The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cleaning mags

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cleaning mags
    Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 4:25pm
I was given about a dozen carbine mags. They are all wrapped in a reddish brown material, and coated in dried out grease.  Some show some rust where the wrapping was worn through.   Now.....how do I get these things clean????  I tried some WD40, as it is what I have on hand.  It doesn't help at all.
What will work better????
Thank you.
Good Shootin!!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 5:49pm
I clean clogged-up bolts and parts by letting them soak a couple days in paint-thinner mixed with mineral spirits about 50/50. 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 6:58pm
I used mineral spirits on cosmoline. 
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 7:23pm
I have a couple mags wrapped in cosmoline. I don't need them for shooting, I have several for that. Is there any reason to keep them in the cosmoline? Obviously, I don't know anything about the mags themselves, just that they are still wrapped. They have been sitting in my gun safe for a long time.
Mark
Go Navy! USNS Mercy DS/DS
Best movie line ever! 'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!' -Fletcher
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 11:20pm
I would go ahead and clean them. There could be rust forming that could damage the mags. The only way to find out is to clean them.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I clean clogged-up bolts and parts by letting them soak a couple days in paint-thinner mixed with mineral spirits about 50/50. 

That's almost like saying I mix 1 cup of water to 1 cup of smellier water.
If you need your Thinner/Mineral Spirits a little hotter mix in some Lacquer thinner.

As a separate de-greaser..
Don't overlook Kerosene, it works very well.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

That's almost like saying I mix 1 cup of water to 1 cup of smellier water.

I was just showing out Charlie. 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 4:07pm
I figured you Typo'd,
Meaning you mixed some Lacquer thinner (It's hotter) in with your Mineral/Paint thinner.

We'd often do so for 1st clean when flushing our Airless pumps, guns and lines. Then finish up with straight Thinner. Often the Mineral and paint thinners get 'Stale' and need a little extra kick. Very little difference between Mineral and Paint thinner..... IIRC: smell, price, Toluene and Benzene (sp?)
Mineral more refined-less VOC. Paint thinner less refined-higher VOC

This is nothing to brag about but I've washed more Paint, Varnish, Stains, Sealers and Thinners off of me than most anyone would buy in their lifetime. 

That might explain how shaky I am and why I can't smell  Wacko

For Cosmo
My Father said they used Kerosene and or Diesel, which ever they could get while in the Philippines. Gas was his favorite but was hard to get a hold of. Cut down barrels set up for 1st clean, next barrels had cleaner fuel for 2nd clean off. All ended up being fire starter and used oils saved to skim the swamp water to kill mosquito larvae.

Take Care Floyd,
Ch-P777
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 8:40pm
I just received a 30 round mag from a friend, he said he was digging around in his old footlocker and found the mag.  It was still wrapped in the wax brown paper as well.  I disassembled the mag, plenty of videos on YouTube, I recommend norwich93’s videos.  I wiped the mag, spring, follower and baseplate down with a rag with mineral spirits.  Once done, I ran it under warm water and dried it, hit it with the air compressor to get the extra water out of places.  Lastly, I applied a decent amount of CLP to a rag and wiped down the inside and outside of the mag, spring, follower and baseplate.  Reassembled and ran some rounds thru it without a hiccup.  
Mschro79 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschro79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 9:08pm
Removed the cosmoline from the mags I had stored for a long time. I still need to clean them up. They are marked with I.I. I haven't been able to find that listed anywhere. I know someone here will know. 
Mark
Go Navy! USNS Mercy DS/DS
Best movie line ever! 'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!' -Fletcher
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 9:22pm
I believe that is International Silver for Inland.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 11:10pm
Guys after cleaning, try spraying the inside with spray Silicone, after it dries just a very light coat of oil. Try just 1 Mag. You'll be surprised how slick it will operate and repel moisture. A guy from my Rifle club got me to try it. Impressive results that last a season of shooting. I now apply it to the feed ramps also. 
I'm Happy with the results.

Just a tip, but try just 1 Mag for yourself.

Ch-P777 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 6:07pm
What sort of 'silicone' ? 

I'll be honest, on my firearms but especially the autoloaders I've been very cautious about leaving petroleum lubricants where they could be carried by the cartidge into the chamber.   I'm also a little paranoid about any sort of penetrating oils being where they could migrate into a cartidge.  So if I'm being a little over cautious - perhaps to the detriment of the feeding - I'd like to know that too.  Thanks.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 6:15pm
I suppose there could be a remote concern for contamination if you left them loaded in a seriously wet magazine or action, but only very remote. If one is loading and shooting, not likely even a remote chance.

The only time I have experienced contamination was using much-too-much case lube when resizing brass.  
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 6:24pm
I’ve never had an issue using Rem Oil or CLP on my mags, springs and followers.  I apply a liberal amount to a rag and wipe everything down inside and out.  I will then use a dry lint free cloth to dry it leaving just a fine film coating to the parts.  I had some feed issues with some old Korean mags and after using rem oil on them they have fed flawlessly.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 6:26pm
Re; Cosmoline.
I've always figured if it was still soft it was providing good moisture protection.
But if it was dried out then it could even trap moisture depending on how and where the item is stored.
This was more in context of automotive parts, tools, etc. 
What have you you guys observed?
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 7:57pm
I've seen and had rust form on mags that seemed like they should be well preserved in cosmoline.  Sometimes the coverage isn't as good as it looks. I've found it most commonly on mags with the red cellophane wrappings, but occasionally on the paper/fiber covered ones too.  Remember, these things were coated 40 to as many as 75 years ago. Dry spots can develop. Areas can be accidently wiped clear and nobody would notice. Its always best to be safe.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
DarryH View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 10:19pm
my mags all have the reddish cellophane-like wrap.  All dried and hard. I can't peel it off by hand. Regular gun oil did nothing
Good Shootin!!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 10:41pm
See painter777's reply above.
Certainly gun oil and probably WD-40 are mostly light to very light mineral oils.
To break down the wax or dried oil in the wrapper will require some sort of solvent.
I hate using water on steel so will not suggest hot water even though it might work.
Kerosene is possibly the mildest that might break it down - not sure I'd call it solvent although I've used it as a cleaner.  (My father must have gone to the same school as Charlie mentions. ) 

Mineral Spirits (paint thinner) is one of the mildest and that's what I'd start with if working in the house. It won't attack any of the finishes.

If that doesn't do it, then try somehting something a little more aggressive.   I'd hold off on laquer thinners except as a last resort.  They can eat into existing paint finishes.   Heck I might even try hot water first!  Any I think thats why the guys above talked about mixing it 50/50 with something else if you use it.

One more idea.  ATF like dexron/mercon is very high in detergents since its vital to keep varnishes from forming in an automatic transmission.  Could try soaking it overnight in a metal pan filled with ATF.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 11:30pm
Impressive Matt,  Clap

@DarryH,
Get Mineral Spirits, they now have the low odor. Which took some of the fun away for some of my younger guys at work. The ones I'd catch poking holes in their mask cartridges  Wacko
It comes in a plastic pail so try 1 magazine in... say a empty ice cream pale. Pour enough on to keep it nearly sub merged and snap the top back on the pale. It doesn't need to be in a vented container. When ready to peel it off try laying a grid or screen on top of the now open pail for the excess to drain off. Just keep adding mags and Spirits as needed.
When all finished you can let the solids settle... undisturbed for about a week. You can then gently pour off the top and save it in another 'Labeled' jug for later use. I have paint and varnish strainers, but if needed you can strain thru a piece of cut off panty hose, rag.. etc. Keep in mind the Spirits will be a bit weaker every time you recycle it. So probably best to keep using it for de-greasing.

The Spray Silicone I use I get from NAPA, I was using to spray the Plug wires on my pre 30's outboards, snow throwers, etc. Also works really well inside the neighbor kids spin cast fishing reels and Q tip the rod eyelets.
It's like -14 out right now. I'll look for the brand name tomorrow.
But as stated it keeps the inside on the mag tube and top feed ramp slick. 

Charlie-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>