Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuild Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doolinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild Markings
    Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 6:53pm

Edited by Doolinboy - Nov 29 2020 at 9:12pm
Doolinboy
Doolinboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doolinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 9:30pm
I was wondering if anyone could help me with the markings on the side of my M1 Carbine.
I purchased it from R.T.I. As few weeks back. The receiver appears to be a Rock-Ola with the R and A showing with and the beginning and end and the other letters covered by a fixed site. (Type III ?) with I.R. co. 7160060 stamped on the side. The barrel is an Underwood Barrel with a bomb and flame insignia and the date 1-44 under it. The stock is a Winchester with W.R.A. Stamped on the side with GHD underneath it. It appears to have two rebuilds with AAK ( Augusta Arsenal ?) and AOZ on the same side in larger letters.
I’m new to your group and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Marty
Doolinboy
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2020 at 1:06pm
Serial looks to start with 461
Rockola had a serial block of 4,532,100- 4,632,099. This would confirm a Rockola receiver.

Yes that is what we call a type 3 sight, which was an upgrade probably from a rebuild. The
Underwood Barrel was not used by Rockola, so further proof of a rebuild.

Augusta Arsenal used AA plus a third letter presumably an inspectors identification. It is not uncommon for stocks to have two or more rebuild markings. the AOZ is a bit out of the norm, however if you look at out post war ops page you will see a double stamped Augusta rebuild mark with a serif Z consistent with what you have.

I must say some collectable stocks have come out of the RTI carbines. In your case a highwood with the WRA/GHD and crossed cannons markings. The GHD are the initials of the Chief Ordnance inspector for the Springfield Ordnance District, Brigadier General Guy H. Drewry

Many times those markings get sanded off during rebuild.

Doolinboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doolinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2020 at 3:01pm
Dan:
Thank you very much for your thorough review and information on the M1 Carbine.
I will go,to,the website you mentioned and see what else I can learn.

Thanks for all your help.
Marty

Doolinboy
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2020 at 3:07pm
Marty. That is our website!
If you go tot the top of the page and click the carbine picture you will be brought to the main pages.
Warning, you will spend hours as there are many many informative pages!

Best, Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply