The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ok, it's Ugly Stock Nite, this ain't for the weak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok, it's Ugly Stock Nite, this ain't for the weak
    Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 6:47pm

Yeap, that's ugly Big smile . My Plainfield Carbine in a Monte Carlo style stock I saw at a LGS today. I asked the guy what he wanted for it (it's been sitting there for a year, I cruise this shop every few weeks) and he says "$20 bucks" I say ok, slap him a $20 and take it home. He'd wanted $100 a year ago and I figure the USGI recoil plate in it is worth that Big smile 

Don't worry, the Plainfield's in this

The only reason I'll use the Monte Carlo is if I do a musical stock swap next spring. I've a Fulton Armory Paratrooper model on order and might use a Boyds stock I'm about to finish (my 2nd) on it. That stock there would go back on my "shooter" USGI Inland 1944

Post your ugly stock, I need the company Big smile
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 10:25pm
"Post your ugly stock, I need the company"

Be careful what you ask for !!
Meet Franken Stock  Dead
Has almost as many scars as I do.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Meet Franken Stock  Dead

You win Smile
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2020 at 11:17pm
I Won, I Won !!
I didn't even have to mention that this was Audie Murphys' original wired together stock.

Wait.. It's Friday the 13th... Shocked

Your not waiting for other entries....? Ah screw em.
I knew someday, somehow I'd make the Big Time !!
I'd like to Thank the little people I stepped over even if they supported me thru the good and bad times.
Thru bad health and good health.
The good buys and the not so good buys.
The times I listened to Marcus and the times I didn't.
For them but mostly for myself I humbly accept this award........

Wait, What did I win ? Ermm

Well whatever it is I deserve it  Cool
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2020 at 6:39am
I was reading an article about a guy who broke his stock when he arrived at a competition and decided to mount his receiver and barrel to a 2x4 and won. 

Edited by Beezer - Nov 14 2020 at 9:03am
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 12:23am
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Meet Franken Stock  Dead

I hope this does not sound dumb, but could you share more about this stock? I'm interested in knowing more about it.

As far as ugly goes to get back on track, I have an ugly M2 stock that was cracked and repaired using small nails when I got it, and since it is beyond saving, I decided to use it as a drill practice aid when I was in high school as I was on my JROTC unit's color guard. If I can remember to dig it out I'll post up a couple photos
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 3:49pm
@ Don, is that a Fajen stock? Some guys collect them!

OK here is my bid for a ugly stock that I received Friday.

It is "as delivered by the government."

I do not think a staple gun could help Cry

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 3:52pm
Ok, time for some pretty stocks

New Boyd's stock I did for my 43 Inland. I'd done one a few weeks ago then messed up the butt plate on my Plainfield. I decided just to move stocks around and put a USGI style on that.

Family photo, the walnut stocks on the 3 on the left do look nice (the Fulton Armory 2nd from the left came with one).
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

@ Don, is that a Fajen stock? Some guys collect them!

OK here is my bid for a ugly stock that I received Friday.

It is "as delivered by the government."

I do not think a staple gun could help Cry

I believe it is. If someone wants it I'll sell it for the $20 plus shipping. It was purely a impulse buy. I don't need the recoil plate that bad, I've a extra if I need one from a birch stock I screwed up over the summer. I've the birch stock from the 43 Inland still as a spare stock if I need one down the roud 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 11:33am
Here is a submission from Ron Dalhamer
Reported as a CMP auction in April 2019

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2396/CMPstock.jpg

It sold for $2990. Check out the vertical patch which has been seen on some Greek returns.
Two screws going all the way through from each end above the pistol grip.
An ugly wart above the trigger.
An array of shiny vertical pins that look to be for a crack going from the rear to the safety area.
It looks like a smaller pin is going upward just above the safety.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2396/CMPstock1.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2396/CMPstock2.jpg

Evidently it was considered suitable for service from where it was returned from.

Can you smell the cosmoline?
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2020 at 5:06pm
I won't lie, I kind of like that M1A1's stock. There's something about repairs and stuff like that I find interesting. That "wart" appears to be little more than verdigris from the rivets, unless I missed what was being talked about?
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
 Post Reply Post Reply