The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety issues with 1960s Ermas M1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety issues with 1960s Ermas M1
    Posted: Apr 29 2021 at 9:17am
I've had an early '60s Erma's Firearms (Steelville MO) since I was a kid.

According to this article:
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ermas2.html
the steel of the receiver on my Carbine was never hardened properly. Everyone I talk with says, yes this is dangerous and I should not use the gun.

I would like to avoid replacing the gun.

Does anyone know where I can have it repaired? Hardening the steel doesn't seem to be realistic. Can the receiver be replaced?

If replacing the gun is the only option, does anyone recommend a reputable dealer?

Thanks all.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2021 at 4:35pm
These are not encouraging words to hear, but you might invest a lot more in the carbine than it will ever be worth. Receiver costs run $375-$400 and that’s just the material cost. Finding someone to heat treat is going to be another costly proposition and who knows if they will do it right. The steel is even different and we don’t know exactly what parts are in the gun that might increase it’s value.

I have surely been guilty of pouring time and money into a commercial carbine trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I understand the sentimental value, but I suggest you retire it and hang it on the wall.

You can place a WTB here on the forum, hit the gun shows and pawn shops for a replacement. Be ready to pay $1,000 and up for a good USGI shooter.
ironbill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 2:41pm
Thank you

I was hoping to hear something different from some Carbine experts. Oh well. Off to find a replacement.

Bill I.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2021 at 5:50pm
I wish there was better news I could give you, but it is what it is. Even replacing the receiver would be a crap-shoot. There is one other possibility. Barreled actions do turn up for sale. Won’t know for sure until you open it up, but there is a good possibility that most (if not all) the parts on your carbine will simply swap-over into another barreled action. If you could come up with a USGI barreled action in the $500-$600 range it might be your best economical bet, if you have USGI or compatible components in the subject carbine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply