Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are Parts Blued or Parkerized?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Parts Blued or Parkerized?
    Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 2:45pm
I am working on the data sheet for my rifle andI am having trouble determining whether certain parts are blued or parkerized. It is my understanding that parkerized parts are gray in color, maybe light gray or dark gray depending on the age and wearing on the metal or they may have a greenish color. Usually parkerized parts have a dull finish as opposed to a shiny finish.

I have some parts that are dull black. Are dull black parts considered to be blued? Or are these parts parkerized and the color is black, i.e. black parkerization? 

Here is a pic of the trigger housing and slide. Are these blued or parkerized?

Thanks...

Quibbley
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 3:12pm
Looks parkerized to me
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 3:14pm
Zinc parkerizing is grey and Manganese parkerizing almost black
lancer114 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancer114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 4:11pm
Was there a milspec for WWII weapons parkerizing as to which type to use?
Quibbley View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibbley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 4:38pm
Thanks guys. I will list these components as Parked on my data sheet.

Good question Lancer114 (from a fellow Virginian).
Quibbley
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 5:59pm
Most of the detailed original part drawings I've been able to find refer to MIL STD 171 finish 5.3.1.2. or 5.3.2.2. (manganese or zinc phosphate, respectively). Later drawings frequently use Spec 57-0-2 Class A or B which I suspect is a more contemporary, equivalent "Final Protective Finish" specification. I have also read where this specification has been replaced with the modern specification, MIL-DTL-16232G. All of these specifications are for phosphate finishes. Only a few parts are specified to be finished "Type III, Oxide Black" (AKA Blued).

An interesting note, the drawing I have for the Type 2 (round) bolt, dated 1943, calls out for a manganese (black) phosphate finish, not black oxide. However, the generally accepted belief is that original carbines were to have been made with bolts having a black oxide finish. I wonder...?   
JackP
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 9:01pm
I also struggled with the the color sections of a datasheet. One day a high ranking member made it crystal clear.

Think not of color
No park or blue; think Crayons
Describe what you see

Edited by m1a1fan - Feb 02 2021 at 10:50pm
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 9:22pm
WTF?
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2021 at 10:48pm
WTF? x 2
Don
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2021 at 8:43am

The Grand Rapids bolts have that dark phosphate look, don't they? They aren't that jewel blue of Wins, the black shine of later ones but have that dull, dark look.

My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2021 at 11:21am
I think what he's saying is that when in doubt about the finishing process, just describe what you see.

What I see in the photos above are a matte black finish.
Since I don't see texture in the surface, I'd be tempted to say 'blued' but I was not aware that manganese phosphate could produce a similar surface.  I've seen a lot more examples of bluing than of parkerizing.  So I still struggle in IDing the various types of 'parkerizing'  (I think many others do too.)
For the bolt pictured below, I wrote blued black on the datasheet.  I think that is correct but...

Post Reply Post Reply