The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hammer not cocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer not cocking
    Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:51am
just bought my first carbine and completely broke it down to get all of the old grease and junk off and get it looking and functioning nice. Everything went back together no problem  when I go to rack it the hammer won’t stay cocked.  If it take it out of the stock and pull back real hard I can the hammer to stay back 30% of the time but never while in the stock.  Did I do something wrong reassembling? Is it the springs.  I have a video for reference 

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:29am
Same issue was just discussed on MILSURPS, check out the below thread for answers.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:31am
check you have the trigger spring in correctly, it looks like the triggers is not reset.
if not take out the trigger sear and sear spring. Assemble out of the housing. Check the sear function. the sear should push back as well as pivot
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 12:08pm
I think Dan's right. Tip on easy assembly, cut a Q-tip the width of the trigger, that allows you to assemble the trigger, sear spring, and sear outside of the housing. Then just push the Q-tip out with the trigger pin. Insert the trigger spring at 90 degrees and over the shelf at the top rear of the trigger, rotate 90 degrees into place.
Mmr61184 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 1:01pm
that trigger spring is a pain in the ass to get in think that was the hardest pet of reassembly.  Is it possible I messed it up squeezing it back into that hole 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 1:20pm
@ Mmr, if you do not have the trigger spring tool you can use an empty carbine bullet casing, spring is inserted through the hole in the back of the housing.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 1:21pm
If you don't have the GI trigger spring tool a bic pen body will work.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 1:32pm
Must be a dozen ways to do it.  I pull it thru with dental floss or a small tie-wrap. All of them work, but the trick is to get the foot to sit in the notch on the trigger.
Mmr61184 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 2:01pm
oh sh*t goes in the back. Oops 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 2:41pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 4:57pm
Here is JimF's pics and tutorial on how to make a pin to put the sear, sear spring and trigger together outside the housing.

I made my pin from a cut down finish nail.

"Trigger and sear/spring. Make a small pin the width of the trigger. Assemble the trigger sear and spring outside the housing using the shorter pin. Drop it in the housing, line up the hole and push the normal pin into place. Done deal, a minute or two and no jammed fingers."

Video link to fellow member Norowich93cmp Youtube videos. See his full playlist for many M1 Carbine 'How To'  

HTH,
Ch-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Mmr61184 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 10:56pm
Is it because the spring coil is bent ? 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:02pm
Probably,
You could try bending it back in place, install and see it hammer cocks.
But order a new one.

Ebay or Gunbroker will have them.
Could even run a WTB here on the Forum.

Ch-P777
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:05pm
Looks like one leg of the spring is broken.
Mmr61184 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2021 at 11:12pm
yeah I took it apart 4 times.  Is it worth ordering a new sear too?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Mmr61184 Mmr61184 wrote:

yeah I took it apart 4 times.  Is it worth ordering a new sear too?

Sears are pretty durable. Unless you see some physical damage or wear probably not. You can post some pictures for opinions.
Mmr61184 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 7:57pm
took everything apart again the seat is definitely not worn at least from what I see.  I ordered a new trigger spring and hammer spring but didn’t get a new sear spring yet.  Seems really strange, I am by no means an expert but would never guess the trigger spring would create this problem 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 8:03pm
Without the second arm, it doesn't have the strength to reset the trigger. That is where the problem is.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Mmr61184 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mmr61184 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Without the second arm, it doesn't have the strength to reset the trigger. That is where the problem is.

If it is a simple as that I will be so happy
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 9:42pm
See this video and compare to your Sear's movement:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>