Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GI M1 carbine collection rough value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomd1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GI M1 carbine collection rough value
    Posted: May 12 2021 at 10:25pm
My buddy got 7 GI M1 carbines from 6 manufacturers from an estate. 
One Saginaw SG (push button mag/fixed flip sight)
One IBM (serial number indicates #66 produced)
One National Postal meter
One Rock OLA (round bolt/4 rivet/high wood)
One Underwood (round bolt)
Two Winchester (one 2 rivet, one 4 rivet)
All serial numbers indicate 42-44 production. Most are flat bolt, adjustable sight, lever safety, 2 rivet handguards.

Overall appear to be in good condition. Some surface rust and need to be cleaned but not bad. 

I am assuming the Saginaw is the most valuable. Any idea what order the value of these would be and an estimate on approximate value in good condition?

Thanks for the help
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 4:42pm
Nowhere near enough info for an estimate. Could be anywhere from $6000 to $50000. Most likely in the 10-15000 range, but that is just a WAG.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Tomd1911 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomd1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 9:56pm
yeah, really many looking for an idea on what ones are potentially the most valuable. I don’t want to tear all
7 down and inventory ever part.  If the Winchesters are never as valuable than the Saginaw or rock ola, etc then I won’t spend much time on them. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 11:04pm
Each one really needs to be taken on its own merits. For example an original late Winchester is worth more than a mixmaster rebuild Rock-ola. Condition, import marks, fake parts factor in. Maybe one of the mixmasters has a rare part that makes it worth more. You get the idea.
On a real basic level there's not many decent USGI carbines selling for less than 1100-1200 these days.
Tomd1911 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomd1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 7:08am
Ok. Thanks. Is there a good reference site to know what parts are rare? 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 8:09am
Not sure there is a site that has lists with photos. Even if there is there are fake parts listed as real in publications but especially all over online auctions sites. It takes a good while to be able to ID real parts. The only quick way to find out is to post pics. Pics of the stock markings, the full right side of the stock, close ups of flip sights showing where they meet the dove tail on the right side, close ups of the barrel band, barrel markings, each side of the trigger group, markings on the slide and bolt should do.

Stocks with high wood, stock markings that aren't sanded off Dog leg hammers, flips sights, type I bands are on the list of more value, but fakes of all are made.

You don't have to inventory each part.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Tomd1911 Tomd1911 wrote:

One IBM (serial number indicates #66 produced)
A presentation IBM? There was one locally that wouldn't sell here or on GB. It was rusty. I tried to consign an IP with them. When I told them the expected price they couldn't understand why anyone would pay 2500 for an IP when they couldn't sell their IBM for I think it was 3k.

Because every Carbine collector wants an IP but not a rusty IBM presentation? They went out of business a month later.

Quote All serial numbers indicate 42-44 production. Most are flat bolt, adjustable sight, lever safety, 2 rivet handguards.

Most Carbines had a flip sight originally, so some were probably changed.

Quote I am assuming the Saginaw is the most valuable. Any idea what order the value of these would be and an estimate on approximate value in good condition?
Thanks for the help

Rockola sells faster than others.
sirgknight View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2021 at 12:44pm
Rockolas and Winchesters are pretty much neck and neck on auction sites, but there were far less Roclolas manufactured so they definitely bring a premium price.  In today's market a $1000 USGI carbine is just about obsolete, so it has definitely become a sellers market.  Like others have said, there are collectors out there looking for the originality of parts and/or manufacture dates which could inflate the real value of a certain carbine.  It is quite apparent that the original owner of those carbines was trying to have a complete set of all the WWII USGI carbines.  That in itself puts a premium price on any collection.  As for what they are worth?.....basically what someone is willing to pay and that could be a very healthy amount.
314th Air Division
20th Tactical Air Support Sqdn
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
Personal and Up 'Close Air Support'
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 6:16pm
nice collection just sold at Cowan Auctions in cincinnati-it was pretty well a dog from every town so to say--was mix of about 80% obviously restored guns and 20% original-30-40 carbines--never counted-just a wag -I was amazed at what some of brought--was no bargains on anything except maybe the first IBM they sold-were mostly old restorations made with original parts so most guns were parts buys irregardless-seemed to be one nice original gun per mfg for most part. No obvious stake marks--had to look under the leafs. I think all the buyers will be pleased. I bid on 7 guns and bought one.
Tomd1911 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomd1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 6:47pm
Thanks guys. I have been taking them apart and inventorying the main parts. Not done yet, but a couple highlights, the Saginaw appears to be all original except for the stock. One of the Winchesters is a spring tube receiver. Only the Underwood has import markings. The IBM is in good condition. Has a rock ola trigger housing. They are all in pretty good condition. One Winchester has a Winchester stock also. I can post more information when I get them all done.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

nice collection just sold at Cowan Auctions in cincinnati-it was pretty well a dog from every town so to say--was mix of about 80% obviously restored guns and 20% original-30-40 carbines--never counted-just a wag -I was amazed at what some of brought--was no bargains on anything except maybe the first IBM they sold-were mostly old restorations made with original parts so most guns were parts buys irregardless-seemed to be one nice original gun per mfg for most part. No obvious stake marks--had to look under the leafs. I think all the buyers will be pleased. I bid on 7 guns and bought one.

Lot 282 was well bought. Less than the IBM.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 10:51pm
Interesting auction. Good exterior pictures for the most part. Some interesting rifles in there, e.g. 314.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 11:04pm
Love that stock on 314
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 10:55am
I purchased Lot 286 - The inland “X” suffix carbine.  Just delivered on Friday and still need to take it apart and photograph it.
Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
cole44 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 2:24pm
I purchased several from that auction aware of condition/originality and probably paid more than I would have liked for two of them. That said they all appeared to be in very nice condition and items missing from my collection. Restoration can be costly these days so all things considering probably still worth it over the long run IMO. I will not receive them until late next week so I will hold off on making my final analysis until they are in hand :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply