Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Photos of my Inland SN. 938

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos of my Inland SN. 938
    Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 3:59pm
I've been watching this forum for some time now. Not long ago, I read an interesting post with photographs of the New Zealand Fiji Guerrilla Commandos inland carbine SN. 931.  I couldn't believe when I saw it that this carbine was only 7 numbers off from the one in my collection.  That carbine, along with the data sheet, is almost a twin to mine.  The only real difference is that mine still has the front sight ears and my story is not quite as colorful. 

My story begins in 1968, when a very good friend of mine attended the Tri-State gun show in La Crosse, WI.  Back then, that show was sponsored by three different collecting clubs: one from Wisconsin, one from Minnesota, and one from Iowa.  At this show my friend came upon a dealer with at least 4 or 6 eight foot tables filled with M1 carbines, lined up vertically on each table.  There was a sign on each table that simply read "Your choice - $65".  My friend at the time was interested in acquiring a WWII M1 carbine with the early features (flip sight, no bayonet lug).  It didn't matter what make or whether it was high or low wood.  The one thing he did tell me is that of all the carbines on these tables, only a handful fit that criteria so it made his choice very easy.  The very first carbine he picked up was this one, SN. 938.  He thought to himself this seems interesting - only a 3 digit serial number.  He kept on searching, but as he was looking, more people started to gather around these tables, looking at all the carbines.  It was at that time he decided he'd better go back and grab the 3 digit carbine and call it a day. 

I purchased this carbine in 2018 from my good friend, but I had to pay a little more than $65. LOL It had a comma in the price. 

(I'll start another topic with the rest of the pictures; it won't let me add any more to this topic.)  In the photographs, you will notice that the trigger assembly is below the stock line.  I couldn't figure out why it was like that, because the stock has not been sanded (as I was told by several people who have seen the gun).  At the time this was the only super low serial numbered carbine I'd ever had in my hands.  In the story of the New Zealand commando carbine SN. 931, in the first photograph you can clearly see the exact same image of the trigger assembly not being flush with the stock.  My question is: is this common on low numbered inland carbines?  Hope you enjoy the pictures, and looking forward to any comments.  

I was able to upload the rest of the pictures, so I will add them here: 

Edited by 03collector - Jan 19 2021 at 5:58pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 5:03pm
Great pics! Keep them coming!
Does the trigger housing have the recess for the hammer spring?
03collector View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 5:27pm
I don't  think it does, haven't taken that apart yet. 
HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 6:12pm
The Dog leg hammer is marked with the H in the shield - Isn't that a WRA mark? (Hempmill)
M1DB
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by HARLEY08 HARLEY08 wrote:

Isn't that a WRA mark? (Hempmill)

No, not a WRA specific mark. Hemphill (H in the shield) rear sights were found on later Winchesters and others, (H in the shield) hammers were often found on early Inlands.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hydraglide View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydraglide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 11:33am
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures!  I am a newbie to the art of what I like to call "Carbineology", and joined the forum to learn and share with everyone.

Do you have a data sheet on this carbine?  It would be interesting to compare such an early Inland with those in my collection.. (a 267xxx, 379xxx and a 760xxx).

Have you shot it?  I mean, how can you not? Wink
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 3:04pm
Thanks for sharing. Nice pics and looking forward to more. Great looking Inland.
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 9:46pm
Practically a twin of my 931.  Here is a shot showing the markings on the 931 bottom of the receiver (Q and V) and the barrel flat (double stamped K and N).  Not sure but it looks like yours has Q and X on the receiver and maybe a Q, N, and D on the barrel flat.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 10:13pm
Hunterman, the marks on my carbine is Q D N if you look above the ordnance bomb it looks  like two letters R with a A over strike not sure.
When i saw the story of 931 i couldn't  believe our carbines  are only 7 number off. Thsts why i just had to post my carbine. Thank you for the reply. 
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2021 at 11:02pm
On your receiver, in front of the trigger housing lug, I think I see a Q and X where I have a Q and V.
Here is a post you may find of interest regarding the first Inlands that were issued.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03collector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 8:02am
Wow, when you have documentation like that its hard to beat. This isn't just a collector opinion but documented facts. This is why i came to this sight im only sorry it took me this long.
When i go to shows, its getting harder and harder to find people with this type of deep interest. 
Quark's View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quark's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 1:57pm
Daaam nice one!
HARLEY08 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARLEY08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2021 at 4:20pm
Unbelievable! super nice Carbine!
M1DB
 Post Reply Post Reply