Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Different M1A1 Carry Case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different M1A1 Carry Case
    Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 8:08pm
Here is a carry case for the M1A1 that I have not seen before.

1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2020 at 11:03pm
Perhaps it is custom?
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 12:26am
It seems made to protect and carry the carbine but not during a para jump.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 10:27am
Originally posted by hunterman hunterman wrote:

Here is a carry case for the M1A1 that I have not seen before.

Thanks for sharing this, I've never seen one like it. 
I searched around and couldn't find another.

But did come across a Interesting Site called Para Research Team that mentions:

'Variations with attached magazine pouches and/or white parachute harness material, well known as being highly collectable '

Here's a link:
https://www.pararesearchteam.com/Airborne/Airborne-012.html

I found the M1A1 and Griswold cases under GEAR on their homepage:
https://www.pararesearchteam.com/indexChoose.html

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 10:52am
WB2 pg 646 shows a drawing of M1A1 carry case that is believed to be from the Vietnam era.
It looks like the handle is on the opposite side and it zippers closed

One thing that is clear is that a M1A1 spend time in that case!

The belt mounted Para case used "klick it pull" type fasteners

The Quarter Masters Corps would routinely make up needed items. I wonder if this is one of them.
It is also possible that it is a foreign made bag.

I am assuming no manufacturing name. Can you make out the inked name or wording, it might be a clue.
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 11:23am
There are names on the inside and outside of the flap.  One of the names on the inside is "Barham".  I can't decipher the rest in a manner that makes sense.  On the outside is "___ Shepherd USMC".  All the names are handwritten.  The case was with an M1A1 that spent time in New Zealand. 

Edited by hunterman - Nov 21 2020 at 8:31pm
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 11:44am
'Variations with attached magazine pouches and/or white parachute harness material, well known as being highly collectable '

I think they are referring to the regulation case with the regulation carbine magazine pouch sewn on it and part of the rigger modifications pieces of equipment.
Some copies can be found.

This one looks like to be a one off. It is not on the regulation pattern and except for the top handle there is no other provision to carry that case.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 12:46pm
Lot of Rigger work done in New Zealand and Australia when the 503d PIR arrived Dec 1942............. Trained for 9 months. Jumped on Nadzab/Markum Valley Sep 5th 1943.

More info including proof M1A1's were there and video links here:

I'd think with no makers mark that being field/rigger made out of country a good possibility.
I'm positive I've never seen one before.

Enjoy your weekend

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 7:21pm
Hunterman,
Can you describe any markings on the fasteners ?
I have a Australian asking ?
If marked United Carr... He says Canada
If Carr Aust...... He said it would be Australian.

Edited by painter777 - Nov 21 2020 at 8:23pm
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by hunterman hunterman wrote:

I can't decipher the rest in a manner that makes sense.

That's because I was thinking like an American.  The "E. Barham" was easy enough.  I decided maybe the second line of writing represented a place or something of military significance.  A place that begins with a "Te".  I looked into North African battles but came up empty.  Then I thought (what should have been the obvious) what about New Zealand?  Juggling the possible unidentifiable letters around, I found the New Zealand town of Te Awamutu.  A match!  And looking at list of NZ men entering the service in March 1942, I found Edwin George Barham, of . . . .  Te Awamutu!

And, painter777, here is a shot of the back of the fastener inside the mag pouch.

So, made in Canada, carried first by a New Zealander, then by a Marine.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2020 at 10:30pm
Hunter,
I'll get more info to you, but for now I co-investigated US / Allied troops training in Rotorua, east of your guys hometown of Te Awamutu. Allies had  training camps and temporary bases set up to practice artillery and invasion tactics in the New Zealand terrain similar to areas held by the  Japanese.
Where they built their camps near Rotorua and Western Highlands, the roads were named Roosevelt after Eleanor Roosevelts surprise visit to see the troops and red cross. Along with other US related road names, republic, government...etc.
Many of those roads are still there. The camps were built up and lived in by locals after our forces left.

Read my posts, it will explain some. I'll pass more along later:

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/war/us-forces-in-new-zealand/the-camps
https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/us-marines-training-tararua-ranges

Note: "The Quartermaster Corps took over large warehouses and areas of the wharves"
This was a huge part of preparing for the Pacific battles to come.

Later
Charlie

Looks like you'll have to highlight my links, then click to go to.

Edited by painter777 - Nov 22 2020 at 10:14pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2020 at 10:30pm
Sadly Mike O' Hagan passed away June 2020. He was a avid carbine collector and a valued member of the CC. He was a retired Detective.

@ Hunter,
This is worth reading:

And these 2 videos are worth watching frame by frame. You may see your M1A1 case. It used to let you look frame by frame, but I could only stop and pause the videos when looking.
I seen some extended pocket Griswold and seen what I believe are fabricated leather pouches for the M1A1's. Also see many troopers loading the planes with no type of jump case.

Post Reply Post Reply