Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My M1A1 Inland Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My M1A1 Inland Carbine
    Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 4:16pm
It's show and tell time.  I have posted photos of two of my other M1 carbines, this is my third of four in my collection.  This is an early M1A1 Inland Carbine.  I believe the serial number on the receiver, along with the barrel date, are within the margin of when this carbine was produced.  I acquired this carbine about 15 years ago at a local military show.  While setting up my table, I went back to my truck to get more items and I came upon two gentlemen about to go in.  I had to wait my turn to speak to them because another dealer was talking to one of them.  As the dealer handed the carbine back to the owner, he nonchalantly said "well, you know where my table is, come and see me there" and walked away. 

It was at that point that I approached the gentlemen and I too started a conversation with them.  As I was looking at the carbine, my hands began to sweat and my mouth got a wee bit dry.  In my mind, I'm thinking this looks like a correct M1A1.  I asked him how much he was asking for the carbine and he said he wasn't sure.  The gentleman he was with said "well I do know these models do bring good money at auction".  As I looked up at his friend, we both made eye contact and I realized it was an old friend that I hadn't seen for many years.  We quick made some small talk and returned back to the conversation about the carbine.  Between the three of us, we came upon an agreeable price.  He walked away with cash in hand and I, with this carbine. 

Now in some ways this was a crap shoot because I thought maybe the insides could be all junk, but after I took it apart I didn't believe so.  I will let others on this forum, more knowledgeable than me, give their two cents as to what they think.  I have not taken the bolt apart because I don't have the tool and I have not totally disassembled the trigger housing for the same reason.  Nothing stands out as foul as far as the overall wear and appearance.  The one thing I always look for, when I see a paratrooper carbine, is that well-worn mark where the cast iron butt plate meets the stock.  If there is no wear pattern, to me that just doesn't pass the smell test.  

I have no history of wartime use of this carbine, but my M42 jacket does have a story (maybe for a later time).

These nice quality pictures and resizing are none of my doing; instead, the credit belongs to my darling wife, who doesn't mind spending entire afternoons on her days off resizing and posting pictures LOL. 

Edited by 03collector - Feb 21 2021 at 8:09pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 4:48pm
Good looking M1A1, any markings on that hammer? could not tell in the picture. Is that a wide or narrow slot sling swivel? btw the sling swivel is on backwards. Wink
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
03collector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 5:06pm
Hammer is unmarked will get back to you on the sling swivel. 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 5:38pm
Nice early M1A1. Post a Data Sheet when you get a chance. I'd like to add this one to the Spread Sheets.

Also, could you post a picture of the top of the trigger housing where the hammer hits on the left side?
JackP
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 6:55pm
very nice looking and in range of known m1a1's--you can put a lot of the smell test to back burner by fotoing the rear receiver wear to see if it matches up with recoil and top plate wear of the m1a1 action--any one with much use at all it finger prints them--also is some wear that takes place from the fatboy grip on the trigger house--check that out--yours looks like it will have those as just looks to nice
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 7:21pm
My old man was in the 82nd infantry when it became the 82nd AB. He stayed behind when the 82nd went to England to train the 101st AB. He eventually ended up in the 17th AB. He was a glider rider. Never talked about it much. I think he saw too much. He did talk a little about both the Bulge and crossing the Rhine. Wish he had told me more before he passed. I still have his insignias and ribbons as well as his wings. I even have one of his pay books when he was with the occupation troops for a short while. Nice carbine and jacket. BTW his Screaming Eagle is the early one with the white tongue.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Quark's View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quark's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 8:28pm
Fantastic looking m1A1! Would like to see a pinned topic on wear patterns of a true m1a1 sometime.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Also, could you post a picture of the top of the trigger housing where the hammer hits on the left side?

Is this the part you were referring to?  
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

very nice looking and in range of known m1a1's--you can put a lot of the smell test to back burner by fotoing the rear receiver wear to see if it matches up with recoil and top plate wear of the m1a1 action--any one with much use at all it finger prints them--also is some wear that takes place from the fatboy grip on the trigger house--check that out--yours looks like it will have those as just looks to nice

Is this the type of wear pattern you're referring to? You can clearly see that the wear pattern on the back of the trigger guard mates up with the pistol grip on the stock.  I don't believe you'll have that type of wear pattern from a standard carbine stock. 

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:37pm
"picture of the top of the trigger housing where the hammer hits on the left side?"
With the hammer cocked.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:44pm
you betcha! just make sure the pattern exists on the recoil plate--that is for sure a m1a1 original receiver-now you have to determine is the finger print matching on the stock recoil plate. I have matched up two m1a1 receiver guns with original m1a1 stocks--only God and I know they ain't real mates-well maybe they are but they were apart for years if so-two orig 1/2s melted together. There is a side wear that shows up down by trigger on on trigger house from the fatboy grip as well
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

My old man was in the 82nd infantry when it became the 82nd AB. He stayed behind when the 82nd went to England to train the 101st AB. He eventually ended up in the 17th AB. He was a glider rider. Never talked about it much. I think he saw too much. He did talk a little about both the Bulge and crossing the Rhine. Wish he had told me more before he passed. I still have his insignias and ribbons as well as his wings. I even have one of his pay books when he was with the occupation troops for a short while. Nice carbine and jacket. BTW his Screaming Eagle is the early one with the white tongue.

It's interesting to see that your father was involved in all three airborne divisions of the ETO.  I don't think there are many vets who could say that.  

The M42 jump jacket in the background with my M1A1 paratrooper carbine, along with the jump pants (not pictured), were given to me back in 1979 by a man who became a very dear friend of mine:

S/Sgt Edward Prusa
HQ. Co. 2nd BN
501st P.I.R.
101st A.B. Div. 

Ed participated in every action of the 101st Airborne during WWII.  He was awarded the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, two Bronze Stars, the French Fourragere and Belgian Fourragere, and the Netherlands Orange Lanyard.  
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 10:05pm

In this picture, you will note wear patterns on the rear edge of the trigger guard.  I believe this is caused by the wear from the pistol grip.      
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 10:37pm
This carbine has the narrow slot it should be the wide type swivel. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by 03collector 03collector wrote:

This carbine has the narrow slot it should be the wide type swivel. 

Here is what one of our very knowledgeable forum members (welbytwo) recently posted about early parts, "nothing ever wrong with too early--just bottom of skid , box or pile--be fearful of late parts"

Don't change that swivel. 

As JackP suggested, fill out and post a data sheet on that thing. Is the leaf on the flip sight marked?

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 6:53pm
The hammer makes a distinctive mark on the trigger housing, particularly on one that is well used. Notice the two dents where the hammer hits. The one on the left is from a dogleg hammer. The one on the right is from a later straight hammer.

This trigger housing was re-Parkerized after the dogleg hammer was replaced. Notice the bare metal exposed in the dent caused by the straight hammer.
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

The hammer makes a distinctive mark on the trigger housing, particularly on one that is well used. Notice the two dents where the hammer hits. The one on the left is from a dogleg hammer. The one on the right is from a later straight hammer.  This trigger housing was re-Parkerized after the dogleg hammer was replaced. Notice the bare metal exposed in the dent caused by the straight hammer.

I've taken these photos showing the wear pattern with the hammer cocked, you can clearly see a wear mark.  Other photo with hammer in fired position mates up with the wear pattern.  Unlike your photo showing your trigger housing, you can clearly see indentations in the metal, obviously from repeated firing.  You can see in my photo, there is very little in the way of any type of indentation.  The bore condition in this carbine is outstanding.  

It is my opinion that this carbine has been fired very little in its lifetime. My muzzle wear gauge reads about 1.5.  

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 8:23pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 8:27pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2021 at 10:13am
I'm convinced. That M1A1 is as good as it gets. Thanks for posting. That's three for three. What's next?
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>