The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2022 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Last weekend's match I got 87 prone (OK), 71 prone rapid (big improvement but still grouping off the center), and 53 off hand ( Unhappy ). 
I strugled a bit this Spring but last month's match overall felt like a big improvement.
77 prone, 83 rapid, 78 standing = 238

One of the old timers lent me a padded shooting mat which really helped cushion my elbow from the concrete.

I've been using the SG with flip sight, and PSD 86.

Sighters left, Prone slow right.

I think if I'm more consistant, keeping in the black is within the gun's capability.
The flyer on the sighter target being an extreme example of not being consistant.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2022 at 7:15am
Got a little sloppy with the rapid, and couldn't lock into as stable of an off hand this month. 
This carbine is definately capable.
Prone group is reasonably tight.  Maybe as tight as I've shot in these competitions.

35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2022 at 7:27pm

Got a little sloppy with the rapid, and couldn't lock into as stable of an off hand this month. 
This carbine is definately capable.
Prone group is reasonably tight.  Maybe as tight as I've shot in these competitions.

I really appreciate you continuing to post your targets, you're getting better and better. Oh how I wish there were carbine matches near me!!

Your prone group, although a little east of center, looks pretty good. Was that rapid or slow fire?
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2022 at 9:06pm
Thanks. That's prone slow.  We're given 15 minutes total for sighters and record.
About halfway through the shots for record I decided using the hasty sling could help.  I wish I had checked the spotting scope at that point. 

I had a misfeed on the second cartridge in rapid.  Fortunately was able to get it to close without dumping it.  So I lost my cadence and maybe why I rushed and strung them out.
Standing - I just don't know.  My feet and natural point of aim were right on, but I wasn't able to get the muzzle as stable and locked in as last month.  Maybe the heat. maybe the lack of dry fire practice. Not sure. 

Kindof embaressing but i did get a photo of them.

PS. When I looked at the results today, apparently what looks like a 7 was touching the 8 ring, so the slow prone total is 86. 
My score for July's match; 86 prone, 77 rapid, 60 standing = 223.

I beleive I can pull it together and shoot at least in the 80s in all three positions. 
Practice and maybe a notebook with observations about each shot like the military scorebooks.

I wish there was an actual carbine match around here too; but I'm glad they let me play with the big boys. :) 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2022 at 10:58am
After an unscheduled hiatus, I'm signed up for a match this Sunday.  Although I have not (yet) changed the stock, I'm going to use the UEF. 

For this session at the state range; fresh safety glasses, Magtech ammo, and 'calling' shots on carbine scoresheets for the SR-1 targets.   I tried to set up the spotting scope on the mat but it wasn't stable enough to use that way.  So after the first 5 shots, I set up on the table and got up to check each shot.  Yes it was worth it.

If I can only shoot this well at the match!!

Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2022 at 3:29pm
Dang Matt, All from 100? That’s some good shooting! Thanks for the updates. I need to get out and shoot but got a week old baby and I think my wife would use me for target practice if I tried to escape.
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2022 at 6:18pm
Nice shooting. Wish I had some matches near me!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2022 at 3:27pm
Thanks guys.  Definately practicing and trying to work on or isolate various aspects had helped.  Dry firing just about every night for the past few weeks.  When I have a question about position I check the April '44 FM 23-7.   If I could be a bit more consistant, and especially eliminate most of the 'flyers' I'd be super happy. 

The last target was one of those things I realized I just had to do or I'd have doubts about the sight setting.  Now on Sunday I will begin with the exact same setup and use a 6 o'clock hold.  If the sighters go low - because the gun is clean? or cold? I won't be surprised.  Building my confdence in knowing what I'm doing definatley helps going into a match.   All that said, I know I'm not in the running for top positions.  Really just want a respectable score and to improve against my own previous scores.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2022 at 10:12am
Taking notes helped.  However I came to the wrong conclusion when I saw prone shots 7 and 8 high of the bullseye on the second target.  I assumed it was mechanical, when it probably was me. 
That decision resulted in a nice but low group for rapid prone.

Target above was shot with sight elevation at 150.     For off hand elevation was returned to 200.

Weather was cloudy with a few rain drops as we finsished, wind minimal.
The new safety glasses were clear but did have a little fogging.   I struggled a bit on focusing the front sight - some days are better than others!  Offhand just wasn't getting locked except for a couple shots including the last.  I knew I blew two.

PS. I asked about the possibility of an occasional carbine match, and turns out it is something they've done in the past.  So, its a possibility.  I'll follow up to find out if there's anything I can do to help make it happen.  Maybe as a third relay after the As-issued service rifle match.

Edited by Matt_X - Oct 24 2022 at 10:40am
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2022 at 5:20pm
New old replacement stock and a .004 shim in the barrel band.
New, angled spotter scope with and stand.  What a world of difference!   Only one shot I couldn't find - possibily a brain malfunction - or just as it got more overcast the black became more difficult to see contrast.  Three targets prone, two off-hand.  I didn't see any real difference of POI  between PSD and Magtech. Took one click of left windage out based on the first two targets. Ate lunch as the frozen rain hit.  Good time to go home.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2022 at 6:10pm
Big smile
257 total.

Carbine: UEF Midway return.  Ammo: PSD 86
Partly cloudy with light wind, around 35 *F
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2022 at 7:27pm

Big smile
257 total.

Carbine: UEF Midway return.  Ammo: PSD 86
Partly cloudy with light wind, around 35 *F

Your shooting really seems to be improving. Great job!!
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2022 at 8:37pm
Thanks.  Yes much improvment.  My previous best at a match was low 230s.  
Earlier in the month I tried 1.0 X magnification safety glasses at the state range.   They make the front post sharp with no effort - saves a lot mental energy and I think its helped.  Since the range requires glasses, might as well make them a help rather than a hinderance! 
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2023 at 12:04pm
Used up the last of the magtech.  Certainly seems to shoot consistantly, although I was really surprised to see shot 9 on target 1 far out of the bullseye.  PPU groups not as good. However I think the groups reflect the operator more than the ammo.  Might just be a bit rusty and was getting tired mentally, having also done an ammo comparison with the revolver.

15 shots on targets 1, 2, 4.
10 shots on targets 3 (off hand) and 5 (prone rapid).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2023 at 3:31pm
Not shabby.  Still a bit rusty.  242 out of possible 300
I think the PPU is fine.
Had one round where the bolt did not close.   Possibly magazine related.  Fortunately it was hte last round in the magazine so was a quick fix.
As often is the case, shooting into the sun with the targets shaded.

Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 7:30pm
Perhaps a bit off-topic but related…short version any advice on a spotting scope?
Long version:
Recently moved to TN and had a chance to take my STD PRO to the new range today.
100 yards was the minimum distance (had only fired it at 50 yards at the CA range).
My new range doesn't have spotting scopes like were provided in CA so I did bring binoculars but I could only discern hits on the splatter target - and nothing on the surrounding paper at 100 yds.
Because I had to wait for other shooters to finish before heading down range to check - I ended up shooting a few too many rounds before realizing I was sending them high. Any advice on a reasonably-priced spotting scope good for 100-200 yards (I also have a Garand)? Will likely never use one at greater distances. Wish I had taken note of the make and details of the ones at the CA range; with 30+ lanes they couldn’t have been terribly expensive.
Thanks in advance.

T R
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 7:44pm
You can get a cheap one at harbor freight that will do the job for 100 yards, or you can get a much better one through Midway. A 50x will work just fine. The better scopes usually have several different lenses that allow for even greater magnification.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 8:44pm
I think it depends a little bit on the lighting, your eyes, and patience.
I found a cheap used Bushnell Sportview 20-60x60mm on ebay and it was just adequate.
At the state range, which faces North, shots in the black could be seen most of the time.  Fully zoomed was not sharp, probably due to loss of light entering.   Least magnified the holes weren't large enough to see.  
Conclusion 1: Something with 25 to 40x magnification was needed.   Also a better or larger lens than 60 mm ought to let in more light. 

The straight through viewing meant I had to move out of position between each shot.
Conclusion 2: For me, an angled scope would be better.

I bought a Vortex Diamondback HD 16-48 magnification, 65mm lens, angled.
It was more than I wanted to spend but also this was probably the minimum entry point for my needs.  I wanted to be able to call a shot and then check it visually. I did look on ebay for deals for an old Nikon or similar.  But too much $$$ or too far away (Japan!) to buy something and find out it needed repair (such as lens delaminating).

This scope is adequate at 100 and I think it would be OK at 200 yards but no place nearby to check that.  I was hoping it would also be good for birding and other wildlife viewing, but there its not so great.  The reason is that objects like tree branches take on a purplish hue. 

But for the purpose I bought it, it works.  Now at this past match a lot of people were commenting about the difficulty of seeing holes in the black through their scopes.  I too found it difficult and at some point stopped trying because the effort was getting distracting.  However, when done shooting the target, I took my time and could make out the hits in the black. 

After acting like a human Jack in the Box (see post Oct 19)  I bought Freeland's Universal Heavy Duty Tripod Scope Stand 1" Rods, with 'Zoom' mount.   That has worked well. 

Below is a photo from the May '22 match which provides a visual for the targets in shadow on this South facing range.

Edited by Matt_X - May 01 2023 at 9:06pm
Timothy View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 10:15pm
Many thanks Smokpole and MattX. Good details on what I should look for in magnification and the suggestions on makes to look at. Luckily my new home town is just big enough for a Harbor Freight, and certainly Midway knows me. Your info gives me a good start.
That’s a great looking range BTW.
T R
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2023 at 11:17am
This past week I tried fully setting up the Freelander scope stand with the heavy weight on the top of the extensions.  I'm not convinced the top weight added stability.  Maybe on a windy day it would have?

One hiccup on diassasembly was two of the rods stuck together.  A small channel lock and pipe wrench freed them.  I'll add some dry lube.  (They have to be screwed together tight enough so the scope doesn't swivel.)

Practice this week helped with the match on Sunday.
Cloud cover helped.Was a bit frustrated with my prone sustained. One of the experienced guys I respect said its jerking the trigger. That I should slow down and taking a deep breath between shots can help with that.

Off hand wasn't my best but I knew where each shot went.  Calling shots correctly was a majpr accomplishment.  On each of the high shots the front sight was cutting the bullseye. (I'm using 6 o'clocks hold at 100 yards).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>