The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2021 at 6:29pm
mines in the 500 serial range. I like it since I can put optics and stuff on it. But within 100 yards I can ding my 8 inch steel plates with my inland standing up 10-12 times outta my 30 round mags so I’m pleased. So does my barrel positioning look correct to you?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 2:21pm
Never condemn a barrel until you have shot it....no matter what the ME measures. This one swallows a gauge and I call it a 4. I have shot these groups time and time again with this barrel, but decided I would show what an old import marked shot-out barrel will do. True, it's a 25-yard zero but the spread is not going to open much out to 100-yards for sure. These were reloads at 25-yards with a 6 o:clock sight picture. Shoots a fuzz high, but it's suppose to at that range.
Mortar-Forker View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortar-Forker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 2:42pm
Got out to the range to sight in a couple of ARs, a M1A, and a AK at 25 yards without pissing off the neighbors. I had a chance to shoot at a 100 yards too. I only did one magazine per rifle as it was getting late.

Inland:

Garand I was walking left and two probably hit off target right:

I did meet a guy shooting a Garand and Enfield that was really into Carbines. He was thinking of buying a Midway, but missed the boat before they were gone. He had never shot one so I got out the Inland at the 25 yard line and let him shoot a magazine. An Army guy from 1975-95, he was a pretty nice fellow that had a lot of cool military stuff. I hope he joins here. I told him he might find a connection on a good carbine.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:25pm
For some reason....my pix disappeared. Here it was.

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:28pm
I was about to say you forgot to post the picture! Yep good shooting, I find it interesting about ME not having that big effect on accuracy. Any thoughts on why? It’s contrary to almost everything I have ever heard 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:29pm
Floyd, you going to the Military gun show on the coast the weekend of October 29/30?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I find it interesting about ME not having that big effect on accuracy. Any thoughts on why? It’s contrary to almost everything I have ever heard 

I think it’s “how”’the muzzle is worn. If it is worn the same 360-degrees and to the same depth all way around….there is always some rifling farther down in the bore. That’s my theory anyway, for what it’s worth. This barrel shoots better for me than any other carbine I shoot or have shot, even one measuring .299 and another with an ME of 1. It’s repeated over and over, always shoot a barrel before you replace it based on an ME measurement. The crown is also very important. Counterboring could probably solve most ME problems.

I share tables with a couple of friends, but we limit our shows to Jackson, Natchez and Laure.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 3:50pm
Were you at the one last month at the Laurel fair grounds? I talked to a guy about an inland, he had a bunch of spare stocks and other accessories. It was mostly all carbines and carbine parts. I was talkkng to someone at the table who said he was just there and didn’t know to much about them, and when the main guy walked up the other guy said “hey talk to this guy he knows about the carbines pretty good” was that you??
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:48pm
Nope, we didn’t make that show. My buddies are getting on up in age (I am not far behind) and they are slowing down a bit.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2021 at 4:55pm
well I’m gonna scope this one out. It says “no modern” firearms, only milsurps, which is right up my alley. Hopefully it’s worth the trip. 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2021 at 7:42am
Yesterday's trial of my Midway Underwood had a couple feed failures, and also I think light strikes. 
:(   I'll start a seperate thread on the functional issues.

Got a nice spot on the range before it got crowded.  Temperatures were perfect - in the 50s? and no wind to speak of.   To keep things simple I aimed center of bullseye the entire day.

With this carbine my shots are much more centered left to right than I've been with my SG (see earlier posts here). 

First 5 shots were with the sight set to 200 yrds.  I thought these would group high - just above the bullseye, but they didn't!  If anything they seemed to be a little low.   Moved the adjustment down to 100 yards and left it there for the rest of the morning.  Only fired 19 shots because one cartridge failed to fire.

Next tried something new for me, shooting from the bench.  Used a box to provide a little bit of support under my left hand.  Then later shot 5 without support and that's the group the low.  I think this is a clue that either I'm pulling down or placing my eye/cheek inconsistantly.  Need a coach!
Used up a couple of partial clips, hence the shots fired not a multiple of 5 (my standard now).

Photography note.   To get better contrast photographing the targets at home, I hung an old blue sheet over a curtain rod in a window. Then clipped the target onto the sheet. 

My offhand shots were all low - that's me, but so were my sitting and prone rapid fire, the latter really strung downward.  This is why I'm thinking that I may be pulling the forestock downward or changing where I place my cheek on the stock (closer to the rear sight)

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2021 at 11:28am
I have to agree with Floyd about muzzle wear. Some years ago I did a test with 24 different carbines with MEs ranging from .5 up to 5. There was no appreciable difference in accuracy until an ME of over 4.5 was reached. As long as the wear is uniform, carbines are very forgiving of ME.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2021 at 6:30pm
Underwood (Italian return). Surplus PSD 86 FMJ.
Temperature just above freezing when I arrived but was warming quickly.  No wind.
100 yds, SR-1.
Worked on some different things.   The lighter smoother trigger is nice, although I haven't figured out how to make it work for me in off-hand.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2021 at 8:36am
Can you show how much drop changes with ammo that has significantly lower muzzle velocity?
Lets say 1900 fps.
Am I correct this is only an inch or so at 100 yards?
Are there other factors besides velocity that can make point of impact less consistant with less consistant ammo?

Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

With the original flip sight, the short range zero was 150 yds., the long range, 300 yds. I think 150 yds. is a pretty good compromise. I'm not super picky as long as when using the 100 yd. sight setting, my 100 yds. POI is POA to +3" or so.

Here are some tables that might help you decide.

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Can you show how much drop changes with ammo that has significantly lower muzzle velocity?
Lets say 1900 fps.
Am I correct this is only an inch or so at 100 yards?
Are there other factors besides velocity that can make point of impact less consistant with less consistant ammo?

You are correct, the difference is actually less than 1"-

There are other things that can change the POI, such as not using your natural point of aim, sight picture, et al.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2021 at 9:32am
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

There are other things that can change the POI, such as not using your natural point of aim, sight picture, et al.

You figured exactly why I was asking!   LOL

Last weekend's match I got 87 prone (OK), 71 prone rapid (big improvement but still grouping off the center), and 53 off hand ( Unhappy ).   My thinking was that changing ammo isn't going to change those results much.  Maybe a little in prone, but not rapid or off hand. I've shot standing in the 70s so I know I can do much better there.

The other thing its helpful for is knowing that if I do change ammo, the change in POI isn't going to be more than an inch or two at 100 yds.  If I see gross change, its something else, probably me.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

For some reason....my pix disappeared. Here it was.

Floyd, I cant believe you shot your wifes fine china like that! 
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 5:49pm
Guys, on your fancy ballistic tables (which are very cool and interesting by the way) can you explain to me what the difference or meaning between "path" and "drop" are? I imagine I know what drop is, but dont think i understand what is meant by "path?"
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 6:19pm
Path I believe is the bullet position to the line of sight.
David Milisock
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 8:59pm
I think that's right looking at the tables 35_Whelen posted.  Path is bullet position relative to line of sight.  With taller sights the initial position will be further below that line.  Drop is relative to the muzzle.

Looking back at the table from Federal's on-line calculator, there Drop is relative to line of sight.
I experimented with different sight heights and the taller sights increase the initial 'drop'.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>