Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BARRELBAND QUESTION/ NEED MAG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDARMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BARRELBAND QUESTION/ NEED MAG
    Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 11:50am
Thanks for the heads up on posting I'm new to this whole thing also. I recently acquired my friends fathers WWII Inland carbine that he carried as a Seabees in the Pacific. It has a 7-43 barrel code and serial number in the 77#,### range. Its in exceptional shape but I don't know if the barrel band is correct or its just missing the shoulder strap loop. It has a vertical binding screw but no loop and the screw seems to be long for its application without the loop in place but it looks properly patinaed. Its not a bayonet mount version. Also its mag was lost so I'm in need of 1 or 2 vintage mags to complete the firearm. I apologize if I posted this in a improper location I will get the hang of this hopefully! Old dogs are hard to train.

Thanks  MDARMS
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 12:11pm
Welcome to the forum. So it sounds like you have a type I barrel band with the swivel missing which is pretty common. Aftermarket swivels are plentiful which could be used as a place holder until an original was found, originals do show up on ebay every now and then. Magazines are also plentiful on ebay but are getting pricey. What a Country sells USGI mags but expect some surface rust. 

Read about barrel bands in the link below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
MDARMS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDARMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the info Wayne and your service! I'm a retired DOD Civilian after 35 years. I guess what I'm in search of now is the 1/4" Sling loop to add to my barrel band any ideas on that?? I order a pair of mags and pouch from What a Country and didn't see any barrel band parts.

Regards 
  Tim  
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 4:37pm
If you just want a swivel on it Northridge sells a reproduction for $14.95 that could be used until you found a real one. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 5:10pm
Eddy aka seller 81MM on GB has some Seymour Smith & Sons marked SS mags listed for a Buy now @ $33.00 plus shipping. That's a great price for a NOS in the wrap. Currently just 1 listed but I believe if you ask the seller a question that he has more.

I recently contacted him so he'd know these were WWII Era Misc mags. He had listed them as being for Stan Pro. Said he'd change the description when he got back from visiting the Grandkids.

Swivel,
I recently bought a Northridge replacement swivel to replace a lost KV-S'G'. It'll work fine, but still upset over a friend loosing the Swivel and screw somewhere in the snow banks at the range.

I know fellow member 1258Combatengineer here has a UI swivel he was wanting to trade for a KV-B for his recent IBM purchase.

Anyone interested in a UI for KV-B Swivel can find him here: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=6334
Living Free because of those that serve.....
MDARMS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDARMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 10:12am
Thanks for all the info from everyone!! I ordered the pair of mags and pouch from What a Country and a single from J&G (over priced but wrapped in cosmoline paper) worried about condition from both but we'll see. Also ordered the sling loop. Found a vintage WW11 sling for 90 and Korean war erra for 15. Is there a real difference between the 2? I want to keep it as original as possible. Thanks again for everyones help this has turned into a great forum

Tim  MDARMS
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 12:37pm
"Found a vintage WW11 sling for 90 and Korean war erra for 15."

WWII C tip sling
Post WWII D tip sling

Be aware there are many Fake C tip slings out there.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
MDARMS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDARMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 12:54pm
81mm has a c tipped sling listed messaged him on whether he had additional mag and the sling  repo or is it vintage. Waiting on a response. Figure I'll keep the best 3 mags that I get now that i already bought 3 and sell the extras
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 1:41pm
The c tip he currently has listed is reproduction.
"You are bidding on one new production C-tip sling and one new USGI oiler marked IS from WWII"
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
MDARMS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDARMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 5:30pm
I guess it helps paying attention when your on the search didn't remember seeing repro on the item! What a Country can't ship the mags to me also due to capacity issues in my lovely state of MD. Thanks for the mentoring you would think I was old enough to know better? 
MDARMS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDARMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2021 at 9:17am
Buying 3 mags from 81mm! Now all i have to find is a Type1 barrel band assembly or just the sling swivel and screw. The screw i have is not cut the same way as i've seen listed but it is a patinaed flat head screw. Thanks again Wayne! Do you have a go to site that you use for vintage parts?
ranzuly View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranzuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2021 at 10:49am
In October, 2020 I purchased from " nenel3 " from Aussois, France on eBay a "M1 Carbine, Front Band Screw, U.S."  it came from a package with the markings _ala Manufacturing Co. Cleveland, Ohio, Revised 7/27/49 and packed in January 1951, i pd $9.95 shipped, came in about 3 weeks, I have purchased other parts from him with no problems, Good Luck, Randy
 Post Reply Post Reply