The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 4:40pm
Hello Recently received my Dad's M1. He was a WW2 vet but not sure about the rife as it was purchased may years later. I am curious about its history. It fires and is in pretty good shape. My sons and I argue over it at the range about who gets to shoot it.  The receiver is Saginaw S'G' with Underwood 6-43 barrel. Any suggestions on where to search for info? In advance thanks.  
Best
Ray Marion
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 5:44pm
Hey Ray,
Welcome to the forum. Is your serial range 1.79-1.85 mil if so barrel could be correct? There is a lot of info available on this site. Just post pics and ask questions.

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 8:57pm
Ray, welcome to the forum. Detailed photos and specific questions are requisite for best responses from knowledgeable folks on the forum. Searching old thread topics is very useful as well. I've learned alot here and you will as well.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Ray Marion Ray Marion wrote:

Any suggestions on where to search for info? In advance thanks.  
Welcome to the forum.  The answer to your question, as a couple others mentioned, is right here.  Main thing is to post pics.  In case you haven't already, click on the carbine at the top of the page to take you to the references page.  Also, if you aren't already, then you should brush up on disassembly to get to all the parts.  There's lots of sites with "how to's".  One simple reference is this link to The CMP page on M1 Carbines...scroll down and there are several good reference links.

Depending on how much interest ya'll have you might want to get a book.  There is one or two to steer clear of and I'll not get into that.  However there are some worth having and others can help on this subject.  I will say I started with Riesch's book (7th Ed) and have several corrections penciled in as more info was learned.  You'll see on this forum the history of these little rifles is still evolving thanks to people like those on this forum.   Riesch is up to the 8th Ed.  Here's an Amazon link but you might want to Google around to verify best prices.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Carbines-Wartime-Production-8th/dp/1882391543

Looking forward to seeing your carbine.

And Merry Christmas to you and your family.  Same for all the forum members too! 
Ray Marion View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 8:39pm
Wow. Info overload already! Thanks all.
Best
Ray Marion
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 3:17pm
Curious to know if this is a correct combo for the barrel and receiver. Thanks in advance.
Best
Ray Marion
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 4:52pm
You have no idea what you have started! Welcome to the nuthouse!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Ray Marion Ray Marion wrote:

Curious to know if this is a correct combo for the barrel and receiver. Thanks in advance.

You stated a 6-43 barrel but it looks like a 9-43 in the pic, not 100% sure but I think a 9-43 U-Wood barrel could be correct for that receiver. What's the "P" proof mark look like?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 5:25pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

I would expect an August or September 1943 Underwood barrel for that serial number.

(Ref SS)

JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 6:16pm
Hello. Of course I know what I started! Normal is boring. LOL. I can not find any Proof mark on the barrel. I removed the bayonet band clip and looked top, sides and bottom. As for the x-43 date it is worn down and so far still hidden. Thanks Here is a picture of the front sights. Thanks for the info.
Best
Ray Marion
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2020 at 7:33pm
Is that a punch mark on the barrel about 2 inches down from the ordnance bomb? If so, that is likely the proof mark.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply