Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Your Thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Your Thoughts
    Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 1:56pm
By observing the pics, please give me your thoughts on this Carbine.  S/N indicates manufacture date 1944.  Thoughts on stock, barrel band, sights, bayonet lug, etc.  I realize pics don't give "condition" of gun, but they do give a little something to view.  This carbine comes from an Estate sale and apparently has been in storage for quite some time.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1-6.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Feb 21 2021 at 10:34pm
314th Air Division
20th Tactical Air Support Sqdn
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
Personal and Up 'Close Air Support'
sirgknight View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 2:01pm
can't get other pics to post...how do i post several pics
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 2:58pm

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1-2.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1-3.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1-4.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1-5.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/6483/M1-6.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Feb 21 2021 at 10:31pm
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 3:06pm
Looks like a standard postwar rebuild, birch potbelly stock. As long as the barrel is solid it looks like a nice Carbine.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

Looks like a standard postwar rebuild, birch potbelly stock. As long as the barrel is solid it looks like a nice Carbine.

anything look original?
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by sirgknight sirgknight wrote:

Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

anything look original?

Can't tell from the photo's you've posted. The experts here will want info from the barrel and trigger group to tell what's what. 
mikbul View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 4:31pm
Looks like and Inland receiver post war re-build.
Mike W
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 5:37pm
Will know more when I get hands on......
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
Quark's View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quark's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 8:00pm
The stock looks sanded for sure.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:08pm
Looks like a cast recoil plate.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 10:44pm
Air Support, Thank you for taking the time to upload the pictures.

Some here like to take the easy road and suggest 3rd party software to display pictures. It may be good for some posts that become irrelevant once the discussion ends.
However, Many take the time and scour the forum in researching or for items similar to what they want to post before asking a question.

Nothing is more frustrating seeing a picture with a big Photobucket banner across a picture of a marking or one of the missing picture icon when some third party hosting deletes the picture.

It is understandable that they delete the pictures due to the cost of storage and bandwidth used when someone links a photo.

When the pictures are gone it makes some threads unusable and then someone has to go cleanup the thread or lock and delete posts. This just creates work for the forum.

We are always happy to to help anyone edit their pictures and even install them into a post as well as helping people understand how to post a picture.

Edited by New2brass - Feb 21 2021 at 11:31pm
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Air Support, Thank you for taking the time to upload the pictures.

Some here like to take the easy road and suggest 3rd party software to display pictures. It may be good for some posts that become irrelevant once the discussion ends.
However, Many take the time and scour the forum in researching or for items similar to what they want to post before asking a question.

Nothing is more frustrating seeing a picture with a big Photobucket banner across a picture of a marking or one of the missing picture icon when some third party hosting deletes the picture.

It is understandable that they delete the pictures due to the cost of storage and bandwidth used when someone links a photo.

When the pictures are gone it makes some threads unusable and then someone has to go cleanup the thread or lock and delete posts. This just creates work for the forum.

We are always happy to to help anyone edit their pictures and even install them into a post as well as helping people understand how to post a picture.

I'm not too savvy when it comes to computers, especially when it comes to figuring out software.  Did I do something wrong?
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 10:13am
not at all!  You did upload the pictures to the server. We will have to work on the next step.

The point of my post is to educate those who may not understand we are not the average forum, and the why we discourage the "easy" third parts software so that all posts remain relevant for the future. I am sure it is all meant to be helpful, but in the long run it is not helpful to this forum.

It takes a little learning to post from 3rd party as it takes a little learning to post on the forum.
We educate people on the carbine, I guess we have to brush up on our educating people on how to post pictures.
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 12:33pm
Yes, I think most folks just don't consider or realize that photos with 3rd party linked software or that are linked to another site eventually go away.

It is extremely nice to have the photos stay imbedded with the CCC forum so that it can be viewed and kept as a point of reference as long as the forum exists.

I, too, hate finding something I am looking for on other forums that may have been discussed, say in 2012 or 2015, and all of the pictures "posted" in the discussions have bad links and can no longer be viewed by anyone.

The "one picture is as good as a thousand words" is gone!
Chad
USN Retired
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 1:03pm
OK...so, will my pics remain in the thread or will they someday disappear?  First time I ever used IMGUR.  In the past I used photobucket because it was the "thing" back then.  I too hate to go back to some of my own posts showing photobucket pics that are no longer available. 
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 2:24pm
Strange that it has a flat bolt with the receiver's serial number. If it's a 5.3 serial number.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by 101Abn 101Abn wrote:

Strange that it has a flat bolt with the receiver's serial number. If it's a 5.3 serial number.

Good Eye for a Custom Knife maker.
I Cherish mine !!

Round bolts-
We'd expect some mixed use by Inland up to the 5,07.... range and Maybe even a little after.
I have 8 Inlands from 5,0 to 5,53. All are Round bolts after my Flat bolted 5,00, 5,01 and 5,06.

Ch-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 6:09pm
Wanna read something ironic?  I purchased an Inland back in 2007 from the CMP, S/N 538xxxx.  I gave it to one of my sons and it too has a flat bolt, bayonet lug, etc.  Not remembering the particulars on that carbine I started looking for another one just to have another one.  I bet I watched 50 auctions and viewed even more carbines before pulling the trigger on the one in these pics.  As stated, the S/N on it is 535xxxx.  When I looked up the S/N it showed 1944.  I did remember the CMP was made in 1944 also, so I called my son to get his S/N and that is when I realized that these two carbines were most likely manufactured in the same week back in 1944.....definitely within days of each other.  That's AMAZING to me....
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 6:13pm
Why would that be strange?  The CMP carbine that I purchased in 2007 S/N 538xxxx also has a flat bolt.  I'm guessing that the CMP sold a lot of similar carbines.
314th Air Division
RVN 67-68 & 68-69
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2021 at 6:20pm
Nothing strange about it, a rebuild is "like a box of chocolates".
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>