The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Florida Panhandle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlingriffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Florida Panhandle
    Posted: May 26 2021 at 2:23pm
Hello all and thank you for letting me join!  My M1"s currently are an Underwood 2,585,xxx that I just picked up and an Auto Ordnance that I have had zero issues with.
I'll post pics of the babies tomorrow.  I am looking forward to digging through the forums and all of the knowledge in here.
Jason
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 3:09pm
welcome from NC- can’t wait to see the pics
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 4:08pm
Welcome. I have a daughter and grand-brats in Pensacola.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 8:49pm
Welcome to the nut house!

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Howlingriffon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlingriffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 8:55am
Here's a few of her as is when I got her and after a cleaning.  There is also a pic of an unknown hole in the trigger housing running front to back.  

Jason
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 10:15am
Hey Griff,
Seems I've seen this one before.
Welcome over...

A Bunch of your pictures are here:

I think the only reason someone would have drilled that hole thru the trigger guard loop was to recover a plunger tip that pulled free from the Safety to Mag catch Spring.
Like I posted before, I've never seen that before.

Charlie-P777

Edited by painter777 - May 27 2021 at 10:46am
Living Free because of those that serve.....
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 4:40pm
That serial number places that UEF as having the receiver manufactured by the subcontractor, United Shoe Machinery Corp.  The rear bevel is pretty worn, but I see what may be what is remaining of the small “S” that was stamped there.  It could also be a residual of the bomb/ordnance stamp.  Even when they are not very worn, it is often hard to distinguish the small “S” stamp from the ordnance stamp.

United Shoe produced the least amount of Underwood subcontracted receivers.
Chad
USN Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlingriffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 5:37pm
Very good eye!  It does look like the top of an S. I can only make out the top of the P proof on the barrel and very light OOD, no sign of date.  This poor girl was risen hard. I’ll try to get a better photo. 
Jason
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 6:25pm
Jason,

As a data point, is the barrel on it still a UEF barrel?  If so, what is the date?  The trend I have down for that range are mostly 11 and 12 of 43.  There are a couple outliers proximate to then, which may very well be original as UEF was really having to scramble and there was not an absolute rhyme or reason at the time of the subcontractor receipts. Just keeping track of the trends.

Thanks
Chad
Chad
USN Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlingriffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 7:48am
Unfortunately, all that I can make out on the barrel is the top of the P proof and "OOD" but no date or bomb at all :(

Jason
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 9:01am
Nope...can’t tell that one.

Thanks for looking, though. 
Chad
USN Retired
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 11:20pm
Barrel doesn't show the usual lathe marks of an Underwood barrel.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 9:00am
Hmm, I do not know if it was here or another thread on the MEREX marking and the CIA?

Mertins Export was located in Germany and had offices or affiliates in Georgia and Virginia that we know of.
One of those US based offices was run by someone who was supposedly ex CIA.
With that there may be some internet rumors tied to Mertins

First, they were exporting from Germany with the source of where they got them from unknown, But they were considered Imports into the USA.
The Import marks are a result of the 1968 GCA.  Why would weapons being exported from the USA need to be marked?
Second, if they were going to the CIA I do not think we would be able to find any information on anything they touched.

I have seen several carbines that spent time in wet jungle locations where the barrel and receiver are well worn down from the constant cleaning necessary.
I suspect that under the stock the barrel and receiver are in better shape.

Pictures of the gas chamber area will probably confirm a Underwood barrel

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlingriffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2021 at 8:27am
Yep, definite wear patterns...

Jason
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2021 at 6:22pm
OK, lathe marks are toward the rear, so definitely Underwood. But why would somebody polish the forward part of the barrel and refinish it????
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I have seen several carbines that spent time in wet jungle locations where the barrel and receiver are well worn down from the constant cleaning necessary.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2021 at 9:49am
That would have taken a lot of serious cleaning I think. Maybe someone did smooth it out. I have one that was slightly abused to remove a makers mark, for what reason who knows. However, I have a good friend with a lathe that turned the lines back on the front half of the barrel to match the original pattern. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlingriffon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2021 at 11:36am
Well, she may not be a beauty queen but she shoots good :)

Jason
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

That would have taken a lot of serious cleaning I think. Maybe someone did smooth it out. I have one that was slightly abused to remove a makers mark, for what reason who knows. However, I have a good friend with a lathe that turned the lines back on the front half of the barrel to match the original pattern. 

if in a wet and moist jungle environment it would be easy for the finish to oxidize. once the park (which is a form of oxidization that holds oil) is worn off then if would oxidize faster. As you clean off the oxidization you are removing more surface.

Notice how the worn curves where the barrel was not exposed at the barrel band back. So they were cleaning the exposed surfaces..
 Post Reply Post Reply