted in light blue.

There could be some other manuals lurking in the collection, but I think I've been through everything now.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2021 at 11:43am
Thank you again.
Incredibly useful research tool to have such an annoted list.

One evening I'll follow up on rifle and carbine qualification and targets for the different services from the beginning of WW2 through the end of the M1 era.
There is good thread at CMP on the subject even though it wanders OT at times.
Before asking you to look at stuff I want to organize what is asserted, and where there are holes in the documentation.  
I think that might make a nice post here about qualification on the carbine.

Matt
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2021 at 9:07pm
Thanks, Matt. I will be happy to check my archives for you when you are ready.

For the CMP thread, I have all the manuals needed to close any gaps, if there is something specific to a particular timeframe that needs resolution. They include manuals for the M1911, M1917 Pistol, M1903, M1917, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Thompson SMG, M3 Submachine Gun, M14, M16, BAR, M1919A4, M1919A6, M37, M60, ANM2, M2HB, etc. that cover the full service life of the weapons.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2021 at 9:44pm
Wow, great listing - I was going to say, I think I have four books on carbines ! :D
Edward Tinker
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I / Vol II and Vol III
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 5:30pm
I only have 9 or 10.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2021 at 9:37pm
For the record, I have a different copy of The BlueJackets' Manual and clearly some differences in the editions.

The Bluejackets' Manual 1944
12th edition
United States Naval Institute
Annapolis Md. 1944

In the introduction to this edition, dated April 1944, it states that "extensive overtechnical material has been removed," and the whole reorganized.  This edition is only 585 pages.

The chapter on small arms cover field stripping and shooting with sling for the 1903 Springfield.
There are two short paragraphs and one photo for the Garand, and two short paragraphs (no photo) on the M1 carbine.  
There are three pages on the Colt .45 including one on sight alignment for pistol and revolver.
---

Off topic but  may interest some is this one has a chemical warfare summary stapled to the end page.  Its clearly something the owner did, as the cover fold of this insert can't be read (stapled face to the book page.  When open it summarizes the four types of chemical weapons and what to do.  On the back fold says of this insert is   STATION PRINT SHOP CAMP PEARY VA.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

For the record, I have a different copy of The BlueJackets' Manual and clearly some differences in the editions.

The Bluejackets' Manual 1944
12th edition
United States Naval Institute
Annapolis Md. 1944

In the introduction to this edition, dated April 1944, it states that "extensive overtechnical material has been removed," and the whole reorganized.  This edition is only 585 pages.

The chapter on small arms cover field stripping and shooting with sling for the 1903 Springfield.
There are two short paragraphs and one photo for the Garand, and two short paragraphs (no photo) on the M1 carbine.  
There are three pages on the Colt .45 including one on sight alignment for pistol and revolver.
---

Off topic but  may interest some is this one has a chemical warfare
summary stapled to the end page.  Its clearly something the owner did, as
the cover fold of this insert can't be read (stapled face to the book page.  When open it
summarizes the four types of chemical weapons and what to do.  On the
back fold says of this insert is   <font size="2" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">STATION PRINT SHOP CAMP PEARY VA.

Hi Matt_X,

Thank you for the info. As far as the chemical warfare content, it's always fun to find notes and other course content that was folded inside, stapled onto, or paper clipped to manuals long ago by the original user. I have many examples in my collection. They are like little time capsules that provide glimpses into what it was like to prepare for service. I have several examples of base prepared tests on various subjects that were found inside manuals, which I find particularly interesting, as they point to what was thought at the time to be the most important takeaways from military lessons. (Or maybe just checking to see if the student listened)

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2022 at 3:29pm
I added 4 items to the Carbine Book and Manual list, which now includes 21 books, and 70 manuals related to the Carbine.

Enjoy!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply