Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Types of carbines in korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Types of carbines in korea
    Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 9:58pm
i have a question
Why types of carbines were used in the Korean war by US troops
All type 3?
Were types 1 and 2 also used or were all the models re-arsenaled before being delivered to the Korean conflict
I know M2's were used but i was trying to figure out if types 1 and 2 M1's were used
Thanks

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 10:06pm
I've seen pictures from that war that showed carbines in early, mid and late configuration. Of course some of them could have still gone through arsenal, but maybe not to a complete degree.
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 10:52pm
i was watching mash and one of the guys had an M2 carbine and it got me thinkin

choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2021 at 12:16am
Klinger normally carried a Garand on guard duty, though sometimes he was equipped with a carbine. Many of the single-episode soldiers and MPs passing thru were shown carrying carbines though.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2021 at 10:10am
i wasnt sure how the mil determined when and how carbines were going to be rearsenaled

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2021 at 11:12am
firstflabn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firstflabn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2021 at 2:45pm

Edited by firstflabn - May 23 2021 at 10:18pm
Shgheart View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shgheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 2:09pm
Hi. New to M1 Carbines. I have a guy that has a M1 Carbine he says was his grandfathers and Carbine was used in WW2/Korea. Thing is it doesn't have a High or Low wood cut out at hardguard. The Barrel band doesn't match type 1, 2, or 3 but looks like a universal type. The Carbine itself looks like at Type 2 from the safety, bolt, stock cut out, and stock shape. I have some pictures. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Shgheart Shgheart wrote:

Thing is it doesn't have a High or Low wood cut out at hardguard.

??? Would like to see some pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 6:09pm
Flaflbn
Respectfully
i was just making a comment and asking a question
Why does it matter if i mentioned mash

I was just curious if anyone knew if all types of carbines were in korea

Shgheart View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shgheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 10:45pm
Shgheart View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shgheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 10:47pm
Shgheart View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shgheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 10:51pm
Shgheart View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shgheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 2:22am
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 8:32am
nice rifle!
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 10:51am
Shgheart,
Interesting Carbine.  
Do you know what the serial number is along with manufacturer?, barrel date?, front receiver ring stamping?

Your first photo looks to be an extended type 2 front band without the lug (the flaring of the enlarged barrel shroud can be seen in silhouette).

Also on left side of receiver, the stock looks to have been relief cut.  I wonder if this is a test piece for the post war "Gaidos Selective Fire Converter", as shown in War Baby 1 pgs 256-257?  There are no photos of modification in a fully assembled Carbine.  Just an idea!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 12:04pm
@ jangle, It's a Universal stock, hand guard and barrel band. Relief cut is for a scope mount. You can see similar examples here:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
JackP
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2021 at 12:53pm
My bad.
I do not own any commercial M1's and don't pay any attention to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply