Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood T1 Stock Question - RMC T and F stamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood T1 Stock Question - RMC T and F stamps
    Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 6:50pm
I’m saying “Uncle!”...I give up.  I have looked and looked and cannot find what the “T” and the “F” sling-well stamps stand for or signifies on an RMC made T1 stock.  In this case, the stock is on an Underwood (has UEF/GHD large box original stamp).

I think that these same “T” and “F” sling well marked RMC stocks were also on the actual RMC carbines as well.

Can someone please school me on this?  Dan?

Thanks!
Chad
USN Retired
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 7:34pm
The F & T show up on the early Underwood stocks supplied by RMC. To my knowledge they do not appear on RMC stocks used by Rock Ola. Their significance has not be confirmed. Probably an inspectors marking.
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 8:07pm
Yes...and the weird seriffed font and the letters are each kind of randomly stamped.  Ok...so nobody really knows, just speculation.  Another carbine mystery!

Thanks
Chad
USN Retired
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 8:12pm
Chad
USN Retired
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 8:25pm
Reported as an "Unusual Stock Marking" in CCNL 327. Noted as a transfer of T1 stocks from Rock-Ola to Underwood. There's no mention of the significance of the "F" and "T" markings. War Baby! pg. 376 also mentions 500 stocks transferred Oct. '42.

(Ref SS)
JackP
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2020 at 10:19pm
Appreciate the info. 
Chad
USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply