The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Results
    Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 6:18pm
Last week I found out my local indoor range allows carbines.  It's only 25 yards but its also alot closer than the closest state range.

So.  I scaled and printed the 25 yard sighting target, and drew up a reduced 'A' 10" bullseye target.
Three goals for this session. 
1. See that it fires without issues.  1 round in the chamber. None in magazine.
2. Bench rest two 7 shot groups at the sighting target.
This got modified to 1 off hand and 6 shots bench rest.  Then 7 shots off hand.
(The bench was too low and I wasn't comfortable shooting that way.  Next time we'll raise it)
3. See how I do on the 'A' targets off hand.
4. (yea I know I said three. Get familiar with running the gun and work on good habits.) 

Had one failure to feed which may have related to my loading the magazine off the strip clip.

Groups were OK but seemed like I was losing focus, just a little, and need to work my skills. 

68coupe View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 7:44pm
Flip sight or adjustable?
Karl, 68 coupe
NPM, 43
Universal, 80
Kahr 1827-A1 Thompson 2019
SA M1 Garand 42
AO 1911A1
Taurus PT1911
Beretta M92(compact)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Had one failure to feed which may have related to my loading the magazine off the strip clip.

Not sure using a stripper clip to load a magazine would have anything to do with a failure to feed? 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 9:41pm
Thanks so much for posting your range results. It's nice to se someone shooting their carbine!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2021 at 11:02pm
Flip sight.  Although I have been planning to replace the leaf spring, decided to put that off.

Strip clip loading.  I'm not sure either.  Since it was my first time with everything.  The range had no .30 carbine ammo so I brought some of the Korean I bought last fall.  A couple of the guys at the range/gun store have carbines themselves but they were pretty busy.

Posting. You're welcome!  It's fun to shoot.   I definately plan to shoot it more.  I think the state game land range will likely allow shooting from sitting, kneeling, and prone.  

While cleaning the carbine I found the recoil plate was rather loose.  That may have contributed to my groups spreading.    Although I really think it was mostly me.

Be interested in what targets people use.  I liked the idea of a target similar to the military qualification target.  I figured that would provide appropriate sized bullseye as well as a goal for scoring.

shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2021 at 8:01am
Hi and welcome; since I have a 100yd range in my back woods we have fun with frozen beer/soda cans.Clap
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by shadycon shadycon wrote:

Hi and welcome; since I have a 100yd range in my back woods we have fun with frozen beer/soda cans.Clap

Empty beer cans I presume?😆
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2021 at 10:39am
Hi, what ammo? regards, Mike
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2021 at 12:41pm
Korean surplus ball that had been for sale last year (at a steadily climbing price).
lacrosse13bb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lacrosse13bb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2021 at 12:24am
Nice honest post about your session! Makes me want to go shoot!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2021 at 2:07am
Looks like you had fun at the range.

I use a variety of targets. Some I buy or print out. But being retired I'm on a budget so I repurpose paper plates and used pizza boxes. I love shooting steel and have several types of metal targets. I like the sound they make when I tag them.LOL I live next to a golf course and collect a bunch of stray balls that I shoot. It's fun to see them fly when hit.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2021 at 4:49pm
Hitting golf balls is impressive! 
Cheap is good :)  At least on stuff that's going to get thrown away.

This was the thread at CMP discussing WW2 and later  and qualification.

The statement about a pay incentive Marines who qualified as Sharpshooter and Expert got my attention. My dad qualified as sharpshooter on rifle (June '43) and I'm sure that extra pay was valued.  Oddly AFAIK he never was trained or qualified on either the carbine or pistol.

And this one had some excerpts showing WW2 and later targets.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2021 at 10:11pm
Range Day 5 March 2021.
Outdoors. 100 yards.
Wind fairly calm at first then picking up fairly strong  from the NW  (left to right).  No flags at the range but forcast was for wind in the 10 to 20 mph range.  I did not attempt to compensate. 

Part 1.
Warmed up with prone, slow fire.   Army A 5V Centers with 12" bullseyes
Seemed to be hitting low when using 6'o'clock hold.
The binoculars I brought were inadequate to see hits on the bullseye. 

Next was a home made sighting target.
Plan was 7 rounds with the sight set for 100 yard. then 7 rounds with the sight flipped for 300 yard.
Good news was pushing of the rear sight to the left after last session brought the shots on center.
Vertically the top of front sight seems pretty much to be point of impact.  I can live with that. 

However when I went to change magazines (range rules are 6 rounds max) , I noticed the rear sight had flipped to 300 yards.  Soooo, that probably explains why there's only 5 shots at the bottom of the target.

Leaving it for 300 placed next 7 above the target.

While waiting for the other shooters to get done and call clear, I let my buddy shoot a couple magazines.  I think that's why there are more than 14 shots on this target.  My fault I forgot to flip the site back to 100 yards and I didn't notice until he was just finishing.... whoops!

More later.  need to finish cleaning.

Edited by Matt_X - Mar 05 2021 at 9:23am
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 9:42am
part 2.
This was my attempt to run the 100 yard qualification tests from Table III of the field manual.
I was about 15 seconds overtime on 4 rounds standing, change magazine 4 rounds sitting.
And I was about 10 seconds overtime for the standing to kneeling.
Scores were consistantly 19 out of 20, but they wouldn't have been on WW2 era 10" bullseye 'A' targets.
All shots from this test are circled in blue

Green and umarked holes were from reuse of the targets but the targets started flapping around so many of those were shots attmpted when the target was momentarily still.  Sometimes just got to roll with the situation...

Had the second failure to feed when sitting on the second, aborted, run on the left side targets.

Another issue that probably should be addressed is the recoil plate slightly loosened.  Before disassembly for cleaning there was full turn of the screw before it felt snugged.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 9:49am
That's some pretty good shooting!Clap
I'd be happy with those results.  
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2021 at 10:29am
Sounds like a good start. 1 FTF I would say do another test and see. Worst case IMO you might need new springs. I had similar issues with a Plainfield carbine I bought last summer. new springs seem to have fixed the issue (I installed a new extractor also just to cover my bases)
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2021 at 10:30pm
Thanks guys.  I don't have the sort of experience with centerfire to compare.  Its one reason I thought using the 100 yard qualification tests would be a good place to start.  

Been thinking about the shots hitting low.  Is there any way that could happen if both front and rear sight are original to the reciever and barrel?   I'm thinking this probably is a clue this is not the front sight it was zeroed with at the factory.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2021 at 6:42pm
Ashamed of you guys.....  Disapprove

No tips on Barrel hang ?
No tips on Recoil Plate to Receiver lock up ?
Barrel Band fit ?
Recoil Plate coming loose during shooting sessions ?

I'll wager the man can tighten those groups by a minimum 30%

@ Matt_X......  PM Sent  Thumbs Up

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2021 at 7:03pm
What Charlie said, but never discount a bent barrel. I recently had one that I almost started to mechanic on some sights b4 I went to the trouble to check the barrel. Tweaking or maladjustment of sights can correct a slight bend, but bent enough, and you will never get it right. I would almost wager there are many carbines out there with bent barrels compensated for by sight adjustments. 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2021 at 7:36pm

NRA 50' Slow Fire Target

Shot from 50yrds

Top right circled shot by Dad standing.
Rest shot by my Daughter benched.

And ending the day with a S&W Model 19 .357

Then off to Parris Island

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>