The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"LC 72 Case Marked"??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "LC 72 Case Marked"??
    Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 6:56pm
I found some Lake City ammo for sale. Seller describes it as "LC 72 case marked"

Bought from the CMP. LC 72 case marked -- military surplus ammunition packed on strippers and bandoliers. 10 rounds per clip with a loading tool, 12 loaded clips per bandolier, 9x120 round bandoliers per metal M2A1 ammo can. Brass case, boxer primer, non-corrosive, non-magnetic true mil-spec ammunition.

Does the "72" mean it was produced in 1972?

Would you rather have this ammo to shoot or Korean Army surplus?

Edited by 101Abn - Jan 17 2021 at 7:26pm
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 7:48pm
I'll bet it's better than a double charged Tula..... 

Living Free because of those that serve.....
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 8:43pm
Wow, Charlie!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 8:56pm
I have shot quite a bit of LC 71/72 and various years of the Korean surplus. Yes 72 means manufactured in 1972. In my opinion they shoot about equivalent. So it comes down to price.

Haven't shot any Tula before, thankfully!
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 9:45pm
WOW!

So how did you figure out the case was double charged?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2021 at 11:44pm
"How"

Was Double Charged By a Drunk Russian!

I was looking for a picture of the Chinese Counterfeit LC52 ammo to show Dick=101Abn what the box looked like and came across a post where the guys were talking about Tula, Some saying they liked it because of the price, others why they didn't like the lack of Quality control after primer hits just led to a Sizzle with no flying projectile. Last guy posted these pictures above after his 1 load from a new box of Tula.
Appears it split the barrel down the slide rail .
There were no replies to him, no mention of any injuries. Though his was the last post, 3 months after the reply above him. 

I did read that the Fake Chinese LC52 was thought to be copied from Korean vintage.. Real USGI LC52... The Fakes produced by Chin Hung Low Co ( Big smile) in China and sold commercially in the US early-mid 80's. Also found this picture comparison that showed the primers on the real and fake stamped LC52 both were brass colored, but the fake had a clear primer sealer vs the real LC52 having the red primer sealant. And looking real close you could see the Fake has a different ogive. And you can see the extractor groove and extractor-groove bevels are different between the two of them. Letter and numbers are different, but I'd have a hard time trying to compare if they weren't side x side. 1 bullet was pulled from the Fake and revealed (surprisingly) that the Chinese had used a small grained Ball powder very much like real LC but had a different color. It was sent off for testing but no results were posted.
Was still seeing the boxed Fake at Gun shows and Gun Broker as late as 2010~

FWIW

Berdan with 2 Flash Holes:

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 7:51am
Apparently the fake LC52 is packaged in the soldered tins of 1200. I had not seen full cases before a recent auction listing.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 12:40pm
IIRC, that stuff also has corrosive primers.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 5:34pm
GotSnlB28  

Thx,
I've never seen the Tins either, just loose boxes.
Have always been leery of misc head stamped carbine ammo for sale.
I nearly blew up a S&W Model 19 .357 with new Federal ammo.
Later looked it up and seen my batch# had a recall.
Just reminded me of some ammo I set aside to look into years ago............ Pause......................

OK, Ammo question-
I just pulled out 12 full bandoleers. I boxed these up and put away maybe 10 years ago. They were thrown in as extras from a 2 carbine purchase. Set aside to look up the Head stamp and forgot about them. All the Bando's have the Korean writing on them. On strippers with the folded carboard inserts.

I have 2 Dates- 80 and 78 so far. Dates are at the 6 location. I believe I'm seeing a upside down KI at 2 o' clock. A 1 at 12:00 and Maybe a M1 or another KI at 10 o' clock... hard to make this one at 10 o'clock out. Red primer sealant.

Haven't pulled a bullet to check primers yet.
Is it Safe to say this is Korean Army Arsenal made? Non Corrosive ?
Am I describing the markings correctly ?
Has anyone came across these with your recent Korean surplus purchases?

Appreciate the needed help,
Ch-P777

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 5:56pm
@Charlie, yes the K1 stamped Korean is good, I received some in my 1st batch from SG ammo, shoots great. Mentioned it in the thread below.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

GotSnlB28  
.. All the Bando's have the Korean writing on them. On strippers with the folded carboard inserts.

I have 2 Dates- 80 and 78 so far. Dates are at the 6 location. I believe I'm seeing a upside down KI at 2 o' clock. A 1 at 12:00 and Maybe a M1 or another KI at 10 o' clock... hard to make this one at 10 o'clock out. Red primer sealant.

Haven't pulled a bullet to check primers yet.
Is it Safe to say this is Korean Army Arsenal made? Non Corrosive ?
Am I describing the markings correctly ?
Has anyone came across these with your recent Korean surplus purchases?

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 7:38pm
The 1 have in hand has the back printed like your's but NO KM or other marking in front of the M1.
At the bottom it doesn't say LOT, but has some Korean symbol and the rest I can't make out.

The Front is like yours except after BALL it just says M1 and on the bottom it says LOT the stamping isn't legible, but may be US style letters/numbers.
This bando has all 78 Head stamps except 1 which is a 80.

Not sure how to go about getting the bando markings more visible.
I'll have to rely on the Head stamps. Which is best.
I'll pull the rest out tomorrow.

Just got hollered for- Gotta run for the wet vac now the washing machine just filled the laundry room full of suds 

Censored

THx Matt
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2021 at 8:13pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 9:25am
@Wayne,
I need a Copy/Paste that I can lay down to read.... Thank You Wayne
It would save me a lot of 1 finger typing.... 2 if you count the Thumb for the shift key.

Your picture matches what I have on the 78 and 80 that I've looked at so far. Gotta take the Wife to a Dr's appointment this morning. I'll try to look at the others later today.
Also have to checkout those loose French head stamps. I'm about 99% positive their Vietnam era and would be corrosive.

Really doesn't matter, but do you think the marking @ the 10 o' clock is a IIV, another KI , M1 or a Korean character ?

Thx to all...

Ch-P777 
 Post Reply Post Reply